Is there an active skater right now that can/will land a quintuple in their career? | Page 4 | Golden Skate

Is there an active skater right now that can/will land a quintuple in their career?

BlissfulSynergy

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
BTW, Button also landed the first double axel in 1948. The first male skater to land a successful 3-axel in competition was Vern Taylor, of Canada, in 1978.
So doing the math, it's taken 44 years from a 3-axel to a quad-axel being successfully landed. And 75 years from the double-axel to the quad-axel. Let's also wait to see if Ilia will cleanly land the quad-axel in competition this fall. I believe he can, since he's landing them so well in practice. Still, it doesn't truly count until he lands it in competition.

kolyadafan2002

Fan of Kolyada
Final Flight
If Ilia is doing anything regarding quints, he's just experimenting and playing around. He's not seriously focused on quints. Like Nathan Chen said, "It's not worth it right now." At this point, it's not even viable. Again, walk before running, i.e., Ilia and many other men need to be enhancing their blade skills, polishing the finer aspects of their skating, and being more focused on consistently developing all of the quad jumps, without losing focus on being fully rounded as a skater.
True.
Its also worth noting that his landing 4A on the first day of training it is a semi-myth, he'd been trying random 4A and playing around with it quite a bit before without training seriously. Probably doing the same with quint rn

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
So doing the math, it's taken 44 years from a 3-axel to a quad-axel being successfully landed. And 75 years from the double-axel to the quad-axel. Let's also wait to see if Ilia will cleanly land the quad-axel in competition this fall. I believe he can, since he's landing them so well in practice. Still, it doesn't truly count until he lands it in competition.
True that it doesn't count in ISU records but the video evidence is there and we can still see it with our two eyes.

Just like how even though Vern Taylor is credited with the first triple axel in 1978, David Jenkins definitely landed it beforehand over 20 years earlier: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w2unFSmlNjI

Amei

Record Breaker
As we've seen countless times in skating, a jump is landed that seems so other worldly that it seems like skating has reached its ceiling. Then the rest of the field catches up, and in a couple seasons, it becomes a completely common part of someones technical content. This has happened with triple jumps, triple axels, quad toes/salchows, then the more difficult quads. And now with Ilia seeming to get a solid quad axel ready for competition, I'm sure we're only a few years out from having a half dozen guys all have a quad axel in their arsenal.

It feels like the next step in skating is the quint. I'm not a skater, but I have read other's opinions that the quintuple is physically impossible. But these things were also said for the quad axel, quad lutz, and quads in general for ladies. So assuming its possible, is there a skater out there that you believe will be the first to land the quint?

I think Ilia Malinin could do it, the consistent height he gets on his quad axel is crazy and that's without the assist of a toe-pick to vault him in the air. A non-axel quint is only a half revolution more than what he's doing on the quad axel so it doesn't seem that out of reach for him to add a half-revolution to 1 of his quads.

Question: the ISU currently doesn't have a BV for a quint jump. Let's say Ilia or someone else (though he seems the most likely IMO) does throw a quint at an ISU-sanctioned competition how would scoring the jump work? Would they default to the BV of the quad counterpart for the quint or would it be called an invalid element?

BlissfulSynergy

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Then the rest of the field catches up, and in a couple seasons, it becomes a completely common part of someones technical content.
No, to the thread question. Plus, your above statement is overly simplistic and inaccurate. Look at the history of quad jump development. In no way does it take "a couple of seasons" for other skaters to "catch up" to the skater largely credited for the breakthrough. In any case, the one skater credited doesn't deserve all the credit. In the case of quads, numerous pioneering men were responsible for what Kurt Browning is given credit for achieving, and for what Patrick Chan is generally given credit for advancing. Then, of course, Nathan Chen blew multiple quads out of the ice, and the sport's lame-minded honchos finally adjusted quad values and changed the rules to avoid losing control over judging outcomes. LOL!

As well, Ilia Malinin, successfully landed the first quad-axel, but he's been the first to acknowledge that he was inspired by Yuzuru Hanyu, et al. Meanwhile, Hanyu was stoked and pushed by Nathan Chen's amazing feats. In turn, Nathan was inspired by Boyang Jin taking the senior division by storm with his quad-lutz/ triple combo, and so on, and so on...

Even the skaters who advance breakthroughs can regress and go through ups-and-downs! It definitely does NOT take "a couple of seasons" for other skaters to "catch up." It takes a very long time for the entire sport to adjust.