I'm not giving up on Kwan!!! | Golden Skate

I'm not giving up on Kwan!!!

Arianne

On the Ice
I have been a Michelle fan for years. I think she is graceful and gracious. I am excited to see what she will do under the COP this year. I am traveling to St. Louis to see nationals. Michelle never ceases to surprise and I think she may just have it in her to give the Olympics another shot. She also has a great team rallying behind her. Yes, she may not have as much exposure as the other skaters, but she is smart and she is a fighter. I'm not giving up on her. (just hope she is injury free in time!) Any new news on how she is doing?

R.D.

Record Breaker
Not that I know of

Anyone know if Kwan intends to skate at that Marshall's thingy? It's next Sunday and camp Kwan hasn't said anything about it. If she can't make it they should say something now. JMO

Jimmy Hoffa

On the Ice
Right on! I'm not giving up on her either.
Any new news on how she is doing?
mzheng posted on MKF that Kwan is jumping some but not all of her triples again, and she might be spinning again too.

kyla2

Final Flight
Me Neither

I'm not giving up on her either. She is after all, the Kween.

jesslily

Final Flight
Probably Michelle is well prepared for the cheesefest. She might give an almost perfect CoP friendly performance. She knows how to get back to her best form, and her coaching team know how to let her earn the most points she can. She might surprise people who have doubted about her.

R.D.

Record Breaker
She might surprise people who have doubted about her.

I think so, too. It seems hopeless but she still has a chance. Granted, not as big as in 98 or 02, but it's there. But her limited Cop experience (compared to everyone else) will ultimately work against her.

jesslily said:
Probably Michelle is well prepared for the cheesefest. She might give an almost perfect CoP friendly performance. She knows how to get back to her best form, and her coaching team know how to let her earn the most points she can. She might surprise people who have doubted about her.
Oh, I hope so! That would totally :rock:

But if she is not ready to go full out by next week, I bet she's on the phone right now to Sasha, Alissa and Emily saying, OK, girls, here's the deal: only four jumps allowed and no jump bigger than a double Axel.

MM ;)

R.D.

Record Breaker
Not to mention this is the first of a likely number of threads that will turn the tide and make Kwan the American favorite once again. :cool: The press will pitch in, too, and so will NBC.

cmego500

Rinkside
I feel as though michelle still has atleast 4 more great performances in her and would never write her off for an olympic medal, gold perhaps.

nubka

Final Flight
Commercial...

Well, has anyone else seen the commercial on tv advertsing the upcomming olympics? I just saw it today. It briefly shows Michelle and then we see the word "pressure"...(and that's about it - it's a very short commercial.)

Not very uplifting!

ladybug

On the Ice
Michelle needs Scott Williams by her side at Nationals and Olympics. He seemed to have a very calming effect on her. He could be there as her advisor. She could have Scott on her left, RA on her right and TT standing over them all.

:rofl:

Red Dog said:
Not to mention this is the first of a likely number of threads that will turn the tide and make Kwan the American favorite once again. :cool: The press will pitch in, too, and so will NBC.
RD - Did you see World News Tonight about Mao? They mentioned Sasha Cohen - not Michelle as the best the US has to offer for the Olys.

If the press suddenly goes bananas over Michelle at the Nationals, why does this bother you. How terrible is that for you?

Joe

Mafke

Medalist
It's pretty clear (I think) that Kwan's career is winding down. It's a little sad but perfectly normal, even the greatest competitive careers have to end sometime. Still, I wouldn't be surprised if she still doesn't have a great competitive performance or two left.

I don't think much of the olympics (large understatement) so I don't especially care how she does in Turin, but however she does I hope she goes to the world championships afterwards.

Also, realistically speaking, the best thing for skating (as opposed to particular skaters) would be for the Turin gold medalist (whoever she may be) to have a long skating career after the olympics. The last three gold medalists have had poor post olympic careers and another post olympic fizzle out career (whether due to burn out or age or whatever) won't be a good thing.

MissCleo

On the Ice
Last night, Leno had Tyra Banks on the show. She mentioned that she is retiring because she wanted to leave on top before someone kicks her out of modeling. I think that Kwan is going down this road. I want to see her skate beautifully one last time and then say "Its over, I'm done."

cleopatra20042004 said:
Last night, Leno had Tyra Banks on the show. She mentioned that she is retiring because she wanted to leave on top before someone kicks her out of modeling. I think that Kwan is going down this road. I want to see her skate beautifully one last time and then say "Its over, I'm done."
I think most of her fans feel the same way. Other nonfans just want her to skate and lose. that's important to them.

Joe

nymkfan51

Medalist
I absolutely believe this will be her last season. Any previous doubt about that, IMO, was washed away with her injury struggles this season.

I consider myself to be one of those uber fans so many people speak of ... not in a bad way, though. I love her to death and will always remain true to her, no matter where she places in a competition. That said, I am also not an idiot (ok, so at least I don't think I am :rofl: ) ... I know this will be the hardest test to date for her. There are many factors weighing against her ... but the one thing that will never change is her heart. Her programs have always been more than just the elements. She does something to an audience that I have rarely seen in sport, and this is no small thing. That is why I believe you can never totally count her out. Most people know her chances are not great, but as Yogi always said ...

" it ain't over till it's over!"

:rock: :thumbsup: :clap: :agree:

attyfan

Custom Title
Medalist
I wouldn't write off Michelle, either. After all, right after her meltdown in Prague in '93, how many people expected Nancy to comeback? And, who expected Chen Lu to be on the podium in Nagano after her meltdown in Lausanne?

R.D.

Record Breaker
Joesitz said:
RD - Did you see World News Tonight about Mao? They mentioned Sasha Cohen - not Michelle as the best the US has to offer for the Olys.

No, I missed it- I wasn't aware that it was on until almost after it did.

That would make sense as MK has still not skated yet this season. But if Cohen is going to usurp the position that Kwan had in 02 going into next year, we all know that's just asking for disaster. It's the end for her.

If the press suddenly goes bananas over Michelle at the Nationals, why does this bother you. How terrible is that for you?

Who said it bothered me?? I'm just saying, that's all. Why do people assume that things like this "bother" me?

mzheng

Record Breaker
nymkfan51 said:
I absolutely believe this will be her last season. Any previous doubt about that, IMO, was washed away with her injury struggles this season.

I consider myself to be one of those uber fans so many people speak of ... not in a bad way, though. I love her to death and will always remain true to her, no matter where she places in a competition. That said, I am also not an idiot (ok, so at least I don't think I am :rofl: ) ... I know this will be the hardest test to date for her. There are many factors weighing against her ... but the one thing that will never change is her heart. Her programs have always been more than just the elements. She does something to an audience that I have rarely seen in sport, and this is no small thing. That is why I believe you can never totally count her out. Most people know her chances are not great, but as Yogi always said ...

" it ain't over till it's over!"

:rock: :thumbsup: :clap: :agree:

You said it beautyfully. I can't phrase it better. :rock:

Eeyora

Final Flight
cleopatra20042004 said:
I want to see her skate beautifully one last time and then say "Its over, I'm done."

And hopefully that will be at the Olympics and Worlds.