Ilinykh/Zhiganshin to work with Shpilband | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Ilinykh/Zhiganshin to work with Shpilband

VIETgrlTerifa

Record Breaker
Do Igor and Marina have bad blood still?

I don't know about him, but if my partner worked to push me out of the rink where I established myself for years, and also taking me out of the coaching team of skaters who I helped built up and garnered high success with, then I would still have bad blood with them even after years have past. If I was the person orchestrating the ouster, I would think something the other person did was so bad that it made me take such an action that would potentially harm my biggest clients.

Last edited:

gravy

¿No ven quién soy yo?
Record Breaker
I can see Elena teaming back up with Nikita during her stint in Canton. :dev2:

Poice

Final Flight
I think this is a good news. I wish them luck and better programs for next season :)

tulosai

Record Breaker
I can see Elena teaming back up with Nikita during her stint in Canton. :dev2:

Not sure if this is serious but I cannot. Nikita and Victoria are currently in a romantic relationship and even seem to have a dog together that they are teaching to do tricks based on their instagrams, so I highly doubt they'll be splitting on the ice unless they split off the ice first.

katha

On the Ice
Not sure if this is serious but I cannot.
I think it's mostly joking with a bit of desire for more soap opera thrown in when things like that are said! ;) And, unfortunately for I/K to a point, they did deliver Sochi. One-time magical performances where all the stars aligned...and loads of people will always remember that and it will probably follow them around for the rest of their careers. And now the next part is purely speculation and purely my opinion, but here goes anyway: I think Nikita was aware what risks he took, that he was teaming up with a weaker partner and was walking away from a secure career. He had to have known that he would be starting from scratch and this season seems like he appreciates the progress they're making on its own terms. So since his decision-making regarding his career IMO was pretty clearly motivated by other factors than just results, all the "but he could be winning more" arguments are sorta misfiring anyway?

Back on topic: I do think Kustarova needs to take a good, hard look at herself and her seeming inability to ever transition pairs beyond a certain point. Bobrova/Soloviev had to leave her as well to reach the next level. Y/M are struggling now, too. Or perhaps she just decides to specialize in being a coach for juniors? Every coach is starting out at some point, but then you have to build on your experiences and develop the know-how to teach top teams. Or accept that it's not for you and focus on youth development or something.

bramweld

Record Breaker
I really wish people would stop beating dead issues.

I agree. We need to stop this. K ended things the way he did with her for a reason. He has no regard for her on any level. You'd have to be completely oblivious to have not noticed that from the time they were kids :hslap: That's life. Deal with it people and move on.

EDIT: I'm curious to know how welcoming Igor's top teams are of the possible additions to their rink. Has the matter been discussed with Maddie and Evan? Or would that be a bit premature.

Last edited:

MK's Winter

Record Breaker
I agree. We need to stop this. K ended things the way he did with her for a reason. He has no regard for her on any level. You'd have to be completely oblivious to have not noticed that from the time they were kids :hslap: That's life. Deal with it people and move on. EDIT: I'm curious to know how welcoming Igor's top teams are of the possible additions to their rink. Has the matter been discussed with Maddie and Evan? Or would that be a bit premature.

I agree. And he is free to do what he wants. But IK is no more and I am so over people wishing them back. Both have moved on obviously. So mourn somewhere else, as IK is no longer a reality but a dream that once was. Nikita is with a partner that suits his needs and Elena has a partner that doesn't mind playing with fire. As Elsa says in Frozen- Let it go...

bramweld

Record Breaker
I agree. And he is free to do what he wants. But IK is no more and I am so over people wishing them back. Both have moved on obviously. So mourn somewhere else, as IK is no longer a reality but a dream that once was. Nikita is with a partner that suits his needs and Elena has a partner that doesn't mind playing with fire. As Elsa says in Frozen- Let it go...

Oh I love that movie. I need to watch it again.

bramweld

Record Breaker
I loan you my girls for a weekend. You will never want to watch it again!

Okay. I'll take your word for it.

But can you imagine it. Let's say I/Z come to Igor and they really gel. We'd have so many great rivalries. P/C and V/M against everybody else and each other. C/B and I/Z vs. S/S and S/K. Not to mention B/S, W/P. C/L and H/D. Who am I missing out? S/B. I'd prefer they give judges a real headache in trying to choose a winner than a great team under performing due to lack of resources.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker

Maybe we should follow and hope for a miracle and Let it be, let it be! I and K were special and of course I am stirring the pot I suppose but the truth is everyone has their "cause" and there will always be the I and K dreamers. Fire and Ice; leather and lace, ebony and ivory there was something special about I and K and they never got a chance to really reach the top of their potential. Anything can happen in skating and anything will If S and K are a couple what are the chances they will stay together? It might help their on ice chemistry? Do skating romantic couples have similar marital stats? I don't know enough couples. I guess those who stayed together include the Protopopovs, Gordeeva and Grinkov, Klimova and Pomarenko (though they had challenges), Selensleva?and Markov , but divorces include Vasova and Vasiliev, Usova and Zhulin, Christopher Dean and Duschesny, Christopher Dean and Jill Trenary, V and Stanislaw or whoever she was married too, Sale and Pelletier, Josee Chouinard was married and divorced a pairs skater,

katha

On the Ice
I'm so sorry for contributing to that endless circling around that stupid tree, I really am. But I always liked I/K, though I could never bring myself to become totally invested in them because IMO the writing was always on the wall there. I just think there's a whole lot of nostalgia involved in the way their career is seen now.

The way I remember it: I/K were in perpetual crisis, basically their whole seniors career. They had moments of glory, but loads of trainwrecks as well. In 2010/2011 overheated expectations crashed down on them, so even though they did well in the GP and at Euros, somehow it was seen as a failure that they didn't immediately become world beaters. Then the mistake at Worlds. Acrimonious split from Zhulin and Zhulin badmouthing them for years afterwards (I will always side-eye him for that. They might well have been hell on wheels, and rumours about work ethic issues and personal conflicts were certainly always around with these two, but it's just so tacky to tear into ex-students like that for years. Particularly since they were still teens with him.). Then Morozov and the usual havoc he wreaks. 2012 was relatively stable and saw good results. 2013 the Ghost program from hell and the mistake at Worlds. 2014 and NHK screw up, TEB triumph, Elena's fall lost them the Euros title and Nikita's a Worlds medal at the least. Triumph and career high in Sochi. Split. It was like whiplash with these two. Never stability, never a clear path forward. Jekyll and Hyde (hey, that would have been a good theme for an FD for them! LOL). So the split didn't surprise me much, knowing their history. Perhaps the timing, that he wasn't willing to stick it out even after Sochi. But I guess that just showed that he really couldn't stand it all anymore and would rather risk his career than continue on that rollercoaster. And I don't think I'm misremembering things at all, I think there's been a bit of rose-colored glasses and rewriting of history when it comes to them in some corners.

MK's Winter

Record Breaker
Maybe we should follow and hope for a miracle and Let it be, let it be! I and K were special and of course I am stirring the pot I suppose but the truth is everyone has their "cause" and there will always be the I and K dreamers. Fire and Ice; leather and lace, ebony and ivory there was something special about I and K and they never got a chance to really reach the top of their potential. Anything can happen in skating and anything will If S and K are a couple what are the chances they will stay together? It might help their on ice chemistry? Do skating romantic couples have similar marital stats? I don't know enough couples. I guess those who stayed together include the Protopopovs, Gordeeva and Grinkov, Klimova and Pomarenko (though they had challenges), Selensleva?and Markov , but divorces include Vasova and Vasiliev, Usova and Zhulin, Christopher Dean and Duschesny, Christopher Dean and Jill Trenary, V and Stanislaw or whoever she was married too, Sale and Pelletier, Josee Chouinard was married and divorced a pairs skater,

I never factor couple status in. I grew up on Gritshuk and Platov and Usova and Zhulin. Couples who are together don't always do well together. I love Elena with Ruslan because he doesn't hold her back and be damned wouldn't just give up on a twizzle sequence when they are on the verge of becoming WC. Let IK go and focus on the now because the potential is there and it could absolutely be amazing. And that is in regards to IZ.

bramweld

Record Breaker

It's their personal choice. But sometimes being a couple doesn't really add to chemistry. Some couples want to protect that so its directed inward. Even though I/Z are not a couple they have a very palpable chemistry which attracts you to them. What we saw in I/K was thinly concealed pain, anger, resentment and disappointment. If that's chemistry I'm flabbergasted. I was a huge fan, but considering his actions towards her, I never, ever want to see her near him again unless its on an ice dance podium. You can't force people to come together. He couldn't deal, but we had better.

Snow63

Pray one day we'll open our eyes.
Record Breaker
I don't see any problems with speculating about certain couples reunion, even if it's completely impossible now. Endless 'what if's will chase them during their long (I hope) careers, no matter if you like that or not.

At least it's better than discuss 'Frozen' in not very appropriate thread, and tell other people what to do or not to do. :rolleye:

I wonder how well Elena and Ruslan know English. It's gotta be tough for them to live in US for three months, even if they train with russian speaking coach.

Last edited:

Marta25

Medalist
I don't see any problems with speculating about certain couples reunion, even if it's completely impossible now. Endless 'what if's will chase them during their long (I hope) careers, no matter if you like that or not.

At least it's better than discuss 'Frozen' in not very appropriate thread, and tell other people what to do or not to do. :rolleye:

I wonder how well Elena and Ruslan know English. It's gotta be tough for them to live in US for three months, even if they train with russian speaking coach.

Elena has lived in the US for 2 years when she was younger. I think she is pretty fluent. I'm unsure about Ruslan, though.

solani

Record Breaker
Country
Austria
I'm so sorry for contributing to that endless circling around that stupid tree, I really am. But I always liked I/K, though I could never bring myself to become totally invested in them because IMO the writing was always on the wall there. I just think there's a whole lot of nostalgia involved in the way their career is seen now.

The way I remember it: I/K were in perpetual crisis, basically their whole seniors career. They had moments of glory, but loads of trainwrecks as well. In 2010/2011 overheated expectations crashed down on them, so even though they did well in the GP and at Euros, somehow it was seen as a failure that they didn't immediately become world beaters. Then the mistake at Worlds. Acrimonious split from Zhulin and Zhulin badmouthing them for years afterwards (I will always side-eye him for that. They might well have been hell on wheels, and rumours about work ethic issues and personal conflicts were certainly always around with these two, but it's just so tacky to tear into ex-students like that for years. Particularly since they were still teens with him.). Then Morozov and the usual havoc he wreaks. 2012 was relatively stable and saw good results. 2013 the Ghost program from hell and the mistake at Worlds. 2014 and NHK screw up, TEB triumph, Elena's fall lost them the Euros title and Nikita's a Worlds medal at the least. Triumph and career high in Sochi. Split. It was like whiplash with these two. Never stability, never a clear path forward. Jekyll and Hyde (hey, that would have been a good theme for an FD for them! LOL). So the split didn't surprise me much, knowing their history. Perhaps the timing, that he wasn't willing to stick it out even after Sochi. But I guess that just showed that he really couldn't stand it all anymore and would rather risk his career than continue on that rollercoaster. And I don't think I'm misremembering things at all, I think there's been a bit of rose-colored glasses and rewriting of history when it comes to them in some corners.
You know, when you sum it up like that I could almost believe that Nikita was a sane person when he made the decision to the end the partnership. And many people really prefer a quiet life without the drama. :)
Zhulin lacks soft skills. We know that since ... you know.