ISU World Team Trophy-Opinions? | Page 2 | Golden Skate

ISU World Team Trophy-Opinions?

I agree - it would be better to change locations.
Someone has to put up the money. At present, only the Japanese teleivion network and its sponsors are willing to do so.

In the U.S., former big money players like Marshall's department stores and Campbell's soup have opted out of figure skating shows.
Joesitz said:
Now, guess who will travel to Japan from Europe and N.America, and at whose expense?
The answers to these questions are spelled out in this document:

http://isu.sportcentric.net/db//files/serve.php?id=911

The Japanese Skating Federation will pay all expenses, including air fare, meals and lodging, to all skaters, judges, officials, etc., and also to two additional “team leaders” (coaches, etc.) from each country. (Apparently it is up to the JSF to make its own deal with Japanese TV and commercial sponsors in Japan.)

The document also specifies that the JSF will pay the prize money to the member federation, which will then disburse it to the skaters, after deducting whatever taxes, fees, etc., are required by law in each country. However, the federation will not be allowed to keep an “arbitrary lump sum” of the skaters’ money, as the Russian Federation used to do routinely. :cool: There was one famous scandal in which Maria Butyrskaya lost all her money because the Russian bank which was holding it for the Russian federation mysteriously went bankrupt.

Also, if a country qualifies but then their top skaters pull out (this means the highest finishers at Worlds, the Grand Prix, etc.), the ISU may disqualify the team and send another country’s team instead.

An individual skater can decline to skate only for reasons of injury. If a skater does withdraw, he/she cannot skate in any show, competition or exhibition between Worlds and April 26.

Last edited:

alicelouise

Rinkside
Isu Teams-which would do best?

So which team would be battling for the medals? Based on the 2008 Worlds, I would say Japan and Canada would be battling for the Gold. The US, Russia, and China going for Silver/Bronze.

The key will be consistency. The steady skaters be put in the Long; as an example.

So which team would be battling for the medals? Based on the 2008 Worlds, I would say Japan and Canada would be battling for the Gold. The US, Russia, and China going for Silver/Bronze.

The key will be consistency. The steady skaters be put in the Long; as an example.
I think all skaters will do both a short and a long (OD and FD for dance teams).

The way the scoring goes, a team won't be overpenalized if they have a weak pairs or dance team. For singles, you get 12 points for first, 11 for second, on down to 1 for last place. For pairs and dance it also starts at 12, but the last place team still gets 7 points just for showing up.

I just did a mock competition, using the results of 2008 Worlds for scoring. I used ChuckM's analysis of Japan, USA, Canada, Russia, France and Italy as the most likely qualifiers.

Canada

Rochette and Leung = 18
Buttle and Chan = 18
Dube and Davison = 12
Virtue and Moir = 11

Total = 55

Japan

Asada and Nakano = 22
Takahashi and Kozuka = 16
Nobody and Nobody = 7
Reed and Reed = 7

Total = 52

U.S.A.

Meissner and Liang = 15
Weir and Carriere = 15
Inoue and Baldwin = 10
Belbin and Agosto = 9

Total = 49

Italy :rock:

Kostner and Marchei = 17
Zelenka and Nobody = 5.5
Magitteri and Hotarek = 9
Faiella and Scali = 8

Total = 39.5

France

Didier and Nobody = 4.5
Joubert and Ponsero = 14
Canac and Coia = 8
Delobel and Schienfelder = 12

Total = 38.5

Russia

Doromina and Nobody = 5.5
Voronov and Nobody = 9.5
Kawaguchi and Smirnov = 11
Khokhlova and Novitski = 10

Total = 36

Last edited:

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
A number of the US juniors might be sent--so the ladies should be higher than what Meissner & Liang produced. And McLaughlin and Brubaker would likely be higher than I&B. Plus Evan would be there...

Perhaps the US could pull off 2nd...

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
I look at this event as taking the place of the season's end cheesefest. The skaters have some fun and make some money, the public gets to see some good skating. I don't see any down side at all.

Very well said, Mathman!!!