Ice Dance | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Ice Dance

hockeyfan228

Record Breaker
Just wanted to add that I think it's a disgrace that there is no CD skated at this event, so to me it is not a proper Dance competition at all.

Accepted the format has been fiddled around with, 2 FDs, now one FD and OD, so why not re-introduce a CD? It doesn't make sense they haven't done.

Without a CD, this result will not be a forerunner to Worlds IMO.

Yes, I am a devotee of the Compulsory Dances - guilty as charged! :agree:
ITA.

But I think that by next year or 2009 the latest, there won't be a CD at GP, Euros, 4C's, or Worlds, either.

La Rhumba

Supporting All British Skaters!
Medalist
Country
United-Kingdom
ITA.

But I think that by next year or 2009 the latest, there won't be a CD at GP, Euros, 4C's, or Worlds, either.

Noooooooooooooooo! :no: :sheesh: :frown:

If ever I wake up to find that the ISU has abolished the remaining CD in competition, I shall fly to Switzerland and chain myself to the ISU Head Office railings to protest until they change their minds! :mad: :disapp:

rain

Record Breaker
Judging from the comments in this thread about the perceived merits of G&P's improvement [I don't know, I haven't seen them this season] why is that a couple who finished below DomShabs can climb the ranks because they presumably deserve it, and if they finish 6th at the GPF, well it'll be because *that's their allotted slot* but DomShabs similar improvement up the rankings is viewed as Russian Political manouvering? :confused:

Also B&A actually do make mistakes at times - they did at Olympics in the FD, several mistakes, that's why so many of us were rather bemused, not to say angry, that they still clung onto the Silver, and DelSchoes once again, got nothing! :no:

I have not commented on G&P's reported improvement this year because I have not seen them either. However, if they do make the GPF they will finish 6th — and may deserve to — but the placement will be in a big part due to the fact that they will be "the other team that makes the final" along with the top contenders, as Dub/Lauz were for many years. And sorry, but yes, I do see Dom/Shab's meteoric rise as due, at least in part, to political maneuvering. They are the Russian heir apparents.

As for B/A making mistakes, my comment re: the Olympics was meant to reflect my disappointment in the event with so many teams falling in one portion or another. B/A may have had small errors, but they didn't go splat as so many of the other teams did. The Olympic medals were largely determined by who didn't land on their behind in any phase.

Dibs

Rinkside
Judging from the comments in this thread about the perceived merits of G&P's improvement [I don't know, I haven't seen them this season] why is that a couple who finished below DomShabs can climb the ranks because they presumably deserve it, and if they finish 6th at the GPF, well it'll be because *that's their allotted slot* but DomShabs similar improvement up the rankings is viewed as Russian Political manouvering? :confused:

Also B&A actually do make mistakes at times - they did at Olympics in the FD, several mistakes, that's why so many of us were rather bemused, not to say angry, that they still clung onto the Silver, and DelSchoes once again, got nothing! :no:

In the past and now, a lot of great teams have been held down in the rankings due to politics. The Kerrs come to mind along, past North American teams, D/V, and many more. In the past, it seems to have been Russian teams that have been glorified while many teams were competitive enough to beat them. That is why I think there is a lot of suspicion behind DomShabs sudden ascent in the rankings.

B/A also had a quick rise, due both to politics and merit in my opinion, but I think the new system played a big part in their rise while I believe DomShabs would have risen regardless since they're the Russian heirs apparent. Personally, I see the improvement, but not enough to justify beating DelScho with a major mistake no less. I don't love DomShabs free dance, it looks like a frenzy of limbs without any meaning, rhythm, or posture behind it. I have a distinct feeling that given another year or two DomShabs will be untouchable and it feels like an old pattern we're all a litle tired of.

And yes, B/A made mistakes at the Olympics and DelScho should have medaled (and it was immaterial to me which won silver or bronze), but B/A deserved the podium finish because all the competitors made larger mistakes. And why no grumbling about G/G? The medaled with the slowest most tentative performance of the entire Games without a bit of spark behind them.

I just wrote this on another thread. I think it would be better here.

It seems to me that the powers that be in Dance are ganging up on Delob and Schern as they did on Denk and Stav in previous years. Any one who could win gold has to go! Room for gold has been made for Domina and Shabalan for this year's Worlds. Just my politcal mind.

Joe

Antilles

Medalist
I wonder if Del&Shoe are being held down because of the perception that A&P might have had some help winning their OGM. Judges may not want to look like they are favouring another French team. I feel badly for them. I think they deserve to be on a world podium.

zandor

On the Ice
I don"t know if it's true but I read that Belbin/Agosto have withdrawn to GP Final. Somebody have others news?:frown: :confused:

JonnyCoop

Record Breaker
I wonder if Del&Shoe are being held down because of the perception that A&P might have had some help winning their OGM. Judges may not want to look like they are favouring another French team. I feel badly for them. I think they deserve to be on a world podium.

ITA with this. I thought D/S were going to be elevated (due to post-Olympic retirements) after SLC, and they were, but only up to a point and certainly not as high as I expected. I rather do think the judges are gun-shy about putting a French couple on the podium following not only the perception about A/P, but also feelings towards the French federation in general. It is basically due to the French federation that all the dirty laundry (the SLC scandal and its aftermath) started to be aired, and D/S might be the ones being punished for it. Granted, Joubert hasn't had any problems, but it's a lot easier to manipulate things in dance -- even under CoP -- maybe ESPECIALLY under CoP -- than it is in singles. Much as I love Tanith & Ben (mainly due to their chemistry, tho they are capable of some pretty great stuff), there is NO way that Deloebel & Schoenfelder should be behind them. Deloebel & Schoenfelder, IMO, should be 2nd only to Denkova/Staviysky, and maybe not even 2nd, depending on style preference and what kind of thing each couple is doing.

Some team has to give way for Dom/Shab. It could never be Denk/Stav anymore. That would be too obvious. And the americans are not doing well this year for whatever reasons so keep them in for bronze.

Del/Scher have to go despite the most innovative program this season. The Tartars will win. JMO

Joe

lanadd

On the Ice
Some team has to give way for Dom/Shab. It could never be Denk/Stav anymore. That would be too obvious. And the americans are not doing well this year for whatever reasons so keep them in for bronze.

Del/Scher have to go despite the most innovative program this season. The Tartars will win. JMO

Joe

Yes unfortunately they will head over Del/S