How much will Lipnitskaya's score deflate at Worlds? | Page 3 | Golden Skate

How much will Lipnitskaya's score deflate at Worlds?

Alba

Record Breaker
Oh well, for Julia, i think her mark will be slightly higher than hers at GPF, even with a clean skate, considering what happened in 2010 WC right after the Olympics. ISU cannot afford another scandal with a Russian skater. I bet Julia's PCS will hardly break 30 in SP and 65 in LP.

At the Euros she got 31.91 in SP and 68.00 in LP, and she had 2 e calls there&negative GEO's.
Why is that so hard to belive that she will repeat the same scores, or even higher? Assuming she skates clean or even better of course.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
At the Euros she got 31.91 in SP and 68.00 in LP, and she had 2 e calls there&negative GEO's.
Why is that so hard to belive that she will repeat the same scores, or even higher? Assuming she skates clean or even better of course.

Euros is also a pro-PCS fest. And you can bet that the Russians ensured Euros would serve up some high marks to Adelina and Julia if they skated close to clean (which they delivered).

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Euros is also a pro-PCS fest. And you can bet that the Russians ensured Euros would serve up some high marks to Adelina and Julia if they skated close to clean (which they delivered).

Throwing out the pre-Olympic inflationary scoring, I don't think anyone can take that win from Yulia. She was brilliant and the deserved youngest winner of the event ever! :hb::party2::rock::party:

Alba

Record Breaker

Oh well, I see she's doomed. Pity she's not from another country, so her PCS will be well deserved.

Isabel_O'Reilly

Final Flight
For me, it will be interesting to see whether Caro still can beat Mao. Surprisingly, at this quad, (from 2011 season) Caro was not beaten by Mao, when they actually met at the competition, not even a single time. I was deeply moved by Mao's lp at Sochi and truly wish her the very best, but I also think that she may pull Akiko at Sochi... (I mean Akiko had her best ever lp at Japan nationals but not so good skate at Sochi..)

Oh well, for Julia, i think her mark will be slightly higher than hers at GPF, even with a clean skate, considering what happened in 2010 WC right after the Olympics. ISU cannot afford another scandal with a Russian skater. I bet Julia's PCS will hardly break 30 in SP and 65 in LP.

But there are still miles between a clean skate on first glance, such as the team skate at the Olympics, then a slightly better skate at SC, and then the program she performed at Euros which was better in every aspect. (Just talking about her LP)

The same thing with the SP: a fairly clean performance at SC, then a better one at Euros, and the best she ever performed it at COR.

When people say a clean performance, well that can be used to described multiple performances that were nevertheless on different levels.

Even just looking at a single jump. For example Yulia's 2A: Messed up the landing (1st at FS COR), landed it with an upper body balance-check needed (1st at Euros FS), landed well (SP Olympic Team Event), incredible jump (SP COR) Three of these were "clean", but only one was clean in every sense of the word. Good flow on entry, satisfactory height, fantastic 5-5.5-feet distance (I checked), and great flow on the landing.

bara1968

On the Ice
Okay. Let me clarify what I said again. I predict, Lip's score will be widely deflated, based on the followings.

1) what happened at 2010 WC right after Vancouver

WC and GPF are known to be much more strict than Olympics(Or, equivalently, score inflates like crazy at Olympics). At 2010 WC, both Yuna and Mao (Gold& Silver medalist) participated. Yuna performed worse and Mao performed better than their Olympics LP. No matter how they performed, their PCS were widely deflated.

Yuna : 71.76 (Oly) -> 65.04 (WC) : -6.72
Mao : 67.04 (Oly) -> 62.48 (WC) : -4.56

2) What happened at 2013 GPF at JAPAN

It is worth looking at Julia's score here. Since a) WC will take place at Japan and b) Judging is usually more strict at GPF, so by 1), it is reasonable to assume that scoring at this WC will be something similar to this.

Lip here did perform very well. Only one visible mistake in LP and of course, several e mark for her flutz, but overall, she did very well, did better than her Oly singles. Yet her PCS were

SP : 29.78
LP : 60.52

I bet her PCS at WC will barely break 65 in LP. Well, I was actually bit generous here.

3) In COR, Euro and Oly, Lip's score were really inflated. I do not need to explain this, since it was already discussed in this forum a LOT. You cannot expect same scoring at WC, given that 1), 2) and that regional advantage, which has been apparent for this entire season, will be completely gone, at least for Lip, at Japan.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Well I have confidence in the judges that whether her scores are higher or lower it will depend on the skate and how good the other ladies are. whether she skates clean and scores over 65 in the sp or not will depend. If Ashley is clean and scores a 63 then yes she could be under 65 especially if Osmond skates clean, for examplea nd scores say 62 but if say Osmond skates clean and scores 65 and Julia skates clean she will be over 68. It is all relative as ie Olympics in general tend to be overinflated. like nationals it is all comparative.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Throwing out the pre-Olympic inflationary scoring, I don't think anyone can take that win from Yulia. She was brilliant and the deserved youngest winner of the event ever! :hb::party2::rock::party:

Oh totally! She was phenomenal and definitely deserved that win. :rock: Like I said after her team FS, it's nice to see 7 triples again at the Olympics (and in the elite women's field).

Manuel Pablo Arnao

Figure Skating Fan & Real Estate Agent in LA!
On the Ice
everyone keeps saying this will be carolina's last event...

has she said that anywhere? as far as i know, she has not said anything about retiring.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
everyone keeps saying this will be carolina's last event...

has she said that anywhere? as far as i know, she has not said anything about retiring.

I hope she stays around a bit longer, she is skating better than she ever has and she finally seems like she enjoys competing.

wootie

Match Penalty
I hope she stays around a bit longer, she is skating better than she ever has and she finally seems like she enjoys competing.

I know!!! And to think, she could be eclipsed by a terribly boring Russian pipsqueak at her final Worlds. At least it's not the other Russian girl...that would truly be heinous. Still, hopefully, everything will be judged fairly after that horrendous fiasco in Sochi and either Mao or Carolina will (rightfully) prevail.

R.D.

Record Breaker
I wouldn't miss her if she left. But, I guess, more power to her if she feels she still has something left in the tank.

volk

Final Flight
I know!!! And to think, she could be eclipsed by a terribly boring Russian pipsqueak at her final Worlds. At least it's not the other Russian girl...that would truly be heinous. Still, hopefully, everything will be judged fairly after that horrendous fiasco in Sochi and either Mao or Carolina will (rightfully) prevail.

stop hating

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
No doubt and should have won by a larger points margin over Sotnikova than she did. Kostner probably should have finished 2nd at that event above Sotnikova given that she had less in the way of errors in her LP, and with fair judging she would have been a clear 1st over both Julia and Adelina in the SP. Sotflation and Rusflation was already being prepared for the Sochi farce to come, but Julia was a well deserved winner of that event.
Yeah the Yuna fans in South Korea had no idea that even Yuna was in trouble even if she skated clean in Sochi with the jump in PCS that the judges gave the 2 Russian girls at Europeans.. It was already being set up that at least one Russian was going to be on the podium in Sochi.