Ice Wars | Golden Skate

Ice Wars

wendy1994

Rinkside
The tentative lineup for this years Ice wars is Oksana baiul, yuka sato, yagudin, kurt browning, Kristi yamaguchi, eldridge, Brian boitano and nancy kerrigan. :)

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
so it'll be N. America vs the World again? or the US vs the World?

I want Kurt vs Brian!!!! I love that showdown! I look forward to it every season! LOL

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
sweetness!

so it'll be Yags vs Todd
and Kurt vs Brian

YEAY! :) (though with my luck it'll be the world champs going head to head and the Olympic Champs will go head to head...)

anywho... Ice Wars normally airs in November... so it's normally skated in... October?

Chele615

Rinkside
Last year, Ice Wars was also taped in November....about a couple weeks before Thanksgiving weekend. Anyone know of any possible arenas yet?

lil lion 816

Rinkside
That sounds like a pretty good lineup to me! :)

I liked it last year when they included the pairs, though - I think it adds variety to the format and allows coverage of more of the skating disciplines. Maybe there will be a pairs event again in future competitions. I wouldn't mind seeing ice dance included like it was in '99 (although the pairs and ice dance competition was a separate one from the singles competition).

I'm a bit surprised to see not only Kerrigan but Yamaguchi back in competition. On paper, this looks as though it could be one of the most evenly matched Ice Wars events yet.

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
I´m very disappointed as Ilia Kulik is not in the lineup!!! He was really great in 2003... Would have liked to see the pairs competing again.

Marjaana

I'm really sorry that Ilia will not be in the lineup. He's matured so much as an exhibition skater. Great flow and feeling. Oh, well, there is still Kurt.

BTW, I don't believe anyone thinks this is a serious competition. What are the prizes? Any viewing date for this? and what network?

Joe

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
it's a CBS show...

I think they all get money just for showing up... with a bonus if they're on the winning team... but they've never talked about the money in the commentary so I don't know.

SkateSand

Rinkside
I suspect the reason they don't have pairs this year is to make room for all the ladies they want. Well-known American ladies might be a bigger sell to television sponsors than Canadian and Russian pairs who aren't as well known, Olympic scandal or not. It's not every day you can get Nancy Kerrigan, Kristi Yamaguchi, Oksana Baiul, and Yuka Sato at one pro competition. Just a guess...plus it permits a "rematch" between Oksana and Nancy, a reminder of figure skating's most popular era, at least where television ratings are concerned.

Laurie

ouridol

On the Ice
YAY! I'm glad that yags, nancy, and kristi are added to the lineup. It's too bad about Ilia..I was looking forward to seeing him, as well as the pairs :( Anyhow i can't wait for nov! :D

Antilles

Medalist
I never pay much attention to this event. Dance and pairs are my favourite disciplines, and it bothers me that they are so overlooked in the pro world.

Hi, SkateSand, welcome to the forum. (You're not the same as SkateSandy are you?). ITA about the ladies. Not only do we have the Nancy vesus Oksana rematch, but also Kristi and Yuka have developed a little rivalry, too, with Yuka beating Kristi in the last pro championship two years ago.

Mathman :)

SkateSand

Rinkside
Hi, Mathman. No, SkateSandy (Skate Sandee) is someone else. I'm Laurie. I've posted here before, but for some reason it's showing me as having only one post.

Laurie

KwanFan1212

Joey Votto Fangirl
Final Flight
Sounds like a pretty great lineup and very evenly matched indeed. I will look foward to seeing this even though I really enjoyed the pairs in this competition last year. Its normally held in November sometime and shown Thanksgiving weekend on CBS. Maybe the pairs will do some exhibitions or something?! (I will get those pairs involved somehow, LOL :laugh: )

Bummer for no Ilia though. I have to agree that he was wonderful last year. I guess they wanted Yags this time around which is a good choice if they are going for ratings and such since he's the most recent Olys champ. Its nice to see Todd participating this time around too. And YAY for Kristi!! I love her and can't wait to see her skate again. :D

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
well a lot of the time they can't either get the pairs/dance involved... or people who buy tickets don't care... Ice Wars tried several times to get all of them in the show and it didn't work

and I don't want to see another 2002 Olympic Pair rematch thing... I really don't (basically teh judges played it safe and let each team win one part of the event)

KwanFan1212

Joey Votto Fangirl
Final Flight
Well, I just wanted another chance to see those two pairs skate again. I honestly didn't care who won last year. They both skated awesome in both programs. It was a great matchup and competing brings out the best in both pairs IMO. Oh well. I guess I can't be too greedy. :laugh:

Bring on Kurt vs. Brian and Todd vs. Yags! LOL :D

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
go team: WORLD!

:laugh:

The men's line up is great... and I love Yuka and Kristi... *sigh*

hmmmmmm if they were to do pairs they could have

World:
Sale and Pelletier
Berehznaya & Sikharudleze

USA:
Meno & Sand
Ina & Zimmerman

ok tell me why we can't have the pairs then??? GRRR

I think Dance would be the hardest to get interest in... what do you think?

dmr65

On the Ice
Tonichelle said:
go team: WORLD!

:laugh:

The men's line up is great... and I love Yuka and Kristi... *sigh*

hmmmmmm if they were to do pairs they could have

World:
Sale and Pelletier
Berehznaya & Sikharudleze

USA:
Meno & Sand
Ina & Zimmerman

ok tell me why we can't have the pairs then??? GRRR

I think Dance would be the hardest to get interest in... what do you think?

I have to ask the samething... Why no pairs.. I have to believe it was the pairs who helped their ratings last yr. The only thing I can think of is, maybe as far as B&S and S&P, they didn't want to participate this time. maybe they will do Team World Competition or World Team? :p

Earlier this month, B&S were interviewed on Russian tv and they mentioned there would be more professional exbhibition type competitions... A friend of mine read the Russian transcript as them saying there will be some we are yet aware of(meaing some new shows) and they will be participating in them.. I could understand(babelfish) them saying there will be many this coming season, but don't know if I understood B&S would be in them.. I don't know if S&P are doing the same.. Both pairs have been so so quiet this of season compared to last.

Yeah, I hate to agree about dance... I know fans of dance would love it..