Jackson's Fit Well But Not Enough Ankle Padding | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Jackson's Fit Well But Not Enough Ankle Padding

gliese

Final Flight
Country
United-States
Is Edea one of those brands that’s difficult to work with or something? I’ve heard of people not liking to work with Edea before.
They are extremely different from any other boot. For one, they cannot be heat molded and don't change shape when they break in (which I like as my skates have a tendency to loosen around the heel). A tech that hasn't worked with Edea for years will likely not be able to mold them to the liking of an elite skater. I'm very lucky to have the tech I do have because otherwise I'd have a mild slipping heel and mild arch pain (from Edea pre-molding) or tendonitis (any other boot brand no matter what I do to it).

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Yep. When I was a kid, 3-4, my parents signed me up for lessons as Wollman Rink in NYC. I still remember getting my Snowplow Sam badges :ROFLMAO:
Yes, but did you continue from there and make it a large part of your life?

Elija

On the Ice
God people are so much more over judgmental about Edea overbooting. I prefer stiffer boots so when I landed my first triple and needed new skates, I switched to a Piano and I'll tell you, the amount of people mad at me for "overbooting" or "doing it for the sparkles" made me want to scream. I'm back in Ice Fly due to a break from skating from an injury and losing jumps, but I'll probably switch back once I get my triples because I liked that boot, it was a good boot.
Argh totally agree. And how is wearing pianos when you’re learning triples overbooking?? It isn’t at all. I also don’t understand the focus a lot of people have on when someone ‘can’ wear a concerto, ice fly, or piano. These boots are all a very similar stiffness (only 5% or so difference from one to the next), and feel similar in terms of stiffness. I actually think concertos feel a little stiffer due to the more traditional construction than ice fly or piano. I find people chop and change between these three models depending on whether they want the lower cut back of the ice fly, tighter fit of the piano or more traditional fit of concerto. Personally I find the fits of these three boots different rather than the stiffness (there are high level skaters doing triples and quads in all three models), and you have to choose what is right for you and your feet. Wish people would stop being judgy judgy (unless it is someone literally just learning their single jumps or learning to skate, in which case I would certainly be concerned). Anyway rant over lol 😂

Edit to add: Apparently Edea is also coming out with a boot (Verve??) that is in between chorus and concerto. I think that's great, as it is definitely a gap at the moment. Chorus broke down for me in 6 months as an adult doing singles - the tongue is quite soft and my jumps are quite big. I think chorus are fine for kids learning doubles, but I certainly wouldn't feel secure in them as an adult doing doubles.

Last edited:

Sunshine247

On the Ice
I get what you are saying and I'm glad you are proud of your daughter and good for her! But please don't diss the people who started skating at 4 or a very young age, I started at 2-3 years old, and we aren't bad people just because our parents took us ice skating and we fell in love with it at that age.
Not at all what I meant. It just can be hard/discouraging for some teenagers who started late. She’s typically skating with groups of kids who started at 4 because they are her friends! lol. And the kids her age are way above her level but she stuck all the way through. The reference to doubles was was more a comment of how far into skating she’s worked and not gotten discouraged. And because she actually needs the Ice flys due to size, weight, height etc. It seemed like the fact I was carrying ice flys triggered the mom to brag about her daughters skates. And it seemed about the skates and not the skater.....

So, not hating on skaters who were lucky to start early. That’s completely the opposite of our opinion as a family. We have so many friends who did. My two wish they had started earlier. And.....Those skaters are usually the most friendly, welcoming, humble people of all. They understand the struggle and commitment. My comments just got jumbled up as a run on thought, but they weren’t connected to the mom who got triggered.

Ic3Rabbit

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Argh totally agree. And how is wearing pianos when you’re learning triples overbooking?? It isn’t at all. I also don’t understand the focus a lot of people have on when someone ‘can’ wear a concerto, ice fly, or piano. These boots are all a very similar stiffness (only 5% or so difference from one to the next), and feel similar in terms of stiffness. I actually think concertos feel a little stiffer due to the more traditional construction than ice fly or piano. I find people chop and change between these three models depending on whether they want the lower cut back of the ice fly, tighter fit of the piano or more traditional fit of concerto. Personally I find the fits of these three boots different rather than the stiffness (there are high level skaters doing triples and quads in all three models), and you have to choose what is right for you and your feet. Wish people would stop being judgy judgy (unless it is someone literally just learning their single jumps or learning to skate, in which case I would certainly be concerned). Anyway rant over lol 😂

Edit to add: Apparently Edea is also coming out with a boot (Verve??) that is in between chorus and concerto. I think that's great, as it is definitely a gap at the moment. Chorus broke down for me in 6 months as an adult doing singles - the tongue is quite soft and my jumps are quite big. I think chorus are fine for kids learning doubles, but I certainly wouldn't feel secure in them as an adult doing doubles.
As an adult doing singles, you really shouldn't have been in a chorus in the first place. There are so many factors to fitting for each skater and it doesn't make edeas interchangeable. The misinformation needs to stop around here.

Elija

On the Ice
As an adult doing singles, you really shouldn't have been in a chorus in the first place. There are so many factors to fitting for each skater and it doesn't make edeas interchangeable. The misinformation needs to stop around here.

agree, but I went to the only fitter in my country and that’s what they put me in. There are so many factors in finding the right boots - when I was returning to skating I wasn’t even familiar with edea as they hadn’t been around when I had skated as a teenager. So I went with what was recommended, and that was the only brand they stocked at that time. Fortunately they now have more brands, and fortunately I ended up liking edea, just not the chorus.

gliese

Final Flight
Country
United-States
Argh totally agree. And how is wearing pianos when you’re learning triples overbooking?? It isn’t at all. I also don’t understand the focus a lot of people have on when someone ‘can’ wear a concerto, ice fly, or piano. These boots are all a very similar stiffness (only 5% or so difference from one to the next), and feel similar in terms of stiffness. I actually think concertos feel a little stiffer due to the more traditional construction than ice fly or piano. I find people chop and change between these three models depending on whether they want the lower cut back of the ice fly, tighter fit of the piano or more traditional fit of concerto. [...]
I think it's honestly just because it's so easy to see the difference between who is wearing what boot. With the designs and sparkles, it's obvious what boot a skater is wearing so it's easier for people to comment.

Sibelius

On the Ice
Just got the word, back on the ice Monday at 5:30 a.m., pods, 2 hour sessions 6 days a week. It's been 4 months. I try to tell her to take it easy, but since I'm relegated to waiting in the car I get no say. It's her and the coaches time. We'll see whether her boots really do still fit now.

Sunshine247

On the Ice
Just got the word, back on the ice Monday at 5:30 a.m., pods, 2 hour sessions 6 days a week. It's been 4 months. I try to tell her to take it easy, but since I'm relegated to waiting in the car I get no say. It's her and the coaches time. We'll see whether her boots really do still fit now.
Oh my, Good luck!

Sibelius

On the Ice
I knew it, 4 months off, trying the boots on monthly, "they're fine, they're fine". 4 days on, boom, my toes are touching, and it hurts. I tried the, "it's a competitive fit, all the top skaters wear them like that..." Nope.

I was lucky to have the opportunity to get them stretched before tomorrows FS session, so she says they're a little better. The boots are synthetic, so they stretch, temporarily. Looking at our options it's:

Try a Risport and see how they fit. Confused about Royal Pro v. RF3 Pro. Risport says RP is stiffer, lots of websites say the RF3 is. Risport site says both suitable for young skaters doubles and triples.

Another Jackson Rapid Custom, Elite this time since she doesn't like the DuraGuard protection on the Premiere's, it looks like shiny old patent leather oxfords. The stock Elite now retails at $750. I guess I could bribe her to live with the DG for something less than the difference, lots of bargaining room there. Still the padding issue. Trying a new sleeve tomorrow to see if it's any better.

A Jackson Custom, which if the stock Elite is $750, I have no idea what the full custom is now.

An Sp-Teri stock, old stock, new stock isn't so great I'm told.

An Sp-Teri custom, which I'm also told isn't great these day.

I always end up having to make quick decisions. Always!

WednesdayMarch

Nicer When Fed
Medalist
Country
United-Kingdom
I knew it, 4 months off, trying the boots on monthly, "they're fine, they're fine". 4 days on, boom, my toes are touching, and it hurts. I tried the, "it's a competitive fit, all the top skaters wear them like that..." Nope.

I was lucky to have the opportunity to get them stretched before tomorrows FS session, so she says they're a little better. The boots are synthetic, so they stretch, temporarily. Looking at our options it's:

Try a Risport and see how they fit. Confused about Royal Pro v. RF3 Pro. Risport says RP is stiffer, lots of websites say the RF3 is. Risport site says both suitable for young skaters doubles and triples.

Another Jackson Rapid Custom, Elite this time since she doesn't like the DuraGuard protection on the Premiere's, it looks like shiny old patent leather oxfords. The stock Elite now retails at $750. I guess I could bribe her to live with the DG for something less than the difference, lots of bargaining room there. Still the padding issue. Trying a new sleeve tomorrow to see if it's any better.

A Jackson Custom, which if the stock Elite is $750, I have no idea what the full custom is now.

An Sp-Teri stock, old stock, new stock isn't so great I'm told.

An Sp-Teri custom, which I'm also told isn't great these day.

I always end up having to make quick decisions. Always!
On the Risport issue, I don't think there's a vast amount of difference between the stiffness of the RP and the RF3, but I'm not sure about the amount of padding inside, either. The RP is definitely a lower cut boot than the RF3.

I wear the Royal Pro and it's a fabulous boot. I really, really like it. All the padding my poor, sore, arthritic feet need and feels very stiff, which I like.

Sibelius

On the Ice
On the Risport issue, I don't think there's a vast amount of difference between the stiffness of the RP and the RF3, but I'm not sure about the amount of padding inside, either. The RP is definitely a lower cut boot than the RF3.

I wear the Royal Pro and it's a fabulous boot. I really, really like it. All the padding my poor, sore, arthritic feet need and feels very stiff, which I like.
They look very similar. In the photos I really can't tell that the cut on the RP is lower. It is beautiful!

She doubled up on her ankle gels this morning. I bought new Zen Toes malleolar sleeves for her, MUCH cheaper than Bungas ($16/ PAIR) and it seemed to help. Maybe we are out of the woods on a custom boot at least. We have a fitting tomorrow, so we'll see what he says.

Sibelius

On the Ice
Update from Monday's fitting. After stretching her Premieres fit again, so we bought a couple of months. Took the insoles out to give her more room and she hated it, so back in they went.

Looks like instead of Risport we're headed for Jackson custom. According to our boot fitter, no stock boot will have the padding she needs below her ankle bone to relieve the pressure. She's got really skinny heels and there's no fat around her ankle, so her ankle bone really protrudes. He said she needs padding that will bring everything in the same plane so the pressure isn't concentrated on the bone.

He also said that she would be much better off in a real leather boot. The plastic boots clamp like vises as opposed to molding around the foot.

So, it will be a Jackson Custom Elite at $949 to start. She's had her Premieres for a year and a half, so she's not growing as fast anymore. And the leather will take stretching much better than the microfiber Premieres. If we're lucky, we may be able to reuse the 9" Gold Seal. Ha, I never have that kind of luck. So, fitter is finding out the lead time for customs these days. We'll see what we get.

gliese

Final Flight
Country
United-States
According to our boot fitter, no stock boot will have the padding she needs below her ankle bone to relieve the pressure. She's got really skinny heels and there's no fat around her ankle, so her ankle bone really protrudes. He said she needs padding that will bring everything in the same plane so the pressure isn't concentrated on the bone.
This is the same exact problem I have and I've found that if there still is an issue when more padding is added, folding a bunga pad over the bone (or wearing two, with the second one cut in half and only over the bone) and popping out the boot as much as possible is what has helped me.

Edit: I wear Edea so popping out is permanent. Leather can be a bit finicky but for sure a better choice for the problems it seems you're having.

Sibelius

On the Ice
This is the same exact problem I have and I've found that if there still is an issue when more padding is added, folding a bunga pad over the bone (or wearing two, with the second one cut in half and only over the bone) and popping out the boot as much as possible is what has helped me.

Edit: I wear Edea so popping out is permanent. Leather can be a bit finicky but for sure a better choice for the problems it seems you're having.
Her ankle sits where it's really not possible to punch it out, we've tried and it doesn't take. She uses gels, but it's just never right. She doesn't really complain, but approaching 2A and triples I, and her coaches think, customs are required. And the boot fitter really recommended leather. He's old school and this is the first time he's said anything to us about it. I think he's adjusting his perspective as she moves up the chain in her jumps.

Ic3Rabbit

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Update from Monday's fitting. After stretching her Premieres fit again, so we bought a couple of months. Took the insoles out to give her more room and she hated it, so back in they went.

Looks like instead of Risport we're headed for Jackson custom. According to our boot fitter, no stock boot will have the padding she needs below her ankle bone to relieve the pressure. She's got really skinny heels and there's no fat around her ankle, so her ankle bone really protrudes. He said she needs padding that will bring everything in the same plane so the pressure isn't concentrated on the bone.

He also said that she would be much better off in a real leather boot. The plastic boots clamp like vises as opposed to molding around the foot.

So, it will be a Jackson Custom Elite at $949 to start. She's had her Premieres for a year and a half, so she's not growing as fast anymore. And the leather will take stretching much better than the microfiber Premieres. If we're lucky, we may be able to reuse the 9" Gold Seal. Ha, I never have that kind of luck. So, fitter is finding out the lead time for customs these days. We'll see what we get.
This is exactly what I would have suggested. If you have any specifics you need about Jackson customs, let me know since I have worn and wear one lol.

Sibelius

On the Ice
This is exactly what I would have suggested. If you have any specifics you need about Jackson customs, let me know since I have worn and wear one lol.
Thanks, I will. Our boot fitter hasn't done a full custom Jackson order before, since he had his own company for about 50 years (that was his father's before that). He's supposed to find out the specifics as to what they need. I think it's good that she's done well in the stock boots, so there's not that much that needs to be done as far as I know. I sure hope it works out.

Sibelius

On the Ice
Try a full Bunga pad until the customs arrive. The kind that are around the whole ankle. Two of them or fold them. Good luck I hope it goes well.
She uses one sleeve for her heel and slips the gels inside. I bought one with the gels already in, but she doesn't seem to care for doubling the sleeves and a sock. I've looked for sleeves with both heel and ankle protection, but can't find any. Like I've said, she doesn't complain, just deals with it.