Jason Brown | Page 175 | Golden Skate

Jason Brown

cheerknithanson

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Sometimes I can't but wonder if he's really real! :love:

So much goodness collected in one person...why, I bet Jason could make world peace!

I know right!?! Also his happiness is SO contagious! Like whenever he posts something where he's happy, I feel happy as well and smile. Also when I watch him doing interviews, I realize by the end I'm smiling like an idiot. But seriously he IS a special person. And I'm very glad I'm a fan of this fine young man.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
... I wish I could get my suggestions to Rohene but he seems to have abandoned Twitter. ;)

Rohene is occasionally on Instagram.

Contacting Rohene via Skate 7K would be another option.

And Rohene will be part of a Meet and Greet on May 21 at the Mall of America, if you happen to be near there.

Also Brian Orser and Dick Button.

http://www.mallofamerica.com/events/view/1084

(Also Michael Buckley, who is speaking at the PSA conference. Off topic: I know that Michael Buckley is a big cheerleader for skating :), but does he really belong in the same league as the others?)​

Tavi...

Record Breaker
Contacting Rohene via Skate 7K would be another option.

And Rohene will be part of a Meet and Greet on May 21 at the Mall of America, if you happen to be near there.

Also Brian Orser and Dick Button.

http://www.mallofamerica.com/events/view/1084

(Also Michael Buckley, who is speaking at the PSA conference. Off topic: I know that Michael Buckley is a big cheerleader for skating :), but does he really belong in the same league as the others?)​

Thanks, Golden! I did think about 7k and may actually do that. I'm in Chicago area so Mall of America is not too close. Re Michael Buckley - he has an OTT persona but when he drops that, he actually strikes me as pretty intelligent and knowledgeable. Not sure what his topic is, but if it has to do with marketing or growing figure skating's fanbase, he could have a lot to contribute.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Thanks, Golden! I did think about 7k and may actually do that. I'm in Chicago area so Mall of America is not too close. Re Michael Buckley - he has an OTT persona but when he drops that, he actually strikes me as pretty intelligent and knowledgeable. Not sure what his topic is, but if it has to do with marketing or growing figure skating's fanbase, he could have a lot to contribute.

I did and do get why Michael Buckley was asked to speak at the PSA conference. That's not what I find dubious.
(Elsewhere on GS, I have given him credit for interspersing some substantive questions into the fluffy chat of his Social Scene skating videos.)

But lumping him into a "Fab Four" (as it is being promoted) Meet and Greet seems like some (indirect) disrespect to the other three. (Not Buckley's fault, of course.)

I'm no show biz expert, but to me, it would be something like organizing a M and G with Meryl Streep, Jack Nicholson, Martin Scorsese, and ... Perez Hilton :eek:. Bad enough, IMO, and referring to them collectively as the "Fab Four" would make it worse. Wouldn't feel right to me. YMMV.

Last edited:

StitchMonkey

Record Breaker
I did and do get why Michael Buckley was asked to speak at the PSA conference. That's not what I find dubious.
(Elsewhere on GS, I have given him credit for interspersing some substantive questions into the fluffy chat of his Social Scene skating videos.)

But lumping him into a "Fab Four" (as it is being promoted) Meet and Greet seems like some (indirect) disrespect to the other three. (Not Buckley's fault, of course.)

I'm no show biz expert, but to me, it would be something like organizing a M and G with Meryl Streep, Jack Nicholson, Martin Scorsese, and ... Perez Hilton :eek:. Bad enough, IMO, and referring to them collectively as the "Fab Four" would make it worse. Wouldn't feel right to me. YMMV.

A huge part of me agrees with you, but at the same time, well is Rohene really on Dick and Brian's level yet either? It seems they are trying to do a broad spread of people. Maybe they see it more as the Fab Four Perspectives rather than Fab Four people. Considering all of Dick's commentary, Michael Buckley does fit in a little at least as a modern counter point to his perspective. Likewise Rohene is an interesting counterpoint to Brian in that he does more that artsy/chirography/beauty side of coaching and Brian is a bit more on the technical/managerial side. So it is nice spread - and I think that was the goal. But I tend to agree they could have found a better name.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
A huge part of me agrees with you, but at the same time, well is Rohene really on Dick and Brian's level yet either? It seems they are trying to do a broad spread of people. Maybe they see it more as the Fab Four Perspectives rather than Fab Four people. Considering all of Dick's commentary, Michael Buckley does fit in a little at least as a modern counter point to his perspective. Likewise Rohene is an interesting counterpoint to Brian in that he does more that artsy/chirography/beauty side of coaching and Brian is a bit more on the technical/managerial side. So it is nice spread - and I think that was the goal. But I tend to agree they could have found a better name.

Agree that Rohene is in a different tier than Dick and Brian.
But Rohene's tier is a lot closer to D/B's tier than Michael's tier is, if you ask me.
Rohene's choreo has won a number of senior international medals for Jason, not to mention the 2015 national championship, the PSA EDI Award last year, etc. Not to mention Rohene's own skating career.

(ETA, surprising to me also that Buckley gets second billing. Button gets top billing, so alphabetical order is not the explanation.)​

But I hope I don't sound like a Buckley hater.
His feelings for skating seem genuine, and he seems popular among the skaters themselves and among a lot of skating notables.
If he draws more fans to the M and G (and to skating as whole ;)), more power to him.
(To me, Buckley's contributions to skating are his rah-rah-ness :cheer: and his interviewing. I hold commentary from our own assorted GS experts in higher regard than his commentary. YMMV.)

Last edited:

Tavi...

Record Breaker

Hmm, I guess I do see it a little differently. This event is taking place at MOA, which is a huge shopping mall / entertainment complex with a 7-acre Nickelodeon theme park at its center, so although I'm sure some serious skating fans will come, it strikes me as more about publicity (for Dick Buttons book, skating in general, and St Paul's 2016 nationals) than anything else. ;)

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Also another thing worth pointing out: Rohene Ward is from Minneapolis originally, so I'm sure that factors into things as well.

Tavi...

Record Breaker
Agreed, Mrs P. I know this is the Jason thread, but I just have to say that listening to Manleywoman's interview with him (which I hope she is able to finish someday) I am amazed and grateful that Rohene was strong enough-and got enough help- to survive a tough environment and become the wonderful skater and choreographer he is today.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Hmm, I guess I do see it a little differently. This event is taking place at MOA, which is a huge shopping mall / entertainment complex with a 7-acre Nickelodeon theme park at its center, so although I'm sure some serious skating fans will come, it strikes me as more about publicity (for Dick Buttons book, skating in general, and St Paul's 2016 nationals) than anything else. ;)

Also another thing worth pointing out: Rohene Ward is from Minneapolis originally, so I'm sure that factors into things as well.

I'm not losing sleep ;) over this M and G ... but:

Sure, it is about publicity. And I was/am aware that MOA is the mega-est of mega-malls.

My point of view is that it makes me sad that a non-fan of skating or naive casual fan who happens to show up while wandering around the MOA could not be blamed for getting the impression that the contributions of Button and Orser to the sport are no greater than Buckley's.

And for me, it is an open question whether Buckley's inclusion at the M and G will sell more books for Dick Button and more tix for Nats (coming up in MN), but for everyone's sake, I hope that it does.

Thx to Mrs. P for the point re Rohene.

Last edited:

StitchMonkey

Record Breaker
ETA: Thought this would be a fun little thing to share: https://www.dropbox.com/s/302d6vbmlfbnjgi/Screenshot 2015-04-05 21.28.59.png?dl=0

That camel spin in the FS.....judges really loved it this season!

So I felt the need to look at this again, and realized it is actually pretty remarkable.

His lowest points for the season is higher than the next highest. It did not occur to me that he does not just have the top five points - he is five for five for besting everyone else. He has only done that spin in those five competitions. All five of his performances were higher than anyone else. That is phenomenal!

Tavi...

Record Breaker
A whole week until WTT! More, actually.

Probably because we were talking about music, I'm now starting to wonder about next seasons programs.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
A whole week until WTT! More, actually.

Probably because we were talking about music, I'm now starting to wonder about next seasons programs.

Almost one week exactly from now. One last burst of international skating and then we subside into the realm of "what will he skate to next year? What horrors will he wear? Will he bring the quad? What GPs will he get?" merry go round until the Broadmoor Open. (Presumably.) This will be followed closely by the GP assignments, and those two events will give us plenty of fodder to chew up, spit out, and then start chewing again. :laugh:

I am sure Jason's inevitably adorable goofiness at WTT will be excellent, too.

Max is really doing us a great service, you know. The WTT results alone could not have sustained us through the barren period of starvation that is the beginning of the off season. But with two brand-new programs, one to a piece of music that could be considered to be the polar opposite of his style, we are sure to have a little sustenance in that time.

:laugh2:

Last edited:

LRK

Record Breaker
Jason updated his icenetwork blog for worlds

http://www.icenetwork.com/news/2015/03/24/114639882

It's interesting and worth a read. He acknowledges the deja vu feelings to Sochi and talks about some feelings of regret over the Olympics. Some people accuse him of not having the killer competitive instinct, but he has one, it just manifests differently.

That was very moving reading. I'd never think that he lacks competitive fire - and, being a Plushy uber, I think I know it when I see it.;) As you say, though, people are different, and therefore manifest the same quality differently. The main thing is, as Jason noted, to keep one's focus. That is the key. How you do that is different to each person. (I think of Plushy as a cat in killer/stalker mode.)

I think people take Jason's sunny and upbeat personality and interpret that as "Not Serious". (Just as "Entertainment" is "Not Art" - and that is not solely restricted to FS by any means - how many books or movies that win major prizes could one really label "a Barrel of Laughs"? [or "Tons of Excitement!" or "Fun, Fun, Fun!"] But I digress.:))

Last edited:

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
I love the way he takes each experience, analyzes it rather than spending excessive time agonizing over it, and uses it effectively to make improvements!

Just saying, that was very much the same process Davis & White appeared to use, and it worked really well for them! Wishing similar success for Jason :cheer:

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Jason updated his icenetwork blog for worlds

http://www.icenetwork.com/news/2015/03/24/114639882

It's interesting and worth a read. He acknowledges the deja vu feelings to Sochi and talks about some feelings of regret over the Olympics. Some people accuse him of not having the killer competitive instinct, but he has one, it just manifests differently.

great read: confirms my own prejudices that going last would not be the best time for a skater to skate. Also answers some of the grumbling in other threads about posting and blogging. As though a skater at his level would not know how to manage his time. :confused:

His next mission: to bring silly USA sunglasses and hats for everyone in the KnC.:laugh: