Interview with Richard Gauthier | Golden Skate

Interview with Richard Gauthier

Alba

Record Breaker
Vaytsekhovskaya's interview with Richard Gauthier `Volosozhar/Trankov would have a hard time competing with the new generation' for sport-express.ru

Thanks to TAHbKA for the translation. :)
I like this interview. I like how he thinks and speak.
He sounds to me very honest and polite.:yes:

An extract:
EV: A year and half ago when Duhamel/Radford became world bronze medalists you said they are limited in what they can do to be a competition for the leading pairs. Now we see great programmes and an amazing technical base. What was your post-Olympic season strategy?

RG: When Duhamel/Radford decided they want to continue for another 4 years we sat down to think what can we do to improve. The 3lz and a quad throw is a good start for the technical mark. As for the components -first of all we needed good programmes. We are indeed limited: those two can't do classics or a romantic programme. The current programme, I think, is a success. The technical part is still their stronger side. Nevertheless I was never a fan of a quad throw.

EV: Why?

RG: Because there is life after figure skating. I would like her to be able to walk after she retires.

EV: And yet you integrated the quad throw into the programme.

RG: Yes, Meagan insisted. Had she been very slim and fragile I wouldn't agree - the risk for an injury would be too great. But Meagan is strong. Besides Duhamel/Radford never had such huge throws like Volosozhar/Trankov or the Chinese couples where the female partner covers half of the rink and god knows how that flight might end. I still shudder remembering the Turino games and the quad throw where the Chinese skater fell... It took a long time for me to agree on the quad. I told Meagan and Eric I will not consider the quad till they do all their elements with a positive GOE. But they did it and I ran out of arguments to why not. Still I try to minimize the risk. I don't let them do the quad more than 2-3 times a practice. The tiredness would ruin the coordination.

EV: Were you surprised by the progress of Stolbova/Klimov last season and their successful debut in the worlds and Olympics?

RG: First of all let me note they skated really well the whole season. Am more surprised they don't have any new elements to add to their programmes. The 3lz or at least two different jumps. I think they are capable. Perhaps the fact their season was much longer than usually still has an impact - probably they had lots of shows. In our team we counted on Stolbova/Klimov to make a step forward and not to skate more or less the same programme to a different music. Of course now there is no point changing the programme - they might not have time to polish it till the worlds.

and this:

EV: Perhaps a not PC question, but still: when Eric decided to come out were you trying to stop him? Were you afraid it might damage their image? After all pairs skating is about a man and a woman

RG: Eric didn't do it for a PR. He thinks that way he might help many young people to accept themselves. After his comeout he received hundreds of letters and emails of gratitude. It's hard being different... Of course we spoke about that before he made an announcement. I told him all the medals and titles will be forgotten a couple of years after he retires, but if at least one person will say Radford's example helped him becoming what he did - your life was not in vain.

The rest here: http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/ind...skayas-interview-with-richard-gauthier.94254/

FSGMT

Record Breaker
Interesting :yes: And thanks God his opinion about the 4S is a reasonable and responsible one! :bow:

Alba

Record Breaker
Interesting :yes: And thanks God his opinion about the 4S is a reasonable and responsible one! :bow:

Indeed. I have the same feelings about the quad, and like him it's since Torino. :slink:
However, he does have a good point about Meagan's body build, and his approach looks very responsible and reasonable. Never heard or read about him before, but he really sounds a very genuine person.

Last edited:

alithia

Final Flight
I had spent so many years disliking Gautier cause I didn't like S/P.And then I saw what he did with D/R.How he understand what are the strong points of his pair, what are the weak ones, isn't hallucinating, tackles everything and never rests in his laurels..

Alba

Record Breaker
I had spent so many years disliking Gautier cause I didn't like S/P.And then I saw what he did with D/R.How he understand what are the strong points of his pair, what are the weak ones, isn't hallucinating, tackles everything and never rests in his laurels..

I din't like S&P either, and I don't like D&R also, but he is good and I agree with you.

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
"RG: Because there is life after figure skating. I would like her to be able to walk after she retires.":bow:

Thx Alba. I know next to nothing about D/R's skating, but I like Meagan's attitude and I definitely like Richard Gauthier's attitude.

Alba

Record Breaker
"RG: Because there is life after figure skating. I would like her to be able to walk after she retires.":bow:

Thx Alba. I know next to nothing about D/R's skating, but I like Meagan's attitude and I definitely like Richard Gauthier's attitude.

No, nothing against her. She is a strong technical skater. Just not my cup of tea. I agree about her attitude. I like that too.

I was also afraid for the throw seeing how excited Meagan would get after every successful landing

That's so Meagan. :biggrin:

Sjs5572

Final Flight
In light of the risk/difficulty of throw quads, I think the point system is all wrong. In singles a 3s is 4.20 and 4s is 10.50, while in pairs the respective point values are 4.50 and 8.00. In this regard, shouldn't a throw 4s be worth at least 10.50? If the powers that be are allowing this dangerous move, then the reward should reflect its awesomeness.

Alba

Record Breaker
In light of the risk/difficulty of throw quads, I think the point system is all wrong. In singles a 3s is 4.20 and 4s is 10.50, while in pairs the respective point values are 4.50 and 8.00. In this regard, shouldn't a throw 4s be worth at least 10.50? If the powers that be are allowing this dangerous move, then the reward should reflect its awesomeness.

I don't know if throws in pairs, especially a quad, are more difficult than for singles. But for sure they are more dangerous and they should get not only the same points, but even more.
I feel for both partners because the guy also is very aware of the very high potential for injury for the female partner. Think how he must feel is something happens to her. :no:

Volosozhar was willing to take the risk, for example, but Trankov categorically refused to do the 3A or quad jumps.

Sjs5572

Final Flight
I don't know if throws in pairs, especially a quad, are more difficult than for singles. But for sure they are more dangerous and they should get not only the same points, but even more.
I feel for both partners because the guy also is very aware of the very high potential for injury for the female partner. Think how he must feel is something happens to her. :no:

Volosozhar was willing to take the risk, for example, but Trankov categorically refused to do the 3A or quad jumps.

I guess this is why only D/R are attempting it right now.... 3.5 points less the likely lower GOE makes the move hardly worth it. I guess this is a passive way of ISU discouraging it. Very wimpy approach, IMHO.

Last edited:

anyanka

Record Breaker
Re: Meagan getting excited after landing every jump successfully, her careerism, her drive, her enthusiasm and even the way she speaks in terms of cadence and rhythm ... for me she is the Reese Witherspoon of figure skating. Reese is successful and a fierce careerist, and she may have ruffled feathers along the way (if you read the gossip rags), but no one can categorically deny her success or accomplishments. Same with Meagan. I may not consider Reese a great artist, but she is an accomplished actor and technically she nails all her performances and is a great workhorse, but she is not Marion Cotillard. Same with Meagan: she is a brilliant technician, although she's not an artist in the same vein as Carolina Kostner, I respect her accomplishments and she doesn't have a bad day at the office. She still deserves our respect and admiration (she has mine). The parallel I also find is that the way both rub people the wrong way and elicit very passionate reactions from fans. Just my two cents.

Last edited:

Alba

Record Breaker
I guess this is why only D/R are attempting it right now.... 3.5 points less the likely lower GOE makes the move hardly worth it.

I think so too. The risk is very high and the reward is ridiculous.

I guess this is a passive way of ISU discouraging it. Very wimpy approach, IMHO

Indeed. I'm against it but I don't like this approach either.
In fact, although I'm against it, on the other hand I'm not for not allowing skaters to not push their tech, if that's what they want.
So if some pairs do that, reward them properly. No half measures.

Sjs5572

Final Flight
Sorry for redundancy. I just noticed that "Canadianskaterguy" made my point arguments on Stolbova thread.

Alba

Record Breaker
Sorry for redundancy. I just noticed that "Canadianskaterguy" made my point arguments on Stolbova thread.

Don't be sorry. For me it's a pleasure, and this is a perfect topic for that too. :)

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
Re: Meagan getting excited after landing every jump successfully, her careerism, her drive, her enthusiasm and even the way she speaks in terms of cadence and rhythm ... for me she is the Reese Witherspoon of figure skating. Reese is successful and a fierce careerist, and she may have ruffled feathers along the way (if you read the gossip rags), but no one can categorically deny her success or accomplishments. Same with Meagan. I may not consider Reese a great artist, but she is an accomplished actor and technically she nails all her performances and is a great workhouse, but she is not Marion Cotillard. Same with Meagan: she is a brilliant technician, although she's not an artist in the same vein as Carolina Kostner, I respect her accomplishments and she doesn't have a bad day at the office. She still deserves our respect and admiration (she has mine). The parallel I also find is that the way both rub people the wrong way and elicit very passionate reactions from fans. Just my two cents.

LOL! Spot on!