ISU Announces 2024-25 Challenger Series 2024/25 | Page 3 | Golden Skate

ISU Announces 2024-25 Challenger Series 2024/25

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
------------

In the end, all of this is the result of a free market economy (i.e. capitalism) and the ISU like any other organisation has to make money somehow. Idealism is commendable, and we need it to develop in the right direction, but we also have to be realistic. Some things just are not possible if you have to cover your costs somehow.
And yes, thinking of the future and how to build a consumer base in the future is incredibly important, but bills also have to be paid in the present, so a balance has to be found somehow.
At this point, there is something that needs to be said. Developing your costumer base is crucial, fair enough... but when things are not doing well, you need to first and foremost, save what you have. Skaters from some nations cannot go to European challengers because their feds are not wealthy enough to send them...It means, that in one of the big feds, with a large number of women competitors who are equally talented than many I have seen yesterday at worlds (meaning they got their tech minimums somehow) , only one managed to earn her tech scores... It means that with this lack of opportunities, these women are reconsidering their investment (not just money) in the sport. The ISU needs to recognize the problem faced by skaters from North America and simply do better than that. It may look fancy to have two GPs but other competitions are very rare... Yes, worlds, but again, skaters need to qualify and there are quotas... There is absolutely no development circuit in North America that has an international context. Many small local summer events. Talking of which, CQÉ, considering the IAM contribution could have better line-ups than many challengers. The ISU needs to either find a way to provide more financial support or they need to change the structure of their series completely. I believe that the first is easier to achieve.

Jumping_Bean

Record Breaker
At this point, there is something that needs to be said. Developing your costumer base is crucial, fair enough... but when things are not doing well, you need to first and foremost, save what you have. Skaters from some nations cannot go to European challengers because their feds are not wealthy enough to send them...It means, that in one of the big feds, with a large number of women competitors who are equally talented than many I have seen yesterday at worlds (meaning they got their tech minimums somehow) , only one managed to earn her tech scores... It means that with this lack of opportunities, these women are reconsidering their investment (not just money) in the sport. The ISU needs to recognize the problem faced by skaters from North America and simply do better than that. It may look fancy to have two GPs but other competitions are very rare... Yes, worlds, but again, skaters need to qualify and there are quotas... There is absolutely no development circuit in North America that has an international context. Many small local summer events. Talking of which, CQÉ, considering the IAM contribution could have better line-ups than many challengers. The ISU needs to either find a way to provide more financial support or they need to change the structure of their series completely. I believe that the first is easier to achieve.
The thing is, I don't think money alone is the problem, though it is definitely a significant factor. Even in years when Skate Canada hosted the Autumn Classic Challenger, they rarely ever had a full set (3 entries in all disciplines) of Canadian entries. I also can't imagine holding CQE as a Senior B/Junior B in at least Ice Dance would be so much more expensive than holding it as a domestic competition, but so far it doesn't seem like this is something Skate Canada is interested in (even though it would be a great opportunity for the Canadian Dancers too).

I've even heard of situations where skaters were willing and able to pay for everything themselves, but their federations still wouldn't allow them to compete in all (or even any) international competitions they applied for, and I honestly don't know what can be done to stop situations like that from happening again in the future - Because at that point it definitely is no longer about the money.

TT_Fin

The second worst besserwisser in the world
Record Breaker
Country
Finland
I think the main reason Finland wants to organize only one event is that they did not sell enough tickets and they try to concentrate to one. There is no lack of arenas - just maybe lack of ice time because of hockey and synchro. At GP 2022 they sold tickets to both ice level and balcony, but closed balcony because there was enough seats at ice level. At Euros it happened again at weekdays, but at weekend the balcony was also open. The prices were too high and people like me who do not live nearby need to also buy travelling tickets and hotel room and hotels are expensive here. I am not rich, but I and my husband have good jobs so I can afford to go sometimes, but not often.

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
ISU Communication

Challenger Series Figure Skating 2024/25
The Council confirmed the following Challenger Series Figure Skating calendar for the season 2024/25:

Cranberry Cup, John Nicks Paris Challenge, Trophy Métropole Nice Côte d’Azur and Tallinn Trophy are new to the Challenger Series.
Just a note that the Tallin Trophy is not new. This will be their fifth event :)

It won't be the first time there have been more than 10 events. Hope none are cancelled!

saine

Medalist
Country
Canada
The thing is, I don't think money alone is the problem, though it is definitely a significant factor. Even in years when Skate Canada hosted the Autumn Classic Challenger, they rarely ever had a full set (3 entries in all disciplines) of Canadian entries. I also can't imagine holding CQE as a Senior B/Junior B in at least Ice Dance would be so much more expensive than holding it as a domestic competition, but so far it doesn't seem like this is something Skate Canada is interested in (even though it would be a great opportunity for the Canadian Dancers too).

I've even heard of situations where skaters were willing and able to pay for everything themselves, but their federations still wouldn't allow them to compete in all (or even any) international competitions they applied for, and I honestly don't know what can be done to stop situations like that from happening again in the future - Because at that point it definitely is no longer about the money.
I've been thinking about this since geography isn't always the issue with Skate Canada, like with Autumn Classic. I saw this article about Canada Soccer's financial issues. This part struck me (about bonuses for winning games):

“We would be looking at far more than $1 million in costs if Canada makes the Copa and gets at least a few wins,” the source said. “The uncomfortable truth is, the better our players do on the pitch right now, the worse financially it is for the federation, which is running on fumes right now.”
Skate Canada does have grants for international competitions (here). Podium finish is $2000. So looking at ACI this season, there were 2 pairs, 2 women and 1 man on the podium. $10,000 for one competition where there wouldn't be the travel costs, not including the grants for the skaters based on where they placed. I'm wondering if that has to factor into international assignments for Skate Canada at least.