Jackson Debut Flex Notch Crease...broken down or broken in? | Golden Skate

Jackson Debut Flex Notch Crease...broken down or broken in?

Susanmadz

Spectator
Hi there, looking for help for my daughter please. She is a 14 year old petite slim advanced novice skater who seems to be breaking down the Jackson Debut skates that she has and is now on her second pair since May last year. The most recent pair purchased in January afree being told the first pair belonged to an dodgy batch and now look like the pic I have attached?

Apparently she has a strong knee and ankle bend. She told me last week that she feels the same is happening to this boot and she is really worried about the "crease" although on feeling them they still feel quite stiff and do not bend easily anywhere else other than this part of the boot? The flex notch allows a crease I believe but she's now not sure if this is part of the normal range of the skate or it's breaking down?

We are going to visit Als (we are based in Scotland) in a couple of weeks as she feels she would like a strong skate that doesn't crease, Ice Flys have been mentioned but she is willing to try other brands too.

Any advice recommendations welcome!

Thanks in advance x

MCsAngel2

On the Ice
That definitely does not look right.

When you say she's an advance Novice, do you mean she's actual Novice in official skating levels? (Pre-pre, preliminary, pre-juv, Juvenile, Intermediate, Novice, Junior, Senior) This is important to understand what level of skills she's doing.

Was she professionally measured and fitted for these boots? Has she had Jacksons before that she didn't have issues with? Are these a size and a half smaller than her street shoe size?

It may just be that she needs stronger boots than Debuts. Debuts are a 50 but Premieres are a 65 support rating.

Susanmadz

Spectator

When you say she's an advance Novice, do you mean she's actual Novice in official skating levels? (Pre-pre, preliminary, pre-juv, Juvenile, Intermediate, Novice, Junior, Senior) This is important to understand what level of skills she's doing.

Was she professionally measured and fitted for these boots? Has she had Jacksons before that she didn't have issues with? Are these a size and a half smaller than her street shoe size?

It may just be that she needs stronger boots than Debuts. Debuts are a 50 but Premieres are a 65 support rating.

Yeah so in UK she's a novice skater the level below junior.

Was measured in a skate shop for them a year ago so when other pair broke down quickly we just ordered the same size.

She loves the boot but obviously when it starts to crease this is what she doesn't like!

WednesdayMarch

Nicer When Fed
Medalist
Country
United-Kingdom
If she loves the boot but it's breaking down too quickly, then the obvious move would be to stay in Jackson but switch up to a stronger boot. And if she's doing that to Debut in the space of a few months, then I'd be looking at putting her in something higher than Premiere. Alison Holden will help you with that and she's the one you need to see.

Susanmadz

Spectator
If she loves the boot but it's breaking down too quickly, then the obvious move would be to stay in Jackson but switch up to a stronger boot. And if she's doing that to Debut in the space of a few months, then I'd be looking at putting her in something higher than Premiere. Alison Holden will help you with that and she's the one you need to see.
Thanks that's very helpful, she's really looking forward to going down and visiting Alison now.

tstop4me

Final Flight
Country
United-States
Was measured in a skate shop for them a year ago so when other pair broke down quickly we just ordered the same size.
Just curious. After the first pair broke down so quickly, and you returned for a second pair, the fitter didn't recommend an upgrade to a stiffer boot at that time? Why was there an expectation that a second pair of the same boot would last longer?

Susanmadz

Spectator
Just curious. After the first pair broke down so quickly, and you returned for a second pair, the fitter didn't recommend an upgrade to a stiffer boot at that time? Why was there an expectation that a second pair of the same boot would last longer?
The store had actually closed. We spoke to a coach who actually had had the same happen to one of his skaters and thought it was a bad batch and to try her in them again as she was so petite he didn't think she should be breaking boots like that, I just tee ordered the same size again.

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
She's definitely breaking them down due to strong knee/ankle bend. Look into Jackson Synergy Pro or Supreme 5300. I would not look at Edea due to her fitting Jacksons means she more than likely won't fit Edea properly and IDK how she would like the looser feel of the ankles on that, especially with the strong knee/ankle bend.

Susanmadz

Spectator
I would get her remeasured by an experienced tech, just to be sure. Breaking down prematurely like this is usually a sign that the boots are too big.
Already from photos/measurements I've sent Alison has identified that she's in a half size too big. Really looking forward to going on Saturday now 👍🏻