Issues with Blade or blade mount or just can't handle my rocker? | Golden Skate

Issues with Blade or blade mount or just can't handle my rocker?

AMeesk8911

Rinkside
Country
United-States
Help!! I'm an adult skater. I purchased new boots and blades (Riedell Bronze star and MK Pro) a while ago. Did not immediately transition to them as my coach though it was too close to a competition. I could barely skate in them at all when I got them, especially when skating backwards it felt like someone was trying to push me over suddenly from behind so that I would sail over my toes. The pro shop told me I probably just needed to get used to the rocker as my old blades were quite old and didn't have much of a rocker left at all. I had basic single jumps, and had just started managing a camel and broken leg spin before these skates. I have lost ALL my jumps and spins. I read a comment on the previous thread about adjusting blades/blade mounts describing this phenomenon, "If one of the blades decides it's going to take a dive underneath" and wondering if this is my problem. I have tried to explain to many people what happens, but this is the closest I have come to someone else describing what it feels like. Especially on my left skate going into spins or on a landing-the blade just whips out from under me. It's gotten a bit better as the boots have broken in, but still no jumps or spins. I can't imagine I am still just getting used to the rocker at this point. Wondering if anyone thinks adjusting the blades would help the problem. Or maybe just trying another type of blade? Any advice or help would be greatly appreciated!

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Help!! I'm an adult skater. I purchased new boots and blades (Riedell Bronze star and MK Pro) a while ago. Did not immediately transition to them as my coach though it was too close to a competition. I could barely skate in them at all when I got them, especially when skating backwards it felt like someone was trying to push me over suddenly from behind so that I would sail over my toes. The pro shop told me I probably just needed to get used to the rocker as my old blades were quite old and didn't have much of a rocker left at all. I had basic single jumps, and had just started managing a camel and broken leg spin before these skates. I have lost ALL my jumps and spins. I read a comment on the previous thread about adjusting blades/blade mounts describing this phenomenon, "If one of the blades decides it's going to take a dive underneath" and wondering if this is my problem. I have tried to explain to many people what happens, but this is the closest I have come to someone else describing what it feels like. Especially on my left skate going into spins or on a landing-the blade just whips out from under me. It's gotten a bit better as the boots have broken in, but still no jumps or spins. I can't imagine I am still just getting used to the rocker at this point. Wondering if anyone thinks adjusting the blades would help the problem. Or maybe just trying another type of blade? Any advice or help would be greatly appreciated!
There are possibly two things going on here. One: You need to get your tech to look at you skating on the blades for them to make an adjustment because it seems like your blades aren't mounted correctly for you. Two: You need to get used to a new blade, which is better and has more rocker and proper edges.

Good luck! :)

Last edited:

WednesdayMarch

Nicer When Fed
Medalist
Country
United-Kingdom
That was me with the explanation in the previous thread. Have you tried skating forwards, just gliding on the flat of the blades, with the feet touching? If one of the blades tries to take a dive underneath from that position, you definitely have trouble. Try that first and I would recommend getting a tech to watch you do it, along with the other things that are causing you problems. It does sound like you have more going on than just getting used to a new blade with a decent rocker and edges.

Good luck!

AMeesk8911

Rinkside
Country
United-States
There are possibly two things going on here. One: You need to get your tech to look at you skating on the blades for them to make an adjustment because it seems like your blades aren't mounted correctly for you. Two: You need to get used to a new blade, which is better and has more rocker and proper edges.

Good luck! :)

AMeesk8911

Rinkside
Country
United-States
Thanks so much! I hate to go in on the techs when it's operator error, but I've definitely given it more than the old college try on my own. Will definitely ask someone to watch it rather than me trying to explain it. I'm sure it's largely still me (with a heaping helping of fear thrown in) Really appreciate the advice!!

AMeesk8911

Rinkside
Country
United-States
That was me with the explanation in the previous thread. Have you tried skating forwards, just gliding on the flat of the blades, with the feet touching? If one of the blades tries to take a dive underneath from that position, you definitely have trouble. Try that first and I would recommend getting a tech to watch you do it, along with the other things that are causing you problems. It does sound like you have more going on than just getting used to a new blade with a decent rocker and edges.

Good luck!
Thank you! I have not tried it with both feet touching, but I definitely will! Two feet forward not touching doesn't present any obvious problems, or one foot glide. Appreciate the help, your previous comment gave me a glimmer of hope!!

MCsAngel2

On the Ice
What blades were you skating on before, and how long now have you been skating on the MK Pros?

AMeesk8911

Rinkside
Country
United-States
My old ones were eclipse blades. I got the MK pros a while ago, but initially I would go back and forth between my old skates and those. I was advised against that-so I dove into them in earnest a couple months before coronavirus started. So lots of interruptions in there. But I would say at least 6 months of trying to get used to them. I don't notice some of the things I did at first (like they initially felt crazy heavy) I do prefer the edges to my old ones-that's most of what I work on these days.

MCsAngel2

On the Ice
To be clear, it sounds like you are saying the issue is your balance front-to-back, and not side to side? You are not having issues with your outside (or inside) edges?

Are the MK Pros mounted where the front point of the blade is flush with the edge of the boot, there is no extra space in front? (space behind the back end of the blade and the edge of the heel is okay if it's not too much). It almost sounds like the spin rocker is not in the right place, like it's too far back.

I know it takes longer to get used to new boots AND blades if you replace both at the same time - especially if it's a totally different boot (different maker or different line) than you had before, but 6 months does seem excessive for someone at your level. How did you get fitted for these new boots? Were you measured by an experienced figure skate fitter? (not by someone who mostly sells hockey skates at a rink pro shop). Is there a chance that your boots are the wrong size? That maybe they were sized up to fit comfortably width wise but the boots are the wrong length? I would expect a Riedell to be a size and a half smaller than your street shoe size to be correct. If the boot is the wrong size, if it's too long for your foot, that would also cause your issue because your foot will not line up correctly over the blade.

AMeesk8911

Rinkside
Country
United-States
Definitely front to back-feels pretty secure side to side, edges feel easier than in my previous skates.

Just checked and the right blade feels flush with the front of the boot, but the left is definitely farther back. The boots themselves are on the smaller size. (And with all that padding I can barely get them on sometimes) It does sometimes feel like my arch is hitting in the wrong spot, especially on the left. And they both pull up and down a bit. I do a lot of stomping and squats to get my heel to feel in the right spot.

MCsAngel2

On the Ice
Blades are meant to be mounted with the front tip being even with the front of the boot, like in reply #5 in this thread:

And then underneath that pic you can see how there is some space behind the end of the blade. That's okay. If your blades aren't mounted as flush with the front of your boot, that's at least part of your issue.

Is your boot size one to one and a half sizes smaller than your street shoe size? Even a half size too long can make a difference. It is a common mistake for people to keep sizing up boots until they fit width wise, but that is a mistake. You need both the right size and the right width of boot. I wear a 7.5 street shoe, regular width, but my skates are size 6 EE, which is 4 widths wider than normal.

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
My old ones were eclipse blades. I got the MK pros a while ago, but initially I would go back and forth between my old skates and those. I was advised against that-so I dove into them in earnest a couple months before coronavirus started. So lots of interruptions in there. But I would say at least 6 months of trying to get used to them. I don't notice some of the things I did at first (like they initially felt crazy heavy) I do prefer the edges to my old ones-that's most of what I work on these days.
Eclipse blades have much flatter rockers than MK or John Wilson. So that is probably part of your problem, teamed with it being so worn that there was absolutely NO rocker at that point.

AMeesk8911

Rinkside
Country
United-States
Yes, I think so too. Practically no rocker on the old skates, and looking at the left skate on those, I can look down and see the metal plate in front. On the current ones it is under the sole. Also think I had a tendency to spin towards my toes, like on half pointe. The right skate is flush like in the photo.

I really appreciate all your wisdom and ideas. I can go into the tech with some concrete ideas and potential concerns. Thank you both so much!

AMeesk8911

Rinkside
Country
United-States
Update! Just wanted to thank you all again so much for your expertise. We ended up making a tiny adjustment to make the left blade flush and did another "bake" to try to help any potential boot issues. Not a night and day "Eureka" change, but bought me enough time before any "whipping out" to try to find the spin rocker/control it. Actually managed a microscopic half loop/sal a few times and, I don't know what you call it, a single swizzle, bunny hop, three turn entry into a toe loop sequence (from my first ever program which I still couldn't come close to skating!) Oh well, long road but there's a light at the end of the tunnel. As the old country song goes, "Let's hope it ain't no train" Truly can't thank you all enough for helping an amateur out. Mille Grazie!!

Matthew

On the Ice
Hi, I'm not such an expert as the other people contributing here, but just wanted to say that I have made some similar experience like you: began to skate for four months and learned quite a lot quite fast, then, in my case, I got a sharpening of my blades - and all was gone, I slided on them, had no edge grip any more. It was terrible. I also tried to explain others what had happened to me, but it's difficult to do this. Finally, a certain shop with an owner being an expert in figure skating blade sharpening was recommended to me. He made some small, but very good adjustments to my blades, but the grip feeling didn't change much. Today, I think that the guy who mounted my first blades didn't sharpen them at all, so, I used them being as they came from the factory. Blades coming from the factory are apparently very grippy and shouldn't be used without an actual first normal sharpening, but that is what I got without knowing. With time, I learned to use the sharpened blades. But you see how important the state of you equipment is. :)