If i could give an OGM to someone without one | Page 6 | Golden Skate

If i could give an OGM to someone without one

asiacheetah

On the Ice
Evgenia does not have an OGM as her team got silver when Chan's got gold. Agree on the team event though as being there in person, while fun, compared to the individual events it felt like a glorified cheesefest. But that's JMHO.

You're right. Faulty memories lol.

Globetrotter

Medalist
Had Slutskaya been in first after the SP, she might have felt more pressure and skated her LP even worse. Or not. But I do think the SP placement does have a psychological impact, and being in the lead could cause a skater to skate better or worse.

Those were the years when US FS was in ascendency while Russia was still getting out of the doldrums in the post Soviet years. I agree that Irina should have been first after the SP - Michelle for all her brilliance has rarely been able to beat Irina in the tech programme cum SP. Other than the spiral sequence, Irina’s jumps and spins were more difficult (3Lz-2R, 3F fully around) and better executed in the SP than Michelle (3Lz-2T, borderline rotated 3F). It really is amazing how the situation has now completely flipped and Russian ladies are running far ahead while US ladies are struggling to even get 3 spots.

LiamForeman

William/Uilyam
Medalist
Off the top of my head: Midori Ito in 1992. Kristi would have stayed in for 1994 and considering the situation she would have been a lock for gold.

RobinA

On the Ice
Michelle Kwan
Brian Orser
Takahashi
Tai & Randy
Kurt Browning

OK, someone reminded me of Christopher Bowman. I can't put him on the list because he never actually did the work, but had he been able to get his problems under control he certainly was a good enough skater to stand atop an Olympic podium. A great loss, that one.

Triple loop

Rinkside
If compulsory figures weren't around at the 1984 Olympics and the current judging system existed, Tiffany Chin and Elaine Zayak would have earned Olympic medals. Their short and long programs were wonderful. 😀

deedee1

Record Breaker
I'm not saying those who did win OGM in that particular year didn't deserve it, of course, say, YuNa Kim over Mao Asada in 2010. But there are quite many skaters I would have loved to see to have won at one of the Oly Games they participated in during their competitive career. Then I should have been over the moon for them. The reality is they didn't win it, sadly. Thus they were, still are and will remain my sentimental favorites forever. Will exclude those who are currently active thus still have a very good chance for OGM in the near future, e.g. Papadakis/Ciezeron:

Kurt Browning, Todd Eldredge, Midori Ito, Usova/Zhulin, Bourne/Kraatz, Irina Slutskaya, Stephane Lambiel, Mao Asada, Daisuke Takahashi, Jeff Buttle. And most of all, Michelle Kwan.

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
It will forever be a black stain upon the reputation of the Golden Skate community that this thread has exceeded 100 posts, and yet not a single one (that I can find) has mentioned Janet Lynn.

She is, in my opinion, the greatest pure skating talent in history. She skated as naturally as she breathed. People throw around the word "effortless" too often to describe a skater with good skating skills, but in her case, it is true.

Giving that many may be too young to have even heard of her, I assign you homework: Go to Youtube and watch her.

Jetta

Rinkside
In total agreement about Janet Lynn. The other two skaters that immediately come to mind are Michelle Kwan and Kurt Browning. Both so deserving.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Those were the years when US FS was in ascendency while Russia was still getting out of the doldrums in the post Soviet years. I agree that Irina should have been first after the SP - Michelle for all her brilliance has rarely been able to beat Irina in the tech programme cum SP. Other than the spiral sequence, Irina’s jumps and spins were more difficult (3Lz-2R, 3F fully around) and better executed in the SP than Michelle (3Lz-2T, borderline rotated 3F). It really is amazing how the situation has now completely flipped and Russian ladies are running far ahead while US ladies are struggling to even get 3 spots.

Well that could change this worlds - russia is like a wild card - you just don't know.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
If compulsory figures weren't around at the 1984 Olympics and the current judging system existed, Tiffany Chin and Elaine Zayak would have earned Olympic medals. Their short and long programs were wonderful. ��

And Scotty Hamilton would be goldless too.

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Sasha Cohen and Sergei Voronov would get my votes :cool14:

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Wow, there is a purity of her skating - reminds me of old skating like Henie rather than Michelle Kwan or yuna Kim. I am no expert but something about Janet L ynn, Sonja Henie, the Protopopovs was so slow and their jump positions were rather stiff? I can't describe it. But there are a lot of black stains out there I suppose. I remember or researched Nicole Bobek, Josee Chouinard, Emanual Sandhu, maria butyrskaya, lu chen, Tiffany Chin - all skaters who seemed to never reach their peak and could have been OGM winners on a given day.

LadyB

Record Breaker
Brian Orser
Toller Cranston (he was absolutely out of this world, he just couldn't do compulsory figures. The fact that this is no longer required tells you all about their importance in FS competitions).
Zhenya Medvedeva
Javi Fernandez
Patrick Chan