Highschool | Golden Skate

Highschool

Dutch Skater

Rinkside
As you will know, i live in holland.. Anyway i'm always wondering what it would be like to be on highschool, here we do have some sort of a thing like highschool but its all a bit different.. My question is, is it really like in the movies with the cool kids and the nerds and stuff? And what about cheerleading, football, maybe even figureskating?

So, who can tell me how its like to be on highschool in america? :cool:

If you want to, I can tell what its like to be on a dutch school :p

CzarinaAnya

Medalist
Well, all the "Clique's", as we call them are. The "populars", such as, jocks, cheerleaders, and close friends of those jocks and cheerleaders.

Another group, drama & band, which at my school, pretty much stuck together. My group of friends were all either in band, drama, or both, and most were in our Bible Study that we had on a certain day before school started. Anyone was welcome to join in, in these groups.

There was a couple "smart" groups, too at my school. The intellectual's and math/computer nerds. The intellect's could easily be in the popular group, but the computer nerds, never.

Then, there were the Geeks, who were usually awkard, shy, and kept to themeselves, mostly. I had to stick up for some on a couple occasions. They were usually nice kids.

Ohhh, I forgot about the pot-head and/or rock band boys...and the groupies, lol.
I had the biggest crush on one of them. Most of them were sweethearts. My crush became my boyfriend, and I tried to encourage him to get out of taking pot, but it didn't work. I didn't really understand what I was dealing with, when it came to drugs. sigh..

That's all that I can think of, for now.

Last edited:

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
the movies tend to exaggerate the worst of all of the groups, but yeah that's basically how it is....

depending on where in the Country you are a certain sport tends to be most popular (in Southern states it's football, here in Alaska it's hockey)

figure skating being a school sport? I know that a lot of school sports gear catalogs have figure skating stuff, but AFAIK schools don't have skating teams... I could be wrong though

Colleges have skating "teams"

heyang

Record Breaker
Movies totally exaggerate. Most of the population is just there. If I have to generalize, then I'd say...

Athletes and associates (which would include cheerleaders and the cooler band members.)
Academic - not the same as nerds. Concentrating on courses with college in mind, but good proportion are also involved in other school activiites.
Participants - people who get involved in school activities like student government, yearbook and other non-athletic roles.
VoTech - just there because it's required by law. Not college bound. typically pursues vocational job training.
Nerds - people who want to be in the cool groups and come off as awkward because they are trying too hard.
Snobs - usually fall into a variations of the 1st 3 groups, but think a bit too highly of themselves. They aren't as popular as they believe. They can be nice as individuals, but a bit annoying as a group.

Everyone else is just general population.

Just my viewpoint from a long time ago.

Teresa Dawn

On the Ice
Our schools have skating teams but it is new, I think because the senior girls in the local skating club all reached the high school age near the same time and most went to the same school and started the skating team up, then the other schools followed.

Dutch Skater

Rinkside
Aah that sounds like a movie.. Hehe in our school its just SO different!

In holland, atleast at my school, we do have the populair kids, and the nerds.. But its not with the teasing, the bitching of something else.. We do have a soccer team (thats really populair in holland..) but in our school the soccer pretty much sucks.. We also have a ballet-team.. But its not like the cheerleading team with all the populair kids.. These are kids who can dance like the best! from the age of 12 to 17... sometimes 18..
Ohyeah, we don't have lunch like you do.. In the summer, everyone is laying on the grass behind our school and everyone, also the ''populair'' kids, are eating lunch from home..
We do have a cantine, but it's with candy and drinks.. Sometimes a good sandwich.. but thats it.. No warm food at all..

Oh in holland, we do have sport-schools, those are for the pro-athletes, so they can cut school during matches, competitions and extra trainings..

I think our school pretty much sounds like heaven if your one of the nerds who is getting teased :p

What do you think?