Jason Brown | Page 284 | Golden Skate

Jason Brown

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Was I projecting or was Adam having a total stone-face reaction to Jason in both the SP and LP? It bothered me. A lot.

I like Adam, but his reaction did seem a tad pro forma. But as much as I love Adam's skating, and I appreciate what it must have taken to become a world class skater from Clarks Summit (a suburb of Scranton, for fecks' sake, it amazes me he made it) he sometimes seems to have an undercurrent of bitterness. Adam, sweetie, others' success does *not* detract from you!

But Gracie in the KnC (and the others), just *too* adorable...

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
Le sigh. The LP is just gorgeous, like an exquisite watercolor. I am not sure the Johnny Cash Man In Black look is quite right for it, Even with back problems his extensions are To Die For, as well as his spins (that final spin, Le Sigh Aussi). And footwork. He might learn a trick Chan has perfected--of holding a move a fraction of a second, and then releasing it. And would a quad help it? Yes. Let's not kid ourselves: gorgeous choreography and musicality will only take you so far anymore. But I am glad he's kept the program.

Ok, the only thing I was interested in with this World Team Trophy thingamajig was Jason's programs. That's our little secret, m'okay? ;)

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Onto happy Jason news, here's his exhibition thanks to kyoko 0303:

Jason Brown Exhibition

Yay! After years and years of terrible exhibitions, we have a good one! :yes: :yes:

Ok, the only thing I was interested in with this World Team Trophy thingamajig was Jason's programs. That's our little secret, m'okay? ;)

Oh, I don't even keep that a secret. I own it. It was the only reason I was paying any attention and it was why I didn't bother shelling out the $10.

caitie

Medalist
I went back and rewatched and Adam seemed fine to me. Even if his reaction was more perfunctory than genuine, I think that's okay. The US men's field is really scarily competitive, and Adam and Jason are the same type of skater, so probably being beaten by Jason in both parts of this event wasn't a great way to end a successful season for Adam. But to reiterate, I personally thought his reaction was fine.

Anyway, I loved the LP here. It's a gorgeous program, and Jason is on the music better here than I've seen. I was sad that they changed one of my favorite parts -- the layback Ina Bauer. Maybe to preserve Jason's back, in which case I'm fine with it. I like the simple black costume, but I do see the Johnny Cash criticism too. We are hard to please, lol!

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
FYI, RE: the costume: It was a short-term fix for now. My understanding is that his body has changed since the fall, so the costume he had earlier in the season didn't fit anymore.

I believe the costume he wore here was the same one he wore for his Sam Smith exhibition at Ice Chips.

Last edited:

StitchMonkey

Record Breaker
FYI, RE: the costume: It was a short-term fix for now. My understanding is that his body has changed since the fall, so the costume he had earlier in the season didn't fit anymore.

I believe the costume he wore here was the same one he wore for his Sam Smith exhibition at Ice Chips.

But his Question of You one still fits? Or was the jacket around the waist part of a duct tape level fix for it not fitting.

The body changing does not surprise me... but the pattern of change is odd. Well Jason does like to do things his way.

TMC

Record Breaker
Well, as much as his eye-rolling at 2015 Nationals irked me, I gotta defend Adam a little here. I don't see anything weird or wrong in his reaction? I mean he high-fives Jason - of his own volition - after the short. He smiles and screams and whoops and throws his hands in the air like the rest of them when the LP scores are read. What more could you want? Yes there are moments when he's clapping away stone-faced, but a) he just isn't a Max or a Jason, not everybody can be or should be expected to be, and b) he's got one of the most authentic and naturally perfected resting b-faces I have ever seen. I mean if there was a pageant for RBFs, he would be crowned the RBF queen of the universe, easily. Doesn't mean it says anything about how he really feels or thinks. (You gotta do some eye-rolling at least to make sure your message gets across).

I mean if it wasn't for the high-five and the whooping you could be suspicious, but I wouldn't want to read anything into is facial expression unless there's 100% certainty. It just feels really unfair :(

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker

Oh good. All black is just the wrong note for that I think simple elegance, no bling, but maybe a rich jewel tone.

TMC

Record Breaker
Somebody on Twitter said that the black simple outfit made them think of a black piano key against the white ice. I thought that was a rather wonderful way to think about it :)

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
I liked the plain black. It enabled me to really focus on his expressions and extensions without distraction and I wonder if the judges felt the same way too.

Of course, fit it a little better, that's fine...but this is Rohene we're talking about, so no doubt whatever Jason steps on the ice in next season is going to be unnecessarily gaudy and possibly make Jason look like he's 10. Again.

Tavi...

Record Breaker
Somebody on Twitter said that the black simple outfit made them think of a black piano key against the white ice. I thought that was a rather wonderful way to think about it :)

Ha ha - someone else said he looked like a sexy bartender at Copacabana at Philly - I kinda liked that too!

I hope they find a happy medium between what he wore last fall (a bit too feminine and embellished for my taste, plus the shape and size of the cut out was awkward and to me unflattering) and this, which is a bit harsh. I could see this style shirt working if it was in the same black velvet as the old shirt.

I think the last costume would have worked fine for Rohene, but he and Jason have different body types and styles even though their musicality, grace and flexibility are similar. I always thought Jason looked a lot like his mom, but these days, he's beginning to resemble his dad, too.

LRK

Record Breaker
I liked the plain black. It enabled me to really focus on his expressions and extensions without distraction and I wonder if the judges felt the same way too.

Of course, fit it a little better, that's fine...but this is Rohene we're talking about, so no doubt whatever Jason steps on the ice in next season is going to be unnecessarily gaudy and possibly make Jason look like he's 10. Again.

I liked the black, as well. I thought he looked handsome in it.:)

Also, "bright" is not the word that comes to mind in association with this music. (Nor do I get the impression that it's a word that would be used in describing the film - though I haven't seen it, so am open to correction on this point.:) Regarding the music chosen for Jason't program, however, I will adamantly stick with my own opinion.;))

TMC

Record Breaker
Oh yes I saw the sexy bartender comment too and thought it was spot on! In fact, it inspired us to watch Cocktail last night :laugh2:

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Oh yes I saw the sexy bartender comment too and thought it was spot on! In fact, it inspired us to watch Cocktail last night :laugh2:

I don't think the sexy bartender look will survive, but I wouldn't mind moderate bling ...just not Rohene level bling, not for this program:biggrin: Plus it would differentiate the SP and LP to have one relatively color-free.

Also, just because I know it, I need to chime in that the name of the bar in Philly is "Copabanana", a play on Copacabana (cutesy, huh?). It's been there forever, as in I would go there when I was young and single and loved to mingle. In the Pleistocene Era. ;) Although back then it was more of a dive than it is now, (ETA: it was relatively divey then, now it seems more upscale) according to its website. I don't remember any sexy bartenders....

Off topic ended/

Last edited:

Tavi...

Record Breaker
I don't think the sexy bartender look will survive, but I wouldn't mind moderate bling ...just not Rohene level bling, not for this program:biggrin: Plus it would differentiate the SP and LP to have one relatively color-free.

Also, just because I know it, I need to chime in that the name of the bar in Philly is "Copabanana", a play on Copacabana (cutesy, huh?). It's been there forever, as in I would go there when I was young and single and loved to mingle. In the Pleistocene Era. ;) Although back then it was more of a dive than it is now, (ETA: it was relatively divey then, now it seems more upscale) according to its website. I don't remember any sexy bartenders....

Off topic ended/

Sorry I got name wrong, thx for correction! Sadly I think you're right about Rohene, but if what he wants doesn't work, hopefully Kori will change it. I think something like Josh's Schindler's List shirt would work well because it's softer and the shirt seems a bit gauzy but not overly feminine. I do think Jason would be better off with less contrast between top and bottom colors, though - Josh has endless legs and can pull off the high contrast look, but I think Jason needs less contrast for a longer line - maybe lighter near face and then ombré at bottom of shirt toning into pants. Don't see Rohene going for something that simple, though....

StitchMonkey

Record Breaker
Sorry I got name wrong, thx for correction! Sadly I think you're right about Rohene, but if what he wants doesn't work, hopefully Kori will change it. I think something like Josh's Schindler's List shirt would work well because it's softer and the shirt seems a bit gauzy but not overly feminine. I do think Jason would be better off with less contrast between top and bottom colors, though - Josh has endless legs and can pull off the high contrast look, but I think Jason needs less contrast for a longer line - maybe lighter near face and then ombré at bottom of shirt toning into pants. Don't see Rohene going for something that simple, though....

What about something like this?

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-U8mYz_d-Icw/VklgrAstqaI/AAAAAAABWGU/9zr3hUBhKZM/s640/yu-jin.jpg

I think Jin's costume the past two seasons was so elegant looking without being feminine. It's interesting but in no way distracting. I even like the subtle stoning on the shoulders.

These are both examples that I think would work well and have been thinking about. Josh's would be great for this FS actually. And Jin's style is also something I think would work better than all black. I would do a darker less pastel shade though.

Still think this is my favorite Jason costume.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0xAG9G_m_IM

Or seen here http://i082.radikal.ru/1112/3b/c7e40bb6486e.jpg

I actually think something like this could work for The Piano... even with the bling that i suspect many find too much. I think this is a good amount though. It has the similar collar to the SP costume a lot of us seemed to like. And the swirls down one leg i think helps to lengthen his line - it also allows for the waist to be identifiable, but also allows for it mostly to be black and solid unbroken fabric, which i think looks very nice.

I actually don't mind the Sam Smith look for it though, it looks nice, but... well it is a costume the buttons should be fake. I hate seeing button down shirts like this where you can see the fabric stretching at the buttons and gapping happening. Just have the button strip be decorative if you want the look. Cheat where you can!

Tavi...

Record Breaker
These are both examples that I think would work well and have been thinking about. Josh's would be great for this FS actually. And Jin's style is also something I think would work better than all black. I would do a darker less pastel shade though.

Still think this is my favorite Jason costume.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0xAG9G_m_IM

Or seen here http://i082.radikal.ru/1112/3b/c7e40bb6486e.jpg

I actually think something like this could work for The Piano... even with the bling that i suspect many find too much. I think this is a good amount though. It has the similar collar to the SP costume a lot of us seemed to like. And the swirls down one leg i think helps to lengthen his line - it also allows for the waist to be identifiable, but also allows for it mostly to be black and solid unbroken fabric, which i think looks very nice.

I actually don't mind the Sam Smith look for it though, it looks nice, but... well it is a costume the buttons should be fake. I hate seeing button down shirts like this where you can see the fabric stretching at the buttons and gapping happening. Just have the button strip be decorative if you want the look. Cheat where you can!

What a little ham he was! Or is still is, I guess. Actually the design on the costume you like is kind of a more subtle version of the design on the current SP costume - instead of the colors in the current costume, the design is outlined in subtle bling and as you said extends down the leg a bit. I like the color - hard to tell if it's black, dark brown, dark eggplant - but it suits him.

So does the old FS costume not fit because he's lost weight? He looks a little thinner now but I don't see a huge change.