Japan Times: Sato's commitment, Mao, Eri Nishimura, Skating Movie | Golden Skate

Japan Times: Sato's commitment, Mao, Eri Nishimura, Skating Movie

How lovely that Nobuo Sato is to be in the Hall of Fame. Even if he had done nothing more than coach his daughter Yuka, he would deserve the honor. Yuka has been one of the gems of eligible and pro skating for at least fifteen years. But this man has done far more. He's just about the Mr. Skating of Japan. Look how many top skaters he's coached at one time or another. When you think how long Fumie Suguri has been able to remain at the top, you see the benefits of a strong skating technique--and he must have had something to do with that. I'm always happy when I see him in the Kiss and Cry. Didn't realize he was coaching Nakano now. I wish he could cure her of that awful leg wrap, her one flaw.

I just watched the film trailer. I'm jealous! How come we North Americans don't get to have a skating movie? Miki looks stunning in her scene. Wonder what the movie is about, and how many other skaters appear in it.

Last edited:

aftertherain

Record Breaker
I just watched the film trailer. I'm jealous! How come we North Americans don't get to have a skating movie? Miki looks stunning in her scene. Wonder what the movie is about, and how many other skaters appear in it.

:scratch:

We had Ice Princess in 2005, Cutting Edge in 1991 (plus, it has sequels), and Blades of Glory in 2007.

Well...I mean a real skating movie, with fabulous skating, not a soap opera or a spoof. I've always yearned for the skating equivalent of the great ballet movie The Turning Point. It had two fabulous dancers as second leads--Leslie Browne and the one and only Baryshnikov (who was nominated for an Oscar--in fact I think they both were). In addition to Browne's extensive dancing in several scenes, and lots of rehearsal scenes, the film was studded with quite a few ballet programs performed by other prominent dancers. It was a love song to ballet, and I wish there were an equivalent paean to skating. Not Will Ferrell in a cat suit.

The skating movie of my dreams would star real skaters, so we don't have to film from the ankles down to show the "stunt skaters." I know that Tara and Sasha have studied acting, and so has Ilya Kulik. Surely other skaters have performance ability. After all, they emote all the time on the ice.

Phoenix347

Final Flight
Well...I mean a real skating movie, with fabulous skating, not a soap opera or a spoof. I've always yearned for the skating equivalent of the great ballet movie The Turning Point. It had two fabulous dancers as second leads--Leslie Browne and the one and only Baryshnikov (who was nominated for an Oscar--in fact I think they both were). In addition to Browne's extensive dancing in several scenes, and lots of rehearsal scenes, the film was studded with quite a few ballet programs performed by other prominent dancers. It was a love song to ballet, and I wish there were an equivalent paean to skating. Not Will Ferrell in a cat suit.

The skating movie of my dreams would star real skaters, so we don't have to film from the ankles down to show the "stunt skaters." I know that Tara and Sasha have studied acting, and so has Ilya Kulik. Surely other skaters have performance ability. After all, they emote all the time on the ice.

Hey, you forgot Sasha Cohen... after all she already had some parts in movies...

DesertRoad

Final Flight
I'm not sure how serious of a skating movie "Coach" is. It's about a 40 year old skater who wants to make a comeback and go to the Olympics, even Sasha or Kwan would've given up at that point... probably. Plus, having Miki help you with your spiral sequence is like having Caroline Zhang help you with your stroking or Stephane Lambiel help you land your 3axel.

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
How lovely that Nobuo Sato is to be in the Hall of Fame. Even if he had done nothing more than coach his daughter Yuka, he would deserve the honor. Yuka has been one of the gems of eligible and pro skating for at least fifteen years. But this man has done far more. He's just about the Mr. Skating of Japan. Look how many top skaters he's coached at one time or another. When you think how long Fumie Suguri has been able to remain at the top, you see the benefits of a strong skating technique--and he must have had something to do with that. I'm always happy when I see him in the Kiss and Cry. Didn't realize he was coaching Nakano now.

What a great honor for him. I hope he is voted in for this year! Yuka must be so proud of him, too!