Is Kimmie Meissner underrated? | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Is Kimmie Meissner underrated?

R.D.

Record Breaker
It's not all on Meissner though...say she has a rough outing and places 5th. That still puts pressure on Em to finish in the top 10. Even if Kim medals, Hughes still has to finish no lower than 10th to keep the 3 spots.

ETA: For kicks, I rewatched her Skate America LP in HD. It makes a big difference, actually. I much prefer the freeskate she had last year, but I can see subtle improvements in her presentation during the "still moments". Jump mistakes aside, I still think she's not at "that level" yet. She could get there, though. Maybe HiDef brings out her facial expressions more? I noticed more of that as well, an improvement.

Last edited:

bekalc

Record Breaker
It's not all on Meissner though...say she has a rough outing and places 5th. That still puts pressure on Em to finish in the top 10. Even if Kim medals, Hughes still has to finish no lower than 10th to keep the 3 spots.

Well, that's why I want Wagner and not Alissa on the team. Wagner landed (I can say it now) 7 triples at Skate Canada, and many say was horribly underscored. When you think about it, that's better than Zhang did at Skate America. And they are fully rotated.

I say a team of Wagner/Meissner/Hughes will get the job done.

museksk8r

Record Breaker
Country
United-States

I was just being realistic and taking into consideration Emily Hughes' 13th place in the LP at the last Worlds along with the fact that her short program and long program on paper are among the easiest technically when compared to the other ladies of the world. Sorry, but no 3+3 attempt in the SP or LP, no attempt at the 3loop, and no 2nd pass at the most difficult triples (Lutz and flip) are not going to get the job done technically against all the others. With this mindset, Emily is having to rely on ladies with more difficult programs to make mistakes in order for her to place well.

With Hughes out of the GP Final and her Harvard studies will be a priority, I wonder if she will continue skating competitively? If she does skate Nationals, will she skate Worlds if she is in top 3?

Since Miria and Caroline will be too young for Worlds, Kimmie's back up maybe Ashley and Rachael, both of whom I could see as a top ten placement in Worlds. As for Bebe and Alyssa, I kinda given up on them.

Joe

That's good to hear. There are difinitely some parts she can interpret better. The only reason I mentioned Tarasova is not because I wanted to say you are wrong, but because I believe if there is one person who has enough authority and also objective perspective, it would be her.
I would not put down other critics. Even a layman can feel music and indeed enjoy the best of choreography. And I hold Tarrasova in great esteem too.

Joe

slutskayafan21

Match Penalty
With Hughes out of the GP Final and her Harvard studies will be a priority, I wonder if she will continue skating competitively? If she does skate Nationals, will she skate Worlds if she is in top 3?

Since Miria and Caroline will be too young for Worlds, Kimmie's back up maybe Ashley and Rachael, both of whom I could see as a top ten placement in Worlds. As for Bebe and Alyssa, I kinda given up on them.

Joe

I think Rachael is also too young for Worlds but I could be wrong. I think the 2 to make it in that case would have to be 2 out of Hughes, Bebe, Czisny, and Wagner. I would guess Czisny and Hughes though.

bekalc

Record Breaker
I think Rachael is also too young for Worlds but I could be wrong. I think the 2 to make it in that case would have to be 2 out of Hughes, Bebe, Czisny, and Wagner. I would guess Czisny and Hughes though.

I seriously pray our team does not include Czisny and Hughes. Hughes, I trust a bit more but with her underrotation, she's an issue.

But Czisny.. No... I don't trust her one bit. I don't want our 3 spots depending on how she skates. Nope.. My fear is that if our team is Meissner, Hughes, and Czisny that we will not earn 3 spots next year. And it won't matter that the young ones are age eligible. I think the judges have given Alissa quite a few PC gifts as elegant as she may be for some pretty disasterous skates, and I hope they don't do it at Nationals this year.

I'm sorry but a team of Wagner, Meissner, and Hughes is our very best shot at Worlds next year.

Please don't get me wrong, Alissa seems like a really sweet girl. But honestly, there's more riding on the line then just Alissa, next year.

Last edited:

R.D.

Record Breaker
Remember, Czisny went to worlds last year only because of an uncharacteristically good FS. And BeBe and Katy tanked as well. I would be surprised if she can hold her own against the likes of some of these new up-and-comers.

Actually, I wouldn't mind Hughes but as Joe pointed out, she's also doing college, which means that she can't possibly be at her potential this time around...and she just barely made the cut last year at worlds. Some people are mentioning an Ashley Wagner. Is she old enough to go this year? This is going to be a really weird Nats on the ladies' end.

bekalc

Record Breaker
Remember, Czisny went to worlds last year only because of an uncharacteristically good FS. And BeBe and Katy tanked as well. I would be surprised if she can hold her own against the likes of some of these new up-and-comers.

Actually, I wouldn't mind Hughes but as Joe pointed out, she's also doing college, which means that she can't possibly be at her potential this time around...and she just barely made the cut last year at worlds. Some people are mentioning an Ashley Wagner. Is she old enough to go this year? This is going to be a really weird Nats on the ladies' end.

Yes, Ashley was old enough last year, and if we had sent her she probably would have done better than Czisny although she competed in Juniors. Given that she managed a 7 triple performance in her first GP, I say send the girl. Last year she averaged 6 triples. Hughes, I would send to not a fan of her skating but she's certainly more stable than Alissa or Bebe.

R.D.

Record Breaker
Yes, Ashley was old enough last year, and if we had sent her she probably would have done better than Czisny although she competed in Juniors. Given that she managed a 7 triple performance in her first GP, I say send the girl. Last year she averaged 6 triples. Hughes, I would send to not a fan of her skating but she's certainly more stable than Alissa or Bebe.

Let her compete at Nats and EARN that Worlds spot. :yes:

bekalc

Record Breaker
Let her compete at Nats and EARN that Worlds spot. :yes:

Oh, I never said that she should have gone. But I'm just saying... We could have used her last year, because we barely got 3 spots last year.. But I think USFSA knows they need Ashley on that world team..

R.D.

Record Breaker
But we still got 3 spots. :yes: over and out, and done.

This year is going to be different. Someone needs to make a list of the competitors and highlight who can actually go to worlds. I know Kimmie, Emily, Alyssa, BeBe and I suppose this Ashley but I don't know of anyone else off the top of my head.

Sylvia

Record Breaker
I just wanted to remind people that the placements of the top 2 (if there are 3 skaters or teams per country) count toward the number of spots for the next year's Worlds.

bekalc

Record Breaker
I just wanted to remind people that the placements of the top 2 (if there are 3 skaters or teams per country) count toward the number of spots for the next year's Worlds.

Very true. But here's the deal Emily barely made 9th place. Because Emily seems to have some issues with underrotating her jumps. That's why having Ashley would be a very good back up. From what I understand if Emily had been one place lower we wouldn't have three spots.. So that's why I seriously hope Wagner is on that team. (Especially looking at Emily's jump content too)

See what's nice about Meissner is that she is a reliable skater who we can count on.

R.D.

Record Breaker
See what's nice about Meissner is that she is a reliable skater who we can count on.

And that's the real strength of the American skater. Kwan and Cohen were remarkably solid and dependable...guaranteed top 5 and in the hunt for the title. Meissner faces a tougher foreign competition IMO than either of them did but she's still holding her own out there. Still, she's only been to worlds twice (1st, 4th) so it's too soon to tell how "reliable" she really is. But I'd take her any day over any of the others. I think part of the reason BeBe, Katy and Alyssa take so much heat is that they are very inconsistent performers and do not fit the stereotype of the reliable, solid, always-in-the-mix American skater. Hopefully someone can follow in Kimmie's footsteps.

bekalc

Record Breaker
And that's the real strength of the American skater. Kwan and Cohen were remarkably solid and dependable...guaranteed top 5 and in the hunt for the title. Meissner faces a tougher foreign competition IMO than either of them did but she's still holding her own out there. Still, she's only been to worlds twice (1st, 4th) so it's too soon to tell how "reliable" she really is. But I'd take her any day over any of the others. I think part of the reason BeBe, Katy and Alyssa take so much heat is that they are very inconsistent performers and do not fit the stereotype of the reliable, solid, always-in-the-mix American skater. Hopefully someone can follow in Kimmie's footsteps.

She's reliable enough that we can count on a top 10 finish from her. Asking poor Kimmie for more than 4th, is asking quite a lot given the level of competition. It was Kimmie who was the real hero last year at worlds. And honestly, I think that sadly a lot of people still appreciate Alissa more. Alissa is very beautiful and seems like a nice girl...But well...All I can say is that people complain about Sasha. Sure if I'm going to a show, I'd rather see Alissa (only if she's not jumping) but other than that...Eeek. Perhaps if we had another really solid skater to back up Meissner I'd feel differently..

Last edited:

R.D.

Record Breaker
She's reliable enough that we can count on a top 10 finish from her. Asking poor Kimmie for more than 4th, is asking quite a lot given the level of competition. It was Kimmie who was the real hero last year at worlds. And honestly, I think that sadly a lot of people still appreciate Alissa more. Alissa is very beautiful and seems like a nice girl...But well...

If we want three spots, we MUST ask Kimmie for top 5. There's no getting around that. We'd just better sit back and hope the pressure does not get to her head. One thing about Kimmie is that even under intense pressure, we haven't seen her crumble. Sure, she makes a couple mistakes in the beginning but she's tough- she rallies back.

Actually, the higher Kimmie places (and I think a realistic prediction for worlds '08 is 3rd place behind Asada and Yuna), the less pressure on the other Americans to do well. The worst case scenario (other than Meissner getting injured) is for Hughes to either not go to worlds or not make it, and Czisny once again to have a solid performance at Nats to go to the worlds. Now, the pressure is on ALYSSA to make top 10. We don't want that now, do we?

Alyssa can be nice to watch. But she's what I call a "show skater". Have her skate her routine, entertain the audience, do zero jumps. But she's too hit/miss in competition to earn a "consistent" reputation.

bekalc

Record Breaker
If we want three spots, we MUST ask Kimmie for top 5. There's no getting around that. We'd just better sit back and hope the pressure does not get to her head. One thing about Kimmie is that even under intense pressure, we haven't seen her crumble. Sure, she makes a couple mistakes in the beginning but she's tough- she rallies back.

Actually, the higher Kimmie places (and I think a realistic prediction for worlds '08 is 3rd place behind Asada and Yuna), the less pressure on the other Americans to do well. The worst case scenario (other than Meissner getting injured) is for Hughes to either not go to worlds or not make it, and Czisny once again to have a solid performance at Nats to go to the worlds. Now, the pressure is on ALYSSA to make top 10. We don't want that now, do we?

Alyssa can be nice to watch. But she's what I call a "show skater". Have her skate her routine, entertain the audience, do zero jumps. But she's too hit/miss in competition to earn a "consistent" reputation.

I think Kimmie can make top 5. Although it might be difficult because if Nakano/Kostner/Rochette have the competitions of their lives... Well...Who knows what happens then. But I think Meissner will do her best.

I like Wagner. She seems to be very reliable. And the only reason she didn't beat Emily Hughes at Canada was the PCS.... And I think a nice showing for her at Bombard will help the girl out. Along with a nice showing at Nationals.

I can't say for sure that Wagner will place top 10, but she's less likely to bomb. And she has less experience than Liang or Czisny (and more success to since she medaled at Junior Worlds and they didn't.)