Idol Fans: Which Do You Think Is Worse? | Golden Skate

Idol Fans: Which Do You Think Is Worse?

JonnyCoop

Record Breaker
A song you hate to begin with being sung badly, or a song you really love being sung badly? I contemplate this one every time I happen to hit upon a bad karaoke night (or a less-than-inspiring episode of Idol) and still haven't come to a definite conclusion.

On the one hand, with a song you hate to begin with being sung badly, you've pretty much got a double whammy there, BUT on the other hand, if it's something you really hate, you can figure well, at least it wasn't much to begin with.

On the other hand, with a song you like being sung badly, you don't have the double whammy, but instead you have the "Oh, my God, What are you doing??!! Stop!! Stop!!" aspect.

Thoughts?

Pati

On the Ice
I once heard a girl totally massacre "The Rose" at a karaoke bar and it was just horrible. It doesn't help that its one of my favorite songs. So, I'd have to say a good song sung bad is far worse than a bad song sung good, or a song you don't like sung good.
I'm getting confused. :laugh:

guinevere

Final Flight
I am more annoyed by hearing a song I hate sung poorly, becuase then I have a poor opinion of the singer's taste AND their talent! If someone totally butchers a song a love, I find it sad, but I just think they can't sing, and depending on the song, I might admire them for trying.

OTOH, while I love hearing a song I like sung really well, one of the things I enjoy most about AI is hearing a song I dislike sung in a way that makes me like it. There are lots and lots of songs that I really dislike that are popular choices for AI contestants, so there's a lot of opportunity for surprise - unfortunately, the former is what usually happens (bad song sung poorly). But when a performer makes me like a song that I would normally change the radio dial to escape, I sit up and take notice of them, because that is the difference between someone who can sing the notes, and someone who can really inhabit a song. Last season Clay blew me away when he sang "Don't Let the Sun Go Down On Me" - that's when he went from sentimental geek-boy fave due to his nerdy look to being my all-out front-runner.

guinevere

- In contrast to what I said above, I just remembered Carmen's rendition of "Call Me" last season. Blondie is one of my favorite bands, and Carmen's performance left me totally scarred - but Blondie is an unusual choice for AI. It figures that the only person who would sing a song of theirs would be Goat Girl!

JonnyCoop

Record Breaker
guinevere said:

OTOH, while I love hearing a song I like sung really well, one of the things I enjoy most about AI is hearing a song I dislike sung in a way that makes me like it. There are lots and lots of songs that I really dislike that are popular choices for AI contestants, so there's a lot of opportunity for surprise - unfortunately, the former is what usually happens (bad song sung poorly). But when a performer makes me like a song that I would normally change the radio dial to escape, I sit up and take notice of them, because that is the difference between someone who can sing the notes, and someone who can really inhabit a song.

I know exactly what you mean. My favorite last season, Trenyce, I swear managed to somehow get her hands on my personal list of songs I cannot stand and one by one managed to sing most of them before she was done, yet her renditions I actually liked.

guinevere

Final Flight
Josh also had a great moment sort of like that, with the Aerosmith song "Don't Want to Close My Eyes" or whatever it's called (from the movie Armaggedon). I don't actually hate the song, but I wasn't that fond of Josh, and he did a countrified version of it that seems like it shouldn't have worked - and I really loved it. That was his absolute best performance, IMO, and another great surprise.

Oh dear, this thread is supposed to be about negative things....um, let's talk about Carmen again...

guinevere

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
I don't remember which country singer sang IDWMAT but Josh did it the exact same way, and I agree... it was awesome

but his best performance IMHO was "Piano Man" he blew me away with his rendition... .hope he records it on his first album! :)

on topic... I have to say a song I hate, sung badly, is horrible... but if they screw up one of my favorite songs... then they're on my hit list LOL way worse if they mess with my favorite songs

show 42

Arm Chair Skate Fan
Record Breaker
Definitely, a good song sung badly is most painful. I was so embarassed last night for Noel and Jesus......a good example of good songs sung badly................42

mike79

On the Ice
I would have to say singing a good song badly is the worst out of the two options.

The absolute worst is when terrible performances get a person into the top 12, i.e. Matt Rodgers.