Japanese Ice Shows | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Japanese Ice Shows

TallyT

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Just curious. If someone lived in Japan and was retired, how much of a pita would it be to obtain good tickets to say the top 4 shows, ride the modern train system to near the events, get a hotel, and get to the events?
I live in a country where Spokane city buses have to be checked with bed bug sniffing dogs and the train system is archaic.
Which shows? It really does depend, but I assume you are not talking about Yuzu's solo ones.

Some other shows also run a lottery, I understand from sm chatter but tickets may be available after that's finished as not all sell out in it.

LolaSkatesInJapan

♥ Kami Valieva fan ♥
Final Flight
Country
Israel
Just curious. If someone lived in Japan and was retired, how much of a pita would it be to obtain good tickets to say the top 4 shows, ride the modern train system to near the events, get a hotel, and get to the events?
I live in a country where Spokane city buses have to be checked with bed bug sniffing dogs and the train system is archaic.
I’m not retired and the only pita I know is the bread, not related to skating, but I live in Japan.

Depending on what company handles the show, they have a presale lottery, from a certain day to a certain day that you can enter. If you lose, they then have maybe a second presale period handled by ticket companies such as Pia Tickets or Lawson tickets. After all the presale chances are finished and maybe the best seats are gone, then they have the general sale, even at the date of the event at the window, if the event doesn’t say “sold our”. Tickets can be around 10.000 yen for a bad seat, 25,000 or more for a better seat. You bought the ticket;(either paid at the convenience store a got it there, or pay by card online and they send it to you, it usually has your name to discourage illegal resale, even though there are plenty of them online) then you research wheee the location of the event is and drive there at the date of it.
If the event is in another city and you’re willing to travel, then you search for hotels on booking dot com or other such websites online, make the reservation to coincide with the date of the event, plan your travel and drive there.
I don’t see how it would be different than going to an event anywhere else in the world, except for maybe the ticket sale process and companies used.

rabidline

Final Flight
The public transportation system in Japan is pretty good, if not one of the best in the world...?

Traveling costs to shows will depend on where you live. Some shows are located in more accessible areas, some more... in the middle of nowhere. But Japan's public transportation is very good so there will be a way to reach the location, either by planes, bullet trains, and/or buses. And the one good thing about the oversaturation of shows is that you can choose which show is more convenient for you to go to.

cohkaix

FS data keeper
Medalist
The public transportation system in Japan is pretty good, if not one of the best in the world...?

Traveling costs to shows will depend on where you live. Some shows are located in more accessible areas, some more... in the middle of nowhere. But Japan's public transportation is very good so there will be a way to reach the location, either by planes, bullet trains, and/or buses. And the one good thing about the oversaturation of shows is that you can choose which show is more convenient for you to go to.
I agree that traveling to shows in Japan is not really a big problem. I remember going for one of Mao Asada's previous touring shows before the COVID. Some of her touring stops were held at rinks that were literally 'in the middle of nowhere.' :wink: But the organizer of the events would be so considerate that they even arranged for buses to pick up viewers from the nearby train stations. So for those who went for the shows, they would just have to know where to catch the information (usually I got those from twitter/X).

On the other hand, since after COVID, now it has been quite difficult to get the tickets to some of the shows. And one of the reasons is that many of the formal ticketing sites (PIA, l-tickets,...etc.) are incorporating complicated processes for ticket drawing and selling, which involve validation of registration by a local cell-phone. I understand that these ticketing sites want to prevent it from the re-selling of the show tickets, but it also makes everything difficult for viewers from overseas.

rabidline

Final Flight
I agree that traveling to shows in Japan is not really a big problem. I remember going for one of Mao Asada's previous touring shows before the COVID. Some of her touring stops were held at rinks that were literally 'in the middle of nowhere.' :wink: But the organizer of the events would be so considerate that they even arranged for buses to pick up viewers from the nearby train stations. So for those who went for the shows, they would just have to know where to catch the information (usually I got those from twitter/X).
As an overseas fan I usually try to go to shows that's most convenient for transit for me, so right now it's basically anything that is close to Tokyo, Osaka and/or Nagoya since they tend to have great deals for plane tickets from my country.

But I know the "in the middle of nowhere" shows are pretty appreciated from fans who come from all around Japan. Recently Ice Explosion and Kassouya have done shows in Fukuoka and my friend who lives in Hiroshima very much appreciated that location!

TallyT

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
So for those who went for the shows, they would just have to know where to catch the information (usually I got those from twitter/X).
Japanese fans, and the English-speaking ones who can translate Japanese, are very generous with their time and help, the detailed instructions for accessing the lottery, hotels and flights and transport and meetups and everything, always seem unstinting.

LolaSkatesInJapan

♥ Kami Valieva fan ♥
Final Flight
Country
Israel
For customers interested in attending these shows from overseas, I’d think that there are agencies/businesses targeting people from overseas coming to watch shows here and organize everything from ticket purchases to accommodations and car rentals/driver to the location etc, since as mentioned above, these ticket companies do want a domestic address, a domestic phone number and for the payment you either pay at convenience stores here or by card, and I wonder if they’d accept a non Japanese card since the billing address wouldn’t be domestic.
Worth researching for these going to an event coming from overseas type of business.

Wynter

On the Ice

Can't say much about the tickets since each ice show has its own system, but I did manage to get a ticket to Yuzu's ice show in Yokohama. I stayed in Tokyo and traveled to Yokohama during the show day via train (approx 1hr) without any issue.

rabidline

Final Flight
On the other hand, since after COVID, now it has been quite difficult to get the tickets to some of the shows. And one of the reasons is that many of the formal ticketing sites (PIA, l-tickets,...etc.) are incorporating complicated processes for ticket drawing and selling, which involve validation of registration by a local cell-phone. I understand that these ticketing sites want to prevent it from the re-selling of the show tickets, but it also makes everything difficult for viewers from overseas.
I know... I really depended on the kindness of my friends who live in Japan to purchase the tickets for me first, and then allowing me to pay them when I arrive in Japan. It's actually... why I'm glad that after COVID, the ice shows I want to go to don't sell out immediately, because it allows me to buy same day tickets. Therefore, I don't burden my friends too much (especially since they buy all the other ice show tickets for themselves too). But if it returns to how it was before COVID then... well.

TallyT

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
There was a 3 hour(!!!) special on Japanese TV yesterday on RE_PRAY, with behind the scenes material giving some sense of the work, attention, detail and money that goes into the very top rank of shows (different because of the sheer scale and everything, but they do mostly face the same logistics and some of the planning). I also think viewers got an eye-opening sense of the sheer, staggering physical demands of the training involved in being one of the great figure skaters, because most don't get bts exposure but they are all doing their own amazing feats of endurance and strength just to get on the international ice in the first place.

MayaM

Spectator
I noticed there was a thread for the Russian ones, but not for the other major market, so I thought why not? Please add dates and stars for the ones you know are coming up, and videos/pics maybe.

Stars on Ice 2024 is currently running in Japan till 7 April, with all of the World Champions (Kaori, as 3peat, gets the honor spot at the end :biggrin:) plus Yuma, Shoma, Riki and Ryuichi, Junhwan, Satoko, Leona, Isabeau, Piper and Paul and others. As I understand it, only the last show will be televised (maybe fans will livestream) but fancams are being allowed.

Yuzuru's RE_PRAY solo show has added two more shows in Miyagi, 7 and 9 April. Broadcast and/or livestreams is a given. paid livestream through Beyond for the 9th, 7th is likely to be televised.

Fantasy on Ice have announced Yuzuru, Adam and Sota (A shows only), Gabi and Guillaume (all shows), Lilah and Lewis, Kaori and Junhwan and Kazuki (B shows) Satoko, Stephane, Javier, Mai and Rio and others, plus Japanese music stars. Runs from May 24 to June 23. No info as yet ASAIK on TV/livestream but I'd be astonished if it's not available.

Prince Ice World is coming, but I can't find a cast list?
Hi! Here’s the cast list for Prince Ice World Yokohama which was held Apr27-29, May3-5

Im a long time fan of PIW ever since Dad Kagiyama was one of the casts😊This time I watched two shows and it was great. Though the music was Rock’n Roll from musical songs and all the lyrics were Japanese translated which sounded weird and missed the original vibe. Most notable single skaters were Marin, Shun and Nobu.

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker

Very interesting. It sounds like the ticket buying process would be hard for everyone, local or not. First, you need a local number or local friend/forum friend to enter the lottery, then you need to win the lottery to be offered say a ticket in the first 6 rows. Then have the friend accept the offer and pay and send the ticket.
When Stars on Ice/Champions on Ice were popular in the US, I used to get on line or phone line and buy the seats I wanted in the city I wanted. Front row seats weren't cheep around the turn of the century. But if you were willing to pay what would be the equivolant now of $300 for two front row seats that were literally on the ice, you could see 16 top skaters. I did that for years before I was hooked on competitions.

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
Interesting thread. The bottom line for me is that since I am a US fan of Japanese skaters, the TV/internet is the best option. It does look like watching junior level competitions in Japan for Japanese fans, the seats don't sell out and obtaining good seats to see great skating is still possible.

TallyT

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
But if you were willing to pay what would be the equivolant now of $300 for two front row seats that were literally on the ice, you could see 16 top skaters. I did that for years before I was hooked on competitions.
The recent Stars on Ice in Japan featured all of the current World champions plus a solid group of Japanese and other skaters led by Shoma, and as I understand there were tickets available for most if not all of them after the lottery. The main difficulty these days for the general shows seems to be the need for a Japanese phone number/credit card, and fans are more than happy to explain on social media how to get around that.

(Oh, and the cost of the airfare of course...)

Last edited: