Help on skating backwards and stops | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Help on skating backwards and stops

nebbalish

Rinkside
And as for skating backwards, I'm not too nervous about going backwards, it's just that I tip forward when I go too fast or I can't bring my feet back together on the swizzle and I end up almost in a split and get scared haha. I can't even do backward wiggles for some reason. I just can't figure out how to shift my weight correctly in order to move backwards in that motion. If I lean forwards on the blades a bit and turn my skates out, I move backwards a few feet but then I get stuck lol

Thank you!

Pull in your feet with not only with the direction of your ankles/feet but your butt and inner thigh muscles! It might be helpful to imagine a spring in-between your thighs you want to squeeze with your inner thigh muscles :)

Tavi...

Record Breaker
Yeah I wasn't gonna take lessons over the summer because I want to get to know the coaches during group lessons at the college rink so I could figure out who would be best for private lessons. Plus none of the rinks at home offer group lessons during the timeframe I'm home for, so I'm kind of stuck on my own.

And yes, I got them at a fitter. :) They're heat molded and everything so they fit real good.

Anyways, yeah I won't worry about the t-stop for now. I don't want to accidentally do anything stupid and mess up myself or my skates. Thank you all!

Have you considered signing up for a few private lessons at your local rink? You don't need "the best" teacher to get started - you will just be learning very basic stuff - but it will be much easier for someone to show you show to do things and correct your mistakes. You can still sign up for group lessons in the fall at your college rink - you'll just have a little bit of a head start.

doubleoxer

Rinkside
I actually didn't even think of that! I think I may look into it.. I'm just so shy and I'm a chicken when it comes to asking about stuff, but I may just do that! Thank you!

Tavi...

Record Breaker
I actually didn't even think of that! I think I may look into it.. I'm just so shy and I'm a chicken when it comes to asking about stuff, but I may just do that! Thank you!

Don't be shy - everyone had to start somewhere! Just to make you feel better, I started as an adult in group lessons in a poorly fitting pair of skates and I think I fell three times the first night. I think I fell more than anyone else in the class but I loved it and kept going. Nobody will think poorly of you for being a beginner, and most coaches I've met are very nice and helpful.

doubleoxer

Rinkside
Thank you! Yeah the people at the rink do seem to be nice but I get a little intimidated when I see like seven year olds with their coaches and they're doing such advanced moves and I'm struggling just to move forward without running into a little kid haha. I'll look into taking a few lessons maybe, though. Thank you so much!

kathrynskates

Rinkside
What helps is to first learn a basic one foot snow plow. I found it hard also to do a full snow plow stop with both feet until I learned it with one foot first. T-Stops are a bit more advanced since it's dependent on an outside edge, you will learn it eventually. Be patient and good luck.