Help on scratch spin - multiple revolutions | Golden Skate

Help on scratch spin - multiple revolutions

cinnamoninja

Spectator
I'm going to upload a video of 2 okay back scratch spins of mine and one I literally fell out of.

I'm an adult skater (23) and only just got my backs scratch spin in January after not being able to do it for years.

The spin one day just worked, even when I switched to new skates. It's like I one day found my sweet spot perfectly, but when it comes time to bend my free leg and try to get it into the lower position, I lose my balance, fall or just can't hold it. Any advice would be appreciated because this spin to me is easier than scratch and I don't want to lose it :( Any advice for getting more revolutions would be appreciated too.

loveohio

Rinkside
As you glide on the edge into the spin your left arm is held very low, which is causing your shoulders to be tipped off-center and forward, and your rear to stick behind you. This is making it more difficult to establish center in your spin. The correction is to keep your arms higher with your right shoulder held solidly back, bend your knees more, and keep your body aligned more up-and-down. More advanced spinners can enter spins from all kinds of crazy angles, but newer skaters need to keep everything aligned to learn how to center a spin. Good luck!

cinnamoninja

Spectator
As you glide on the edge into the spin your left arm is held very low, which is causing your shoulders to be tipped off-center and forward, and your rear to stick behind you. This is making it more difficult to establish center in your spin. The correction is to keep your arms higher with your right shoulder held solidly back, bend your knees more, and keep your body aligned more up-and-down. More advanced spinners can enter spins from all kinds of crazy angles, but newer skaters need to keep everything aligned to learn how to center a spin. Good luck!
going to try these corrections tomorrow! Thank you!

cinnamoninja

Spectator
when you say right shoulder held solidly back i’m confused- are my shoulders supposed to stay square and my arm be solidly back or is my shoulder supposed to be ? Because if I turn my shoulder my upper body follows and I’m off center again?

mskater93

Record Breaker
You'll need to learn to isolate shoulders from core. Getting your right shoulder solidly back should not get you off center but up over your right side to spin. I spin CW - I keep my left shoulder solidly back which pulls my core up over my left side and my right arm comes in over that left side (as if I were rotating Axels or double jumps).