Interview with Michelle on Russia Today | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Interview with Michelle on Russia Today

oleada

Record Breaker
Meh. I hope she doesn't come back. I find ladies a lot more interesting now that Irina, Sasha and Michelle are all gone.

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
She's to old to think about competing in the Olympics, now she can't go to
Hollywood because her front teeth are crooked. Good Lord people, no one is perfect. I am o.k. with criticism about Michelle 's skating and if you don't like her skating that's o.k. too, but personal digs about age and looks just bugs me no matter who the skater is.

passion

On the Ice
Everyone thought that in 2006, Irina had it in the bag -- she has done 3/3s for a long time -- and no one thought that anyone would ever win with only 5 triples and no 3/3s. I think the issue is not whether Maria B was 26 or 29 -- the issue was that the whole world was saying that, under the existing technical demands, no one Maria's age could win worlds until Maria did it, just as after '98 and '02, everyone was saying that no one could win the OGM without a 3/3 until Shizuka did it.

I think it's about breaking records and also breaking out of a fixed limited mentality, too. Yay Kwan! She is such a classy young lady and such a great role model.

Lumi

On the Ice
I am not saying Michelle can't come back because she is too old, I am saying that she can't come back and WIN because she never had the tehcnical difficulty that COP demands. Even when Michelle was younger the best she did was 3toe/3toe. It's nothing these days. Just losing points for not be able to do two lutz's anf flip's. She would also have to improve her spins and spirals, because nice change of edge just dosen't do it anymore. You sould be able to do 4059378 positions which is quite a demand for your flexibility. Forged the quality as long as you get good levels and big points. That's COP.

Be sick of people saying Kwan is too old. Well, time limited for her too. Olympics are three years away and Michelle would have to learn all the new stuff... And same time her more capable competitiors are also trainning as hard as they can. Kwan fans sould be able to see the reality. Odds are against her.

And about Sasha... I think comeback is a bad idea for her too, if she dreams about winning.

Personally (this is just me :) ), I don't care too much about the Olympics. Let Mao and Yu-na and the new kids on the block have their fling.

But what would be totally cool is if Michelle could come back for one more U.S. title shot. The old gunslinger getting the drop on the young straplings one last time before riding into the sunset. :rock:

Hey, did you hear the part in the interview where she said she hasn't ruled out organizing and headlining her own tour some day, like Plushenko's? :cool:

(OK, you all know I love Michelle to pieces, but what's that dress trying to say that she wore to the Simpson's premier? :p )

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
I can't speak for all of Kwan fans just myself and I do see the reality. If Kwan feels capable and wants to compete again she will. Kwan is not stupid and I am sure she sees the reality too.

Ditto for Sasha.

Last edited:
I'm surprised that Mathman was able to post after looking at those pictures. :laugh: :laugh:

Would someone be so kind as to post what kind of surgery Michelle had. I know that she had surgery but don't know what kind.

Dee
Isn't that nasty speculation? tsk tsk.

I'm not saying that she can't come back because of age. I am saying there will be no more increase in the Technical portion of the competition because of age. She's not exempt from that.

If Kimmie, Emily, Alyssa, Bebe, Megan, and Caroline and Mirai falter, she may just make the podium at Nats. and what if Sasha also skates?

Forget about Worlds. Michelle's finished as far as the podium is concerned. Sad, but let's be realistic.

Joe

krenseby

Final Flight
I'm not saying that she can't come back because of age. I am saying there will be no more increase in the Technical portion of the competition because of age. She's not exempt from that.

If Kimmie, Emily, Alyssa, Bebe, Megan, and Caroline and Mirai falter, she may just make the podium at Nats. and what if Sasha also skates?

Forget about Worlds. Michelle's finished as far as the podium is concerned. Sad, but let's be realistic.

Joe

Actually, to be fair, Michelle has a chance as long as she is willing to learn triple-triples and more complicated spins.

Knowing her, she could go for it. The only thing stopping her is that such a hard step is hardly worthwhile for someone who's already been champion so many times.

Now, hypothetically speaking, if she came back and decided to add triple-triples to her jump repertoire as well as new complicated spins, she wouldn't last long.

With her past injury, all that intense training could be successful enough to let her Win a world or a national medal, but she would reinjure herself eventually.

So the realistic take on the situation is that Kwan can go through a grueling regimen of training to upgrade her skills and get on the podium, but her trip to the top wouldn't last more than a season....

Oh: Last and not least. Learning all the jumps and spins would be enormous hell that she wouldn't want to put herself through it. But if she did want to, she could do it.

Lanie

On the Ice
Michelle's talking up the big game about going back to skating because, face it, that's her appeal. Skating. Same with Sasha.

antmanb

Record Breaker
Actually, to be fair, Michelle has a chance as long as she is willing to learn triple-triples and more complicated spins.

Knowing her, she could go for it. The only thing stopping her is that such a hard step is hardly worthwhile for someone who's already been champion so many times.

Now, hypothetically speaking, if she came back and decided to add triple-triples to her jump repertoire as well as new complicated spins, she wouldn't last long.

With her past injury, all that intense training could be successful enough to let her Win a world or a national medal, but she would reinjure herself eventually.

So the realistic take on the situation is that Kwan can go through a grueling regimen of training to upgrade her skills and get on the podium, but her trip to the top wouldn't last more than a season....

Oh: Last and not least. Learning all the jumps and spins would be enormous hell that she wouldn't want to put herself through it. But if she did want to, she could do it.

Ok, but then hypothetically the protopopov's could start learning a throw triple sal and split triple twist to shake things up in 2010 too :p

I am being extremem in my example but the reality is Kwan scaled back her competitions after SLC in order to preserve her body - she went back to the gruelling grind of full training trying to get the triple/triples and COP friendly positions and her body gave out. She's since had surgery.

I don't think its a question of motivation or drive or talent - all of which she has in enormous amounts - its her body that will more than likely give out again if she tries to ramp up her training. I don't think she'd even make it a season - look at 2006 - she tried and just kept getting injured.

If she wants to go for it i would be waving every flag i had and supporting her every step of the way - i just think that, like 2006, she wouldn't make it onto competitive ice.

Ant

One doesn't learn a triple/tripple lutz/loop. One has to have natural rotation within a lithe body. A type of body that12-16 year olds have. Then one must practice it everyday. It's not easy. How motivated is Michelle, really? She doesn't need to prove anything.

BTW. Name the skaters at 22 or older that learned a triple/triple. Not those that already had it but the ones who never had and took a course in learning.

Good analysis follows in your post. JMO

Joe

attyfan

Custom Title
Medalist

BTW. Name the skaters at 22 or older that learned a triple/triple. Not those that already had it but the ones who never had and took a course in learning.

Good analysis follows in your post. JMO

Joe

I'm not a skater, so I would like to know the following:

First, can it be said that a skater has learned a specific 3/3 before that skater feels sufficiently secure to try it in competition? I understand that, at least under Frank, nothing got tried in competition until MK was landing it cleanly in practice at least 80% of the time. Is it possible that Michelle has "learned" 3/3s other than the 3 toe/3 toe. even if she didn't try them in compeititon because she was landing them in practice only 70% of the time?

Second, how long is it usually between the time a skater learns a 3/3 and the time the skater lands it in competition? IIRC, Irina was 21 or 22 when she became the first woman ever to land a 3 lutz/3 loop. Does this mean she learned it when she was over 20?

I'm not a skater, so I would like to know the following:

First, can it be said that a skater has learned a specific 3/3 before that skater feels sufficiently secure to try it in competition? I understand that, at least under Frank, nothing got tried in competition until MK was landing it cleanly in practice at least 80% of the time. Is it possible that Michelle has "learned" 3/3s other than the 3 toe/3 toe. even if she didn't try them in compeititon because she was landing them in practice only 70% of the time?
More than 'learned', I think it should be has the ability to execute any element. In MK's case, she could have had the ability at mid teens to execute other 3x3s barring any phsical defects. I don't know the whole story on her physical condition after 98 Olys. But at mid-twenties, I doubt she could muster up enough strength for even a 3t/3t since it has been years since her last one. Comebacks in all sports are fun to watch but it's rare that everything is still in tact.

Second, how long is it usually between the time a skater learns a 3/3 and the time the skater lands it in competition? IIRC, Irina was 21 or 22 when she became the first woman ever to land a 3 lutz/3 loop. Does this mean she learned it when she was over 20?
First of all - not everyone will 'learn' a 3/3. That's a genetic gift.

As I recall Irina before she left competition for a year, she was very busy improving her figure skating. She, imo, had a lot of drive to win. However at the SLC Olys and before then, there was no need for a 3/3. It wasn't till Miki came bouncing into Dortmund threatening a Quad, and Shizuka actally doing a 3/3/2 that Irina came back the following year with 3/3s (she needed them - news of Japanese Ladies were spreading). She also took note of the CoP and came up with a questionable Bielman spiral. She was going to get that gold Oly this time around. She had guts and the right kind of genes for jumping. How old she was at that time was not a problem because of the high motivation she had. As a jumper she was extremely gifted. As for presentation, I have never seen anything more than what she has always done.

How much motivation remains for Irina, Michelle, and Sasha too? The bodies can not keep up with the yunguns. If comebacks take place, they will have to rely on Presentation, and let's face it, Zhang will pressur them in that area.

Joe

DaveT

On the Ice
I continue to follow, simply amazed by the clairvoyance of the site's posters, Miss Cleo has nothing on Golden Skate. More please........

attyfan

Custom Title
Medalist
More than 'learned', I think it should be has the ability to execute any element. In MK's case, she could have had the ability at mid teens to execute other 3x3s barring any phsical defects. I don't know the whole story on her physical condition after 98 Olys. But at mid-twenties, I doubt she could muster up enough strength for even a 3t/3t since it has been years since her last one. ....

As I recall Irina before she left competition for a year, she was very busy improving her figure skating. She, imo, had a lot of drive to win. However at the SLC Olys and before then, there was no need for a 3/3. It wasn't till Miki came bouncing into Dortmund threatening a Quad, and Shizuka actally doing a 3/3/2 that Irina came back the following year with 3/3s (she needed them - news of Japanese Ladies were spreading). ....

Sorry, but I don't get the difference between the two, at least not without more medical information than has been made public. Irina started nailing down complicated 3/3 when it became necessary. This was before the rise of the Japanese ladies -- she started doing them on the "If I can't out-do MK on the artistry, I'll out-jump her", and she got them back even after recovering from the vasculitis. So, I see no reason why Michelle couldn't do the same if her hip allows her to do so -- and I don't know enough about her specific injury to determine that issue.

Right now, I don't know if Michelle is physically able to come back, or, assuming that she is able, if she will actually decide to do so. I do feel, though, that at this stage, the only prediction that I feel safe making is the extent to which ticket prices will increase if Michelle does return.

roundboypete

Rinkside
An ode to Shelly's smile

Those​
Who fain would call themselves her foes
And wish upon her endless woes
Remind me most of cawing crows.

I like her teeth, I like her nose,
I like her hair, I like her clothes,
I like her Lutzes, flips and toes,
And so this sonnet I compose.

She's given us our ah's and oh's,
From warm-ups tp her closing pose,
Her smile can reach the highest rows,
Make ladies cheer and men propose!

Our Shelly's had her highs and lows,
She's had her Yes!!! she's had her no's.
Now Shelly says, "That's how it goes.
"About the future, no one knows! ;)

"So to my fans I say, don't pine.
"A World's medal? I've got nine!" :)

I continue to follow, simply amazed by the clairvoyance of the site's posters, Miss Cleo has nothing on Golden Skate. More please........
I think it is more interesting than those 'favorites' opinions that permeate the forums. (Just my opinion :biggrin:)