How reasonable is the chance of a single skater switching to ice dance? | Golden Skate

How reasonable is the chance of a single skater switching to ice dance?

Wrlmy

Medalist
How reasonable is the chance of a single skater switching to ice dance?

While watching ice dance coverage by nbc, one of my friends asked me if ice dance is just "figure skating without jumps". I told her any ice dance program is like a seamless sequence of footwork with difficult lifts here and there. Anyway, that got me thinking, could a single skater have reasonable success as a ice dancer in "reasonably" short period of time, given that she or he finds a good partner? Apart from the lifts, would they need to learn new skills? And how would you compare skating skills of top ranked single skaters and ice dancers?

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Here's a level set for you. The first male skater in the US ever to do a level4 step sequence as a singles skater was Charlie White as a junior when he was competing in both dance and singles. Ice dancers pretty much uniformly have better skating skills than single skaters. However, the conversion to dance can be done. Perhaps the most successful at it at the senior level was Tiffany Stiegler with Sergei :Magerovsky. However, she converted from pairs.

Another level set: After he won 2 OGM's Dick Button in retirement tried to learn the senior CD's of the time. He wasn't able to. This is why Dick is almost always very respectful of the ice dancers.

Another difficulty for a singles skater desirous of converting to dance at the senior level is that said skater needs to have excellent timing to skate to the rhythms as dancers must do. Not all the singles have that kind of timing.

Last edited:

Wrlmy

Medalist
Thank you. I was looking forward to your response. I was actually thinking CD would be the most difficult challenge.
BTW, is there any footage of Charlie White competing as single?

Kypma

Final Flight
Jamie Forsythe of Canada switched over from Senior Men's to Senior Dance a couple of years ago. I know he's had 2 partners so far (currently partnerless, I think?), and reached Nationals, placing 11th out of 12 couples, at least once, though this year they didn't make it out of the Challenge. So it's definitely not for everybody.

figuristka

Medalist
At the beginning level in figure skating often you also take ice dancing compulsories as well as free skating. So iam sure alot of skater's have the basics of both. Certainly competiting at the senior level is very different. Another skater that comes to mind is Paul Poirier, who skates with Crone. He's did quite well the year before in the men's singles, and also was 2nd as a junior i think before.

Buttercup

Record Breaker
Thank you. I was looking forward to your response. I was actually thinking CD would be the most difficult challenge.
BTW, is there any footage of Charlie White competing as single?

That was pretty fun. I can see why he switched to dance full time - but quite enjoyable nonetheless. I liked seeing step sequences with actual steps rather than various upper body contortions. Since it was 2005-6, I guess this was before skaters were that familiar with the IJS, esp. American skaters who competed under 6.0 longer than most everyone else, IIRC.

Patrick could do it.
I think he should have done it. I was told the other day he doesn't like to jump, and he clearly loves doing footwork and linking movements. Two issues are that I'm not sure his timing would have been good enough, and I have my doubts about his being able to find a good partners because it would have to be someone tiny - he's smaller than most of the top ice dancers I can think of.

Thanks for the link. Charlie with brown hair is new to me but his rambunctious style in singles is the same as in dance as I see it.

Since the young man already did competitively both Singles and Dance, he dropped Singles for Dance. There was no switching from one to the other.

jennylovskt

Medalist
Oh, I didn't know he already did ice dance. No wonder he can do such intricate steps.

From Jeremy's Wikipedia: "As a juvenile, he competed in ice dancing with Amanda Cunningham from 1995-1996 and with Katie Hoffmaster from 1997-1998. He competed as a pair skater with Brittany Vise in 1998-1999 and Krystal Sorenson from 2001-2002."

Quite a resume! :love: If only he can hold his nerve...:scowl:

antmanb

Record Breaker
I think a lot of top skaters take dance lessons in parallel to their singles lessons because as Doris says dancers tend to have the best skating skills. Did i read that Czisney has tested all of her dances in the US?

Just a couple of UK skaters I know about. I'm fairly certain John Kerr was a singles (and possible pairs?) skater who turned to dance when his sister's parntering in ice dance came to an end.

Also Mark Hanretty was a singles skater who was was injured and banned from jumping, since he still wanted to be involved in competitive skating he took up dance. I'm sure he tested a whole bunch of dances one summer playing catch up before or as he was pairing up with Christina Chitwood.

And of course - Jayne Torvill was a pairs skater before she turned to dance and teamed up with Christpoher Dean...we all klnow how that turned out!

Ant

sk8rdad

On the Ice
Vanessa Crone and Paul Poirer are both very strong singles skaters. Paul still competes in singles.

Bennett

Record Breaker
I guess it depends on when you switch. You could do the basics of dancing at young ages. But the idea of competing as ice dancers would be more appealing after certain ages. Little kids doing partner dancing--- though adorable, it would not be easy. They'd fight a lot.