If you store skates in your car with no issues, what kind are they? | Golden Skate

If you store skates in your car with no issues, what kind are they?

Caitlan

Spectator
I understand skates need to be babied and will continue taking care of mine. I had to skip going to my favorite rink recently since my skates were at home (I was on an unrelated-to-skating trip) and I consider rental skates too dangerous. So I am thinking of having a knockabout pair to keep in the car so this doesn't happen again. something like this? I don't mind spending the cost of a couple of publics to find out for myself if this will work but would appreciate any personal experience others have had.

yesterday

Record Breaker
I understand skates need to be babied and will continue taking care of mine. I had to skip going to my favorite rink recently since my skates were at home (I was on an unrelated-to-skating trip) and I consider rental skates too dangerous. So I am thinking of having a knockabout pair to keep in the car so this doesn't happen again. something like this? I don't mind spending the cost of a couple of publics to find out for myself if this will work but would appreciate any personal experience others have had.

I'm not completely sure what your goal is, but my questions might help others to help you in the end, so I'll go ahead.

You currently have one pair of skates, but you want to get a second one to put in your car (why don't you take your first one)?
Like a spare pair of glasses for emergency cases?

With glasses, that's not a big deal, with skates I'm not so sure.
It also depends on what your "regular" skates are. If you only skate on cheaper (recreational) skates anyway, you could as well just put that pair into the car? Or go by rentals?

If not, you would probably need a second pair of your current skates. So no cheap option no.2.
And even then, the pairs will not be identical. And if not equally used, will differ even more in feeling and development of the material etc.

But I might have completely misunderstood your plans? 😅 (sry in that case)

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Don't ever store any skates in your car for a long time. Also, what kind are your first pair?

eclipse

Rinkside
I'm not completely sure what your goal is, but my questions might help others to help you in the end, so I'll go ahead.

You currently have one pair of skates, but you want to get a second one to put in your car (why don't you take your first one)?

It also depends on what your "regular" skates are. If you only skate on cheaper (recreational) skates anyway, you could as well just put that pair into the car? Or go by rentals?

If not, you would probably need a second pair of your current skates. So no cheap option no.2.
And even then, the pairs will not be identical. And if not equally used, will differ even more in feeling and development of the material etc.

If you only skate at one rink because storing skates in a car is a good way to waste money due to it destroying support and shape. You can speak to the rink about renting a locker and storing your skates there instead.

Caitlan

Spectator
If you only skate at one rink because storing skates in a car is a good way to waste money due to it destroying support and shape. You can speak to the rink about renting a locker and storing your skates there instead.
thank you, this is a good idea! There are a bunch of rinks I would go to if I had errands in that area (Fremont, Yerba Buena) but there is one specific distant rink I love (Snoopy's Home Ice) and I could definitely see about a locker there.

Caitlan

Spectator

Yes, it would be a back up pair like keeping sunglasses in the car- or like keeping your gym bag packed and ready to go. If there's no way to do it then fair enough.

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
I've been in these for Learn to Skate and have been very pleased with them. At the time I wasn't willing to wear plastic heeled skates which is what our pro shop stocks, although now I have warmed up to the idea. https://www.ebay.com/itm/155454516724
The link is for Riedell Silver Stars. Those are way too highly rated for learn to skate.

And don't keep them in your car.

Also, you can't have one pair of good skates (please get fitted properly by a professional figure skating fitter), and then a throwaway crap level pair for your car. It doesn't work that way.

emilinkaa

On the Ice
Country
Germany
Don't store them in your car for days on end, but maybe just take them with you, if you have space, whenever you're out running errands and might have time to skate? My schedule (and rink locations) have never allowed me to just pop in to a rink and skate, but if you have that ability, then start taking your gym bag with you all the time?

Sunshine247

On the Ice
We’ve packed skates with ice packs when we knew we had to leave our skates somewhere. The reusable ones for lunch boxes. It bought some time so that the skates stayed cool enough.

One time my car AC went out during a summer trip hours from home and I stopped and bought ice and garbage bags at a gas station. We sat with ice on our laps and we put ice bags on top of the skate bags in the trunk!

Be careful there’s no way the skates will get soaked! I wasn’t that fortunate on the aforementioned trip. 😳

LolaSkatesInJapan

♥ Kami Valieva fan ♥
Final Flight
Country
Israel
I still remember when I started, after the coach made an appointment for me at the skates shop/boot fitter, I bought them and came to the rink all happy with my new purchase, she asked if I would be coming always by car or by train and I replied maybe mostly by train but maybe by car sometimes and she said if I come by car DO NOT STORE THE SKATES IN THE CAR. And do not store the skates in my personal locker at the rink either, store there only clothes, gloves, drinks. Then she explained why. Take the skates home everyday after practice and at home, take them out of the bag there.

I don't know what other coaches around are saying but it seems feasible that the skates lose shape if left somewhere that will be very hot or very cold and there's not a foot inside them to keep their shape.

Caitlan

Spectator
We’ve packed skates with ice packs when we knew we had to leave our skates somewhere. The reusable ones for lunch boxes. It bought some time so that the skates stayed cool enough.

One time my car AC went out during a summer trip hours from home and I stopped and bought ice and garbage bags at a gas station. We sat with ice on our laps and we put ice bags on top of the skate bags in the trunk!

Be careful there’s no way the skates will get soaked! I wasn’t that fortunate on the aforementioned trip. 😳
Dedication! Thank you for the frame of reference re:how essential temp control is.

Caitlan

Spectator
I still remember when I started, after the coach made an appointment for me at the skates shop/boot fitter, I bought them and came to the rink all happy with my new purchase, she asked if I would be coming always by car or by train and I replied maybe mostly by train but maybe by car sometimes and she said if I come by car DO NOT STORE THE SKATES IN THE CAR. And do not store the skates in my personal locker at the rink either, store there only clothes, gloves, drinks. Then she explained why. Take the skates home everyday after practice and at home, take them out of the bag there.

I don't know what other coaches around are saying but it seems feasible that the skates lose shape if left somewhere that will be very hot or very cold and there's not a foot inside them to keep their shape.
Oh my goodness, even not using the locker!

LolaSkatesInJapan

♥ Kami Valieva fan ♥
Final Flight
Country
Israel
Oh my goodness, even not using the locker!
Well, it depends on where your locker is located in your rink. At my rink, our lockers are not located inside our dressing rooms, they're located next to the rink, inside the building but outside the ice, in an area which is not air conditioned, so it's either very cold during the winter, or very, VERY hot during the summer, both extremes not good for figure skates storing location. I've seen other rinks where the skaters lockers are located inside the dressing room or in another air conditioned location, so it might be ok to leave them there.

So we only use our lockers to store skating clothes, hair ties etc and during winter, many of us store drinks there too, so they're nice and cold when we arrive

Caitlan

Spectator
Well, it depends on where your locker is located in your rink. At my rink, our lockers are not located inside our dressing rooms, they're located next to the rink, inside the building but outside the ice, in an area which is not air conditioned, so it's either very cold during the winter, or very, VERY hot during the summer, both extremes not good for figure skates storing location. I've seen other rinks where the skaters lockers are located inside the dressing room or in another air conditioned location, so it might be ok to leave them there.

So we only use our lockers to store skating clothes, hair ties etc and during winter, many of us store drinks there too, so they're nice and cold when we arrive
Oh, gotcha. That makes perfect sense except for why they would install it that way. Now that I think of it I am wiping my blades multiple times after skating and I wouldn't want to wait at the rink to make sure they stop getting condensation, nor open a locker to find them rusted. Much to think about.