International Teams Named For Upcoming Championships | Page 2 | Golden Skate

International Teams Named For Upcoming Championships

Ogre Mage

On the Ice
The fact Evan L. and Jenny are being sent to 4CC before Moscow suggests the USFSA thinks they need more international experience and have some "polishing" to do in preparation for Worlds. I'm not confident about either of them under CoP.

4CC also sets up a potential showdown between Kirk and Liang ... that should be interesting.

Nice to see Alissa Czisny going to Jr. Worlds. I saw her LP live -- she had a fine sense of musicality but had so-so jumps and was lacking in speed and ice coverage.

mpal2

Final Flight
Antilles said:
Interesting that Weiss isn't going to 4CC's. That means his season is over.
It's the same for Scott and Dulebohn.

Do you think any of them will be back competing next year? I really wonder because Mike was doing some of the Disson shows and SOI stops. Scott and Dulebohn had the fluff piece where they talked about coaching and other activities taking their attention off their training.

Did they show up this year just to see how it would go and decide about next year based on the results?

Kuchana said:
Kirk is the only lady from the World team going to the 4CC??? Just great.
For some reason U.S. skaters, especially the ladies, have never taken Four Continents seriously. I don't think either Michelle or Sasha has ever gone. They would rather spend the time preparing for worlds.

In contrast, the European skaters -- for instance Irina Slutskaya and Evgeni Plushenko -- treat Europeans as a huge event. They are more proud of winning it than of winning a mere national Championship. Also, they seem to feel, unlike the Americans, that the best way to prepare for Worlds is to skate.

Hi, Ogre Mage. I don't think the USFSA is trying to make any kind of statement in sending Jenny and Lysacek to Four Continents. I think they just went down the list: Michelle, do you want to go (no); Sasha, do you want to go (no); Kimmie, do you want to go (no, I want to do junior worlds instead). Jenny , do you want to go (OK), Bebe, do you want to go (OK -- I'll pass on junior worlds), Amber...

Mathman

guinevere

Final Flight
MM, I'm sure you're right that USFSA went down the list asking the skaters if they wanted to compete at 4CC, but I can totally see them giving Jenny & Evan more than a suggestion that they *should* go to 4CC. I can also see those skaters (especially Evan) wanting the opportunity to get another competition under their belts before Worlds.

Not surprised that Weiss declined (or was he not asked?). I'll be very interested to see what he decides to do with his career for next season.

The very idea of seeing Michelle or Sasha at 4CC.... that's funny! (Or sad, depending on how you look at it).

R.D.

Record Breaker
guinevere said:
The very idea of seeing Michelle or Sasha at 4CC.... that's funny! (Or sad, depending on how you look at it).

No, it's funny. :yes: :biggrin: :laugh:

Kuchana

On the Ice
Mathman said:
For some reason U.S. skaters, especially the ladies, have never taken Four Continents seriously. I don't think either Michelle or Sasha has ever gone. They would rather spend the time preparing for worlds.

In contrast, the European skaters -- for instance Irina Slutskaya and Evgeni Plushenko -- treat Europeans as a huge event. They are more proud of winning it than of winning a mere national Championship. Also, they seem to feel, unlike the Americans, that the best way to prepare for Worlds is to skate.

Mathman

Yeah that's evident, which is really a shame. I recall at least one time when Michelle did go to 4cc (correct me if I'm wrong). I think it was in the '97 season. What I don't get is why the USFSA doesn't see the benefits of sending their top skaters to this event, especially if it might help them better for Worlds, specificully in Michelle's case.

Which brings me to ask the next question. Was there ever a time the USFSA did treat the 4CC as a premier event as the Europeans? Are the other countries in the continent treating this as a premier event?