Ilia Averbukh's Show May Come to the US | Golden Skate

Ilia Averbukh's Show May Come to the US

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
http://web.icenetwork.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20080404&content_id=46915&vkey=ice_news

Ilia Averbukh is moving into the hole left by the cancellation of the COI shows. Apparently the advertising he does is strictly local. All of the skaters featured in the show are recent Russian champions, a stellar cast. One exception-Johnny Weir is being added to later shows.

Shows are being considered in Atlantic City, NJ and Los Angeles.

Good news for show-deprived skating fans in the US!

Kasey

Medalist
The Atlantic City and L.A. shows have been on the schedule since the beginning of the year, and tickets have been on sale for at least a month and a half now......

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
They seem to concentrate on areas with large Russian communities. I hope, however, that they do not repeat their German strategy, but actually do advertise to Americans as well.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
If not, I hope that those of you who speak Russian will tell those of us who don't where and how to purchase tickets!

If not, I hope that those of you who speak Russian will tell those of us who don't where and how to purchase tickets!
He's done quite a bit of work on these shows in Russia bringing skating to the far reaches in that country. Kudoos for him. Hopefully he will do the same in the US.

COI folded because of lack of interest, and SOI are ok with the cities they hit with an interest in skating.

He will need a Sol Hurok approach for hyping the Russian skaters as the best in the world to bring in hordes of people who never watched figure skating more than once. Someone like Hurok could do it and maybe as he did for the Bolshoi Ballet booked an entire month in NYC. I would be happy to see if Averbukh would be able to book the show for 2 consecutive nights.

Russian fans in the US are many and they show up for Ice Theatre of NYC for all their performances.

I really would like to see if this works. Hope it is not too vaudville like. If this venture is a success will it hamper SOI?

btw. I was at SA when they had it in Atlantic City. It was at Broadway Hall. You can reach them on the internet and check if tickets are being sold.

Joe

Atlantic City could've been do-able for us, but NOT with baseball season going on! We actually have a game to go to on May 31st, tickets purchased already.

sillylionlove

Medalist
If you go to ticketmaster.com there seems to be a great number of tickets available. In fact, this is the first of I heard of his show and I live about 40 minutes from Atlantic City.

sillylionlove

Medalist
I didn't know that Johnny would be skating in this show at all but Atlantic City is only a short drive down the Garden State Parkway for him.

Does anyone even know who is skating at this show? I can't seem to find out who is skating.

sillylionlove

Medalist
Actually, I don't think that many people are going to see this show. If you go to ticketmaster...you can get front row seats!! Really!!!! So they must not have sold very many seats...but they are 250 dollars for front row. If the case it what they say on the website...then I might just plunk down 50 dollars for cheap seats!!! (but is Atlantic City really every cheap? I mean blackjack and the slots really do call my name when I am there!! They really do!!)

Is the average American interested in seeing an ice show? I know many fans of figure skating will be interested. Anyone else?

Joe

Kasey

Medalist
I believe what was reported was that Johnny was going to do some of the "later shows" on the tour. I would assume that to mean AC and LA, since those are the last two, but it could be wrong.

Some other skaters on the tour are Totmianina/Marinen, Petrova/Tikhonov, Leonova/Kvahlko, Yagudin, Abt, Klimkin, Denkova/Stavisky, Drobiazko/Vanagas, Navka/Kostamarov....

sillylionlove

Medalist
I won 3500 playing black jack at Bally's there. Sure would like to remember what I did with that money???? :scratch:

Perhaps I will use my stimulus check to stimulate the econony of figure skating...or maybe of Bally's in Atlantic City.....just not sure yet!!!

Tickets? Johnny?

Anybody know anything yet about whether Johnny will be in this show? It's not on his "upcoming events" list on his website.

Also, has anyone successfully bought tickets lately? It appears that $85 tickets are available, but you can't see where the seats are without entering some special code or password. What's that about??