Is my Matrix Supreme blade defective? | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Is my Matrix Supreme blade defective?

christy

On the Ice
Edeas are made both in Europe and now in the U.S. It's the US manufacturer that is having the issues. Since they started mass production, that's when the problems started. My pro shop is trying to get my boots exchanged but the pairs that keep coming in are defective.The new blade I bought is 9 1/4, to fit Edea. It should fit the Riesport too, but I didn't feel as comfortable in them when I tried them on. If I change brands and go to a Jackson, I'll have to buy a larger blade, and also start over again with getting used to a different style boot. I really like the Edeas, so I would like to stay with them, but get a good pair.

So are all of the Edeas sold in North America (USA and Canada) now manufactured by the US manufacturer? Also are there a number of different defects that we should be watching out for?

tstop4me

Final Flight
Country
United-States
I've heard some talk that the head of the company, David Ripp, is good, but just from calling I can tell you he is never the one answering the phone and he doesn't seem to be the one doing the work on the skates anymore.

I almost wanted to contact him to complain about my experience with Skates US. Such as how I had to pay for a mounting that felt absolutely horrible, for blades that ended up being returned anyways. Or about how Skates US sharpened the new blades and charged me $20 for it, even though I didn't ask to have my blades sharpened and I ended up paying again to have one of my sharpeners sharpen the blades better. But ultimately, I don't really know how to get in contact with him, I'd probably have to go try asking the person i'm unhappy with and ultimately I just want to eat the loss and be done with them.
Well, if you plan to stick with Edea, and if Skate US is the sole US distributor, it would be in your own best interest to escalate your issues to the owner; otherwise you're stuck. If the owner doesn't resolve your issues, you should escalate to the Edea parent company in Italy. If enough people complain, maybe they'll fix the situation at Skate US, or find another distributor. If no one complains, things will stay the same.

skatespin

On the Ice
Well, if you plan to stick with Edea, and if Skate US is the sole US distributor, it would be in your own best interest to escalate your issues to the owner; otherwise you're stuck. If the owner doesn't resolve your issues, you should escalate to the Edea parent company in Italy. If enough people complain, maybe they'll fix the situation at Skate US, or find another distributor. If no one complains, things will stay the same.

Oh I definitely had words with Skates US, it's just that like in most businesses, the higher up is more inaccessible, and I don't want to make it a full time job to track down David Ripp who may not be of any help anyways. I'm mentally in a place where I want to leave Edea and I've been tracking down Risport. Edea has expanded their production and presence in the US in the past few years, but it is my prediction that they either will start to or already have started to decline. I have already seen it in my own area with people moving to other brands from Edea as they encounter pain, foot problems, fit problems, and quality issues, none of which is helped by the fact that good skate technicians who can shape and modify Edeas are in limited supply in most areas.

I by no means am someone that hates Edeas, it's just that in my experience with Ice Flys they always caused pain in the heel and ball of my foot, but I liked how the shape was modifiable and how light they were. The Edea Ice Fly really did revolutionize how figure skates are made, but now other brands are starting to catch up by offering boots that are not made out of leather, are lighter, and are shape-able to some extent. And now that Edea no longer seems to be of the same quality, never created a boot that was suited to people with high arches (instead just created the Piano which is basically a stiffer Ice Fly), and this experience with Skates US i'm kinda over Edeas.

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Oh I definitely had words with Skates US, it's just that like in most businesses, the higher up is more inaccessible, and I don't want to make it a full time job to track down David Ripp who may not be of any help anyways. I'm mentally in a place where I want to leave Edea and I've been tracking down Risport. Edea has expanded their production and presence in the US in the past few years, but it is my prediction that they either will start to or already have started to decline. I have already seen it in my own area with people moving to other brands from Edea as they encounter pain, foot problems, fit problems, and quality issues, none of which is helped by the fact that good skate technicians who can shape and modify Edeas are in limited supply in most areas.

I by no means am someone that hates Edeas, it's just that in my experience with Ice Flys they always caused pain in the heel and ball of my foot, but I liked how the shape was modifiable and how light they were. The Edea Ice Fly really did revolutionize how figure skates are made, but now other brands are starting to catch up by offering boots that are not made out of leather, are lighter, and are shape-able to some extent. And now that Edea no longer seems to be of the same quality, never created a boot that was suited to people with high arches (instead just created the Piano which is basically a stiffer Ice Fly), and this experience with Skates US i'm kinda over Edeas.

That's really frustrating.

Have you considered Royal Exclusive model from Risport? They are similar to Edea's with the materials. I've worn Risports and have a very high arch and had no problems with pain and loved them so much. Just something to think about.

skatespin

On the Ice
That's really frustrating.

Have you considered Royal Exclusive model from Risport? They are similar to Edea's with the materials. I've worn Risports and have a very high arch and had no problems with pain and loved them so much. Just something to think about.

I’ve actually been looking at the Royal Elite and the RF 1 exclusive. I’m trying to see if I️ can get some to try on, I’m not sure how to decide which model would be better via just the internet. Apparently the Royal exclusive isn’t sold in the US, but the royal elite and RF 1 exclusive uppers are made out of material that is not leather (similar to the edea).

Ic3Rabbit

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
I’ve actually been looking at the Royal Elite and the RF 1 exclusive. I’m trying to see if I️ can get some to try on, I’m not sure how to decide which model would be better via just the internet. Apparently the Royal exclusive isn’t sold in the US, but the royal elite and RF 1 exclusive uppers are made out of material that is not leather (similar to the edea).

The liners are microfiber with aloe. The Uppers are microfiber.

Tayrayza

Spectator
I've been considering all of your advice. I sent an email to Skates US, and in the meantime have looked at the Risport on their website. Do you know if the Royal Pro is sold in the U.S.? That model seems like the best choice for me. Also, what do any of you know about how Risport fits in the toe box and the heel?

Ic3Rabbit

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
I've been considering all of your advice. I sent an email to Skates US, and in the meantime have looked at the Risport on their website. Do you know if the Royal Pro is sold in the U.S.? That model seems like the best choice for me. Also, what do any of you know about how Risport fits in the toe box and the heel?
Yes it should be sold at various dealers in the US. Depending on thr sizing you get the toe box should be fine they have widths to fit more narrow toebox as well as ones to fit wider(the latter being my own case).

Sibelius

On the Ice
Hey, it worked anyway. No affiliation, was poking around considering next boots for my daughter and was considering Risport as well. All up to the fitter and coach at this point for us. Proper fit is everything for us now.

Ic3Rabbit

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
There are 4 Risport certified dealers that I know of in North America. One in Miami, one in Liverpool New York, one in Stoughton, MA, and one in Markam Ontario Canada. I'm in the US and never had a problem getting mine.

I would go with a certified dealer at this point and avoid another SkatesUS type issue.

Sibelius

On the Ice
I've asked Risport if they will have a rep. at Nationals in San Jose next month (local for us), we're hoping to try on as many boots as possible then just to see if there's something that fits her feet better than Jackson. She's perfectly happy for now, but Axel prep is approaching soon. Edeas are out according to her coach. She likes the looks of the Risport, she's 9 and already a shoe girl!

Ic3Rabbit

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
I've asked Risport if they will have a rep. at Nationals in San Jose next month (local for us), we're hoping to try on as many boots as possible then just to see if there's something that fits her feet better than Jackson. She's perfectly happy for now, but Axel prep is approaching soon. Edeas are out according to her coach. She likes the looks of the Risport, she's 9 and already a shoe girl!
:agree: