Ice dance FD notes | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Ice dance FD notes

Gericho2004

Rinkside
My point exactly! In order for G&P to have any chance of overtaking B&A at Nationals, they must also establish themselves as world champion contenders .

Welcome to Golden Skate, Gericho. Thanks for joining us. :)

Melissa and Denis rock! (This smiley face is for Tonichelle and Kwanfan1212 = :) )

nymkfan51

Medalist
G/P have improved a lot under their new coaching. They are no longer the way they used to be---bathroom break time---but not at all compelling, as B/A are. G/P don't have the charisma and personality of B/A, and the sad fact is they never will have it.

They don't need to have the charisma or personality of B&A ... they have their own. And while that may make you sad, I am as pleased as can be with their progress, and can't wait to see them by the time Nats comes along.

dancindiva03

Match Penalty
No matter what anyone thinks about the relative merits of the two teams, B/A are the highest-ranking internationally established team and they will be top of the podium at their own nationals. Period. The USFSA would never risk dropping them down in the standings at nationals, thereby giving an excuse for the international panel to do the same.

The wonderful thing about CoP is that we actually do see movement in the placements of dance teams, and I don't see it as a given that B&A will be on top of the podium come January. This is a team that has, the past three years, had almost no pressure on them at Nationals. They knew they could count on having a comfortable cushion between them and the rest of the field. Melissa and Denis made a HUGE statement at Skate America and it may be enough to put a little doubt in the minds of B&A. And sometimes, a little doubt is all it takes. G&P are going to go into Nationals with a confidence that they have never had, and with support that they have never had and that could make the difference. Also, they will likely go into Nationals with two GP silver medals this year, much better results than they have had in the past, and the judges at nationals are going to know this. I'm not saying that B&A won't have equal or better results on the GP, but the judges are going to see the teams as a lot closer than in years past. And if they see that the international judges are responding well to G&P this year, why should they be afraid to put them in first if they deserve it?

Lanie

On the Ice
B&A are lucky that Tanith is so good-looking that it makes all their mistakes and errors ignored by everyone, including the judges apparently. No one will challenge them at US Nationals until they retire... USFSA loves them far too much.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I don't agree with the above. If Belbin doesn't point her toes or grins too much, she and Ben are capable of doing far more difficult lifts and footwork than Melissa and Denis, and they skate faster and closer together than M&D.

Anyway, I am glad that G/P have improved so much. It is GOOD for B/A to have competitors who push them. Maybe that extra push will actually help B/A to win their first World Chamionship, if not this year, then next. After that, B/A and G/P will have to look out for Matthews/Zavozin and Davis/White, who will be closing in fast.

rain

Record Breaker
The wonderful thing about CoP is that we actually do see movement in the placements of dance teams, and I don't see it as a given that B&A will be on top of the podium come January. This is a team that has, the past three years, had almost no pressure on them at Nationals. They knew they could count on having a comfortable cushion between them and the rest of the field. Melissa and Denis made a HUGE statement at Skate America and it may be enough to put a little doubt in the minds of B&A. And sometimes, a little doubt is all it takes. G&P are going to go into Nationals with a confidence that they have never had, and with support that they have never had and that could make the difference. Also, they will likely go into Nationals with two GP silver medals this year, much better results than they have had in the past, and the judges at nationals are going to know this. I'm not saying that B&A won't have equal or better results on the GP, but the judges are going to see the teams as a lot closer than in years past. And if they see that the international judges are responding well to G&P this year, why should they be afraid to put them in first if they deserve it?

Whatever medals G/P win on the circuit this year don't compare to B/A's two world medals and an Olympic medal in the politics of ice dance. The teams may well be closer in the marks this year, but that's it. Why should they be afraid to put them in first if they deserve it? Because, COP or no, movement in the dance world is never a meteoric rise up the standings and the USFSA will want to keep the top contender status they have with B/A, while bringing other teams along behind them. They won't mess with that.

Gericho2004

Rinkside
Also keep in mind that although G&P acheived a personal best of 180.98, this score is at least 32 points behind B&A's personal best. G&P will have alot of ground to cover before Nationals, especially if B&A also demonstrates progress this season.

Chukum - You mentioned Davis/White whom I believe were excellent in Junior Dance in past years. I am looking forward to seeing them in Nats but will ESPN show them in Skate Canada and NKH? I doubt it.

I'm somewhat leery of B&A and G&P. While their technique improves, I have never been overwhelmed with their styles. JMO. I want to see dancers with an upbeat style for a change. I've always enjoyed the upbeat style of Wing and Lowe. More joy in dancing less tragedy.

Joe

The wonderful thing about CoP is that we actually do see movement in the placements of dance teams...
And the primary beneficiaries have been Belbin and Agosto themselves. Instead of waiting patiently untill all the Russian and European teams retired, they zoomed ahead to an Olympic silver medal.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
As much as people complain about Tanith's 'perkiness' and lack of pointed toes, Tanith and Ben have developed their dance skills to a level that few teams can match. That is why the ISU judges give them marks higher than anything G/P have had, even this year with G/P's improvements.

At US Nationals, Tanith and Ben have far outdistanced the other teams because they WERE that much better. With G/P's improvement, perhaps the score gap will be less this year. But I do not see G/P vaulting ahead of B/A on the basis of their S/A performance.

Here are B/A's total score, OD score and FD score from their 4 events last year:
196.74 59.65 99.50 Worlds 2006
196.06 60.53 98.17 Olympics 2006
199.73 59.28 102.22 4CC 2006
190.45 58.37 95.35 Skate America 2005

Compare those to G/P's scores at SA 2006:
180.98 55.61 90.35

I'd say G/P have a ways to go yet.

JonnyCoop

Record Breaker
B&A are lucky that Tanith is so good-looking that it makes all their mistakes and errors ignored by everyone, including the judges apparently. No one will challenge them at US Nationals until they retire... USFSA loves them far too much.

As to the first part of that -- a great deal of the judges are women and gay men, and Ben sure ain't bad to look at either.....:laugh: Taking nothing away from Tanith, Ben is quite a presence out there as well and I think he captures enough attention so that any of Tanith's errors might be missed. Also, the fact that they have a tendency toward "We each took one bottle of Vivarin before goting out there" helps too; it's hard to catch minor errors if they're out there racing around like maniacs.

JonnyCoop

Record Breaker
VIVARIN??? Is that the same as Vitavegymin that Lucy was selling?;)

If it were, it might account for the mis-steps. :biggrin: No, it's a No-Doz, caffeine pill variation. One pill = 1 Cup of Coffee. 1 Bottle = 60 Cups of Coffee. This would explain some of that hyperactivity galore going on at certain dance competitions.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
G/P have improved a lot under their new coaching. They are no longer the way they used to be---bathroom break time---but not at all compelling, as B/A are. G/P don't have the charisma and personality of B/A, and the sad fact is they never will have it.

B/A's program at campbells was sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo monotonous I got up and got dressed for church during their routine... and I've NEVER done that with their program before... I'm a huge fan of the top 2 US teams... but Tanith and Ben have to step it up or they're not going to have that dazzling effect they've held for the past 4+ years...

just my two cents... I still feel Melissa and Denis can take the top podium from B/A especially with thier programs this season... it'll be a battle, that's for sure... and should be an extremely intense competition for those of us who actually care lol

Final Flight
I don't think that just "clean" is going to do it for them anymore. They need to be dazzling.

yup they need more difficulty too....improve their twizzles....they are just showy and "sexy" giving them more program components points....on th other hand delobel and schoenfelder has amazing capability of difficulty while they dont have much showy-ness.....
i'm sticking to the french....they're really innovative and just the best ( other than the bulgarians.....argh)

dancindiva03

Match Penalty
And the primary beneficiaries have been Belbin and Agosto themselves. Instead of waiting patiently untill all the Russian and European teams retired, they zoomed ahead to an Olympic silver medal.

The "zoomed ahead" to a silver medal at the Olympics because a number of teams have uncharacteristic falls in the OD. IIRC B&A were only 6th after the CD.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
The "zoomed ahead" to a silver medal at the Olympics because a number of teams have uncharacteristic falls in the OD. IIRC B&A were only 6th after the CD.

and they skated tentively in the FD and OD to get to that second place...