Interesting Article on Frances Dafoe and Norris Bowden (twice World Pairs Champions) | Golden Skate

Interesting Article on Frances Dafoe and Norris Bowden (twice World Pairs Champions)

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
Interesting Article on Frances Dafoe and Norris Bowden (twice World Pairs Champions)

I didn't know much of this

The Canadian pair did things that other skaters only dreamed about. They advanced the sport with their athletic tricks and carefully choreographed routines. They were the first pairs skaters to do a twist lift, a throw jump, a catch lift, a pressure lift, and a host of other moves, some of which became illegal later.

Talks mostly about the politicking (both w/in Canada and the sport world in general); definitely worth a looksee.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
I never knew that in the 50's, the Austrians were the eville center of ice skating politicking. :laugh:

Last edited:

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
The next manleywoman skatecast is going to be an extended interview with Frances Dafoe. It sounds like there will be a lot to discuss there!

skatesindreams

Rinkside
I didn't know much of this
Talks mostly about the politicking (both w/in Canada and the sport world in general); definitely worth a looksee.

As a major admirer of both Ellen Burka and Toller Cranston, I was happy to read this:

Her favourite skating costumers were the ones she designed for Toller Cranston's 1982 television special, Strawberry Ice, for which Ellen Burka was the choreographer.

"I was kind of terrified of the two of them," Dafoe said. "I thought, 'Oh gosh ... Toller will never be able to keep his fingers off [the costume design].' But the two of us got along like a house on fire. We never had an artistic disagreement. I enjoyed working with him. He really was brilliant."