How do you know if skates are "too stiff" or "not stiff enough"? Beginner Adult Help | Golden Skate

How do you know if skates are "too stiff" or "not stiff enough"? Beginner Adult Help

lyssx

Rinkside
Hi!

I'm a new adult skater - I "started" at the end of May but really only started working in earnest at the beginning of this month. I go to the rink almost every day.

I have been doing artistic roller skating for many years before this (and still do it), so I went ahead and with some research got myself a pair of Edea Overtures & Coronation Ace blades from the same skate supplier I get my roller skates from overseas, since they sell package deals, mount them, have free 2 day international shipping, and are much cheaper than I see them being sold for in the States. I skate in Edeas for roller and was fitted for them many years ago as being the best brand for my foot, so I figured going for the same brand would be a good call. I'm progressing (what I think is) quickly - in about 12 days I've learned up to my outer forward 3 turns, bunny hop, and an inconsistent waltz jump. I'm driving all across my state and taking several LTS classes at once and buying ice time to practice.

I'm beginning to think I should have gone with the Edea Choruses instead of the Overtures (or maybe something else entirely), because I don't feel very supported, especially when I try to do strong edges or land a waltz jump. I have pretty strong ankles from skating roller, but I don't feel like the boot is stiff enough. I can't tell if it's just my technique though or if I just didn't get the right boot. It could all be in my head and I might just need to get better. Would it even matter yet for the things I'm doing? I like my roller skates stiff and those are rated higher than the boots I'm ice skating on, which could also be where some of the disconnect is. They may "feel" not stiff enough because I'm comparing them to my roller boots. It could 100% be mind games. I realize now I should have just gone to a fitter in the first place, but too late now...

I'll be starting private lessons eventually, but unfortunately at the moment none of the rinks have gotten back to me with coaches availability, so I really don't have many resources to ask. Do I just keep going with what I have and assume it's lack of technique, or suck it up and go to a fitter and accept that I might have made a very expensive mistake? How do I know if my skates are a good stiffness? What should I be "feeling" for?

MCsAngel2

On the Ice
You are correct, Overtures are rarely going to be appropriate for adults unless you're tiny. Ice skates are different from quads - your feet move more inside quad boots than in ice boots, so for the same skill level, ice boots need to be stiffer.

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Hi and welcome!
You needed to go to fitter so they could put you in correct boot. Which from reading this and knowing what I do, you need a stiffer Edea (if that's the ice boot that truly works for you). Ice boots are going to fit a little more snug than quads too.

I'm here if you need anything, good luck! :)

lyssx

Rinkside

I figured that the skills wouldn't be similar enough and I didn't want to overboot myself or give myself too much credit thinking it would all be easy and get stupidly stiff boots for my level (I don't want to get side-eyed for wearing Ice Flies or something ridiculous when I still have a mandatory helmet on for the LTS classes) , but I am actually really surprised at how much is translating. I knew quad wheel boots are generally softer, but I didn't think I'd need a much higher stiffness rating since I anticipated the skills being very different and figured I may still need to re-learn/adapt how to use my existing strength properly.

I am a pretty petite adult - only 5'2 and about 110 pounds, so that was another reason I thought I could get away with it. Guess I'll see about getting properly fitted, hope my blades fit on whatever new boots I get, and try to sell the Overtures while they still are close to new condition.

Really a dumb mistake on my part. I got so caught up in the excitement and figured I had enough background info to go on.... wrong. I almost went to a fitter too - but they were on vacation until the 27th and I didn't want to wait. I got what I deserved lol.

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics

I figured that the skills wouldn't be similar enough and I didn't want to overboot myself or give myself too much credit thinking it would all be easy and get stupidly stiff boots for my level (I don't want to get side-eyed for wearing Ice Flies or something ridiculous when I still have a mandatory helmet on for the LTS classes) , but I am actually really surprised at how much is translating. I knew quad wheel boots are generally softer, but I didn't think I'd need a much higher stiffness rating since I anticipated the skills being very different and figured I may still need to re-learn/adapt how to use my existing strength properly.

I am a pretty petite adult - only 5'2 and about 110 pounds, so that was another reason I thought I could get away with it. Guess I'll see about getting properly fitted, hope my blades fit on whatever new boots I get, and try to sell the Overtures while they still are close to new condition.

Really a dumb mistake on my part. I got so caught up in the excitement and figured I had enough background info to go on.... wrong. I almost went to a fitter too - but they were on vacation until the 27th and I didn't want to wait. I got what I deserved lol.
You should be okay in a Chorus. Then when past LTS and really jumping those singles, go to Concertos. You're on the smaller side, so that's why I say this. :)

lyssx

Rinkside
Just wanted to drop a quick update in case this thread ever interests anyone in the future -

The skates were entirely wrong for me. Although the Edeas fit my foot profile nicely and were great for me on quad skates where there is naturally more stability - I found out from a fitter today that I have "difficult feet" due to my ankle pronation, the way a particular tendon sticks out, and how skinny my ankles are comparative to my foot length. He put me in a pair of Risport RF3s, and I definitely felt the difference in support. The Edeas were never going to work because of how much room I had in my ankle. Even with the Risports I will need additional inserts to fit properly.

Unfortunately I will need new blades too, I won't be able to reuse them on the Risports due to the size of the Coronation Ace plate and where he's going to have to put it on the boot. :(

Very expensive beginner's mistake. Hoping I can sell the old skates easily enough and recoup some of the cost.