How many "older" skaters here? | Page 2 | Golden Skate

How many "older" skaters here?

Aliyahsk8

Rinkside
I'm in my mid-30s and started skating just over a year ago. I'm getting ready to take my ISI FS1 test soon as I just got over my deathly fear of becoming a blind, deaf, mute quadriplegic as a result of a Waltz jump gone wrong! Come to find out bailing or 1/2 heartedly attempting jumps is a lot scarier than actually doing them!!

gkelly

Record Breaker
I'm 49. I skate at adult bronze level in the US, working on the prejuvenile/adult silver MITF.

I had gotten up to preliminary level (approximately prepreliminary by today's standards) in my early teens, quit, and came back to skating in my early 30s. Progress is slower as an adult, with less practice time.

herro

On the Ice
Wow, this is so great for all of you guys! Props to you all!

I skated pretty intensely when I was younger, but I've had to quit for various personal reasons. I'm thinking of stepping back on the ice in the future, but I'm partly afraid to do so because I'm afraid to find out that I've lost all my skills that I had had when I was younger...

mskater93

Record Breaker
Wow, this is so great for all of you guys! Props to you all!

I skated pretty intensely when I was younger, but I've had to quit for various personal reasons. I'm thinking of stepping back on the ice in the future, but I'm partly afraid to do so because I'm afraid to find out that I've lost all my skills that I had had when I was younger...

I know many a skater who has returned to the ice after 20 or 30 years (and some serious body changes) off. While it's frustrating because "I used to be able to..." and now it's not there (one skater had to do dramamine and would throw up from spinning at every session for MONTHS), it's also exciting because that love of the sport never goes away and just picks right back up where it was and your focus changes.

gkelly

Record Breaker
When I came back in my early 30s after more than 15 years off, I couldn't do all the jumps I used to do -- it took me a few years to get my (f)lutz and axel back and start trying easier doubles, which I never did quite master. And now in my late 40s after several injuries I don't do any of those jumps any more and probably never will again.

But when I first came back I was soon able to "get" the layback (now my favorite spin) and flying camel, which I'd only been in the process of learning when I quit as a kid. And I've learned lots more turns and steps and combination spins as an adult and the quality of my basic skating is much better.

Of course if you were already at a much higher level when you stopped, there would be less new stuff for you to learn. But most of the skills should come back with a little practice, except probably the hardest jumps.

OHgal

Rinkside
I'm 47 and that is NOT past middle aged, LOL! I've been skating about 5 or 6 years and am working on Silver moves. A car accident, a bad fall and a sprained ankle (not skating related) along with a busy work schedule have really kept my progress slow (only skating 1 day per week right now). But I love every second I'm on the ice and I wouldn't give it up for anything!

icedancingnut31

On the Ice
I am 22 and I started skating at around 15. I am only working on loops, flips and sit spins though. I am also a full time college student about to graduate so skating is more of a hobby for me. But I love it. When I used to compete I felt really old though because most people who were at my level were about 6-7 years younger than me.

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
Don't you know it's not polite to ask someone's age? ha, ha. Anyway, I am 50 something. I started figure skating at the age of 12 in Prince George, BC. My dad flooded the back yard so we could practice skating outside. I joined a skating club and the rest they say is history. I am from the old school of FS when figures counted. For me figure skating has always been a refuge. I used to sleep with my skates next to my bed at night (still do!) I loved skating outside. My mom had to come and yank me off the ice and make me go to bed or I would have been out there until midnight. I kept up skating until I graduated from high school and then sadly hung up my skates one day. Over the years I have returned to the ice. It's always just like yesterday, when I get on a pair of skates and glide around the rink. I learned a lot of lessons from figure skating - one being discipline. It's the greatest sport on earth!!!

Last edited:

-Elsa-

Spectator
Well, not really past "middle age," but I'm in my late 30's and coming back after six full years off the ice, and over 10 years of on and off playing around without any coaching. Now I'm trying to get back in to shape and rebuild my foundation focusing on MIF and dance. I'd love to test the adult track, and if that goes well, maybe standard track as well. It's a bit strange to have to think about things I used to do without thinking, but I'm enjoying fixing bad habits, getting stronger, and learning new things (dance/MIF - I'm from the figures era).

I am 56 and I learned to skate for the first time at age 55. I am working my way through the Basic Skills and I love it. As a total beginner at this age, it's exciting to be skating as a new sport and I love learning from all the skaters, especially from my 5 year old friend and from my 80 year old friend on the ice. And it's inspiring to watch the really good skaters perform and compete. :)

silverpond

On the Ice
I'm a youthful Baby Boomer, which makes me still relatively young and in reasonably good shape. I used to skate recreationally on a regular basis, but the rinks were I used to skate have closed, as I posted some time ago. One of the rinks was located on the beach, and we had a great view of the Atlantic Ocean as we skated inside. A fire destroyed that rink, and it stood in ruins for years before it was finally demolished. Another favorite rink of mine went the way of the "mall" - and the last time I drove by it, the mall was closed, too. There is a really nice facility less than 5 miles from here, and I really should dust off the skates and get back.

At my age, if I was going to skate (or attempt to do so), I would probably take a series of "learn to skate" lessons, as I don't want to wind up in the ER or otherwise not be able to get around.

Public skating sessions can be hazardous, in my opinion. Some of them resembled an unorganized session of roller derby, with folks racing around, pushing, and causing some nasty spills. I once landed on my right hip and had a bump the size of an orange. Nothing was broken, but I was a sore kid for a couple of days. Yikes. Guess it's a good idea to wear padding, just to be safe.

In no way would I EVER compare myself to Dorothy Hamill (pull-eease) -- however, she once said that her first goal in skating was to learn to skate backwards. Perhaps I could learn to skate forward and do crossovers in a reasonably refined manner. That would a good first goal.

Binthere

On the Ice
I love how this post/querry brought out new posters. Welcome! Enjoy! What a wonderful sport.

In my 40s now. Never hit the ice without serious doses of Advil ... before... and after :laugh:

reneerose

Final Flight
I was seriously considering taking beginner's lessons at the local rink and I'm in my 40s....guess better late than never?

I'm 50, I've been pretty much skating most of my life but I'm really not that talented. i do love competing in adult events though, I love the rush as well as the camaraderie and general silliness and fun that are a part of adult events. This year I have finally started landing questionable doubles (more than 1 1/2 turns, the jury is out beyond that) for the first time in my life. I've even started a wbsite for adult skaters and would love to have you allover for virtual tea and bisquits! My webite URL is below.

http://internationaladulticeskaters.com/

Last edited:

blue dog

Trixie Schuba's biggest fan!
Record Breaker
I'm 50, I've been pretty much skating most of my life but I'm really not that talented. i do love competing in adult events though, I love the rush as well as the camaraderie and general silliness and fun that are a part of adult events. This year I have finally started landing questionable doubles (more than 1 1/2 turns, the jury is out beyond that) for the first time in my life. I've even started a wbsite for adult skaters and would love to have you allover for virtual tea and bisquits! My webite URL is below.

http://internationaladulticeskaters.com/

I love the post about how we got here from there.

Last edited:
Blue Dog: thanks for the compliment! I have a new blog entry for this weekup as of half an hour ago.

Reneerose: what are you waiting for!!! Get yourself out on the ice!

Binthere: Advil before and after and Ventolin during :)

blue dog

Trixie Schuba's biggest fan!
Record Breaker
Blue Dog: thanks for the compliment! I have a new blog entry for this weekup as of half an hour ago.

Reneerose: what are you waiting for!!! Get yourself out on the ice!

Binthere: Advil before and after and Ventolin during :)

Don't forget--if you're not a caffeine drinker, you will become one after you take up skating, especially if you start skating the AM freestyle sessions.

Tangogirl, what a lovely blog! Thanks so much for the link. I'm enjoying working my way through the posts. Skate on!