Javier Fernandez | Page 100 | Golden Skate

Javier Fernandez

apgold

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I enjoyed TSL’s second interview with Javi and Miki. I enjoyed hearing how Javi felt during his freeskate and glad he was not skating in any pain. Certainly a highlight of the competition for me when I was in Boston. He and Miki are so cute together and supportive of each other.

I hope his Elvis program is a crowd pleaser – if David Wilson is doing it I’m sure it will be good. I’d like to see him skate to “Hound Dog” or “Jailhouse Rock” something upbeat - that would be fun. I hope it’s not the mix that Yulia used this year for her short – all over the place.

I wonder if Miki knows that Dave used to be really harsh on her skating when she was competing. She was never my favorite, but I’ve grown to like her mostly through these interviews.

eppen

Medalist
Country
Spain
Well, the situation changes if/when someone (read: Hanyu) adds a third different quad into the FS. Hanyu has been doing the 4lo in shows as a single element and talked about adding it to his competition program next season. If his injury recovery gets longer, he might have to ditch that plan, who knows...

But for Javi keeping up with Hanyu, that could be problematic. Javi has now 4S and 4T as single jumps and 4S+3T combo, which means that to add he would have to do 4T in combination with something else than toeloop or then combine the 3A with something else than 2T. The second option seems more likely maybe, but still the risk for repeating jumps by downgrades etc. gets higher and that can mean a further reduction in points. Plus there is a chance that it might be handy during the Olympic year when the current youngsters (like Jin, maybe Uno) advance in their other skills and have three different quads.

If they would decide that 4Lo is necessary, they would probably have to rethink the order of the elements in the FS again, because it would most likely have to be in earlier than where his 3Lo has been (usually the last or second to last jump).

Speculations... :scratch2:

E

evergreen

On the Ice
Well, the situation changes if/when someone (read: Hanyu) adds a third different quad into the FS. Hanyu has been doing the 4lo in shows as a single element and talked about adding it to his competition program next season. If his injury recovery gets longer, he might have to ditch that plan, who knows...

But for Javi keeping up with Hanyu, that could be problematic. Javi has now 4S and 4T as single jumps and 4S+3T combo, which means that to add he would have to do 4T in combination with something else than toeloop or then combine the 3A with something else than 2T. The second option seems more likely maybe, but still the risk for repeating jumps by downgrades etc. gets higher and that can mean a further reduction in points. Plus there is a chance that it might be handy during the Olympic year when the current youngsters (like Jin, maybe Uno) advance in their other skills and have three different quads.

If they would decide that 4Lo is necessary, they would probably have to rethink the order of the elements in the FS again, because it would most likely have to be in earlier than where his 3Lo has been (usually the last or second to last jump).

Speculations... :scratch2:

E

Yes, this is the point; he may have to follow up Hanyu, in case the latter adopt 4th quad, most likely a 4 loop in the long program. A third different quad, i.e. 4 loop, will give more flexibility to his technical layout for the free skate, avoiding stupid zayak violations in case of any downgraded 4T/4S, he may be able to take advantage of the jump despite its inconsistency, it would be worth the risks even if he falls, so long as he could full rotations; this was the strategy Hanyu took for his LP in 13-14 season, even though he only landed 4 Sal twice during the entire season.

On the other hand, whether Javi opts to go for 4 Loop or not, he really needs to enhance the quality of all his jumps and continue trying difficult/different entries/footwork linked to his difficult jumps, such as 4 toe, 4 Sal, 3 A, etc. He also needs to improve his skating skills & spins whereas he is still not up to the level of his main ravels, Hanyu & Chan.

Looking forward to his Elvis Melody free skate; I cannot recall which male skater used Elvis' songs/music for his long program, other than Ryan Bradley used the songs "heartbreak hotel" & "Jailhouse Rock" in one of his short programs.

Last edited:

honghe

On the Ice
I'm so thrilled that Javi is keeping Malagueña for the next season :love: I always feel that the program still has a lot of potential :) interesting Javi is going to have a new costume for it, I cannot imagine other than black and red, what design can fit for a Flamenco male dancer, other than that I am pretty sure we will see two versions of Javi in each competition next season, one with goatee, one not, Sorry, honghe, you may have to put up with Javi's goatee one more season :laugh:

Haha Malagueña is such a nice program that I wouldn't mind putting up with the goatee for one more season:laugh:
I also wonder what the new costume would be.

Javi & Miki was heading to Nagano yesterday, while I will fly to Tokyo from Hong Kong tomorrow afternoon and take a train next day to Nagano for Friday's FaOI show, cannot wait seeing the couple on ice together, and other brilliant & my all time favorite skaters :love:.

Wish you a nice trip and a great time watching the FaOI show in Nagano! I'm sure Javi, Jeff, Stephane and Ilya et al. will all be great!

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
I have utmost trust in David Wilson´s ability to create awesome choreography for Javier (and of course for other skaters, too), but I still think he needs to have material = music that allows it. Just hoping that the music of Elvis will be enough for awesome choreography and as I mentioned earlier will try keeping an open mind, LOL.

About Javier´s third quad (what ever it might be), can he do a quad toeloop double toe combination like he does with triple axel? I may be totally wrong, but I have understood that one can do several double toes in combination?

Last edited:

xibsuarz

Record Breaker
I have utmost trust in David Wilson´s ability to create awesome choreography for Javier (and of course for other skaters, too), but I still think he needs to have material = music that allows it. Just hoping that the music of Elvis will be enough for awesome choreography and as I mentioned earlier will try keeping an open mind, LOL.

About Javier´s third quad (what ever it might be), can he do a quad toeloop double toe combination like he does with triple axel? I may be totally wrong, but I have understood that one can do several double toes in combination?

I was under that impression as well, regarding the doubles. I thought the same thing, that he could just move the 2T to a quad toe. And he doesn't pop that often anymore. If he wanted to add a fourth quad, he could go for a 4T, 4S+3T, 3A, 4S, 4T+2T, 3F+Lo+3S, 3Lz, 3Lo ( Wow, I got tired just by writing it :laugh: )

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
I was under that impression as well, regarding the doubles. I thought the same thing, that he could just move the 2T to a quad toe. And he doesn't pop that often anymore. If he wanted to add a fourth quad, he could go for a 4T, 4S+3T, 3A, 4S, 4T+2T, 3F+Lo+3S, 3Lz, 3Lo ( Wow, I got tired just by writing it :laugh: )

Oh my, yes, that demands an excellent condition from Javier..., but by doing all of that he would get wonderful technical scores.

eppen

Medalist
Country
Spain

A HUGE thumbs up for that! :biggrin: (And now get it ready for putting it into programs!)

Two 2Ts are indeed allowed, but they are commonly used by those who have no other jumps to put into combinations. The top guys do not tend to use 2Ts although they could (and here the list goes down to Hanyu, Javi, Uno and Boyang Jin). Others use the second 2T in three jump combos (eg Rippon, Chan, Han Yan), and it becomes a more common with those who have no quads and/or 3As. So, adding a 4T+2T is theoretically possible (Malaguena has 4T+3T, so it would not be a biggie), but I guess the Zayak rule on repetitions keeps the guys from using that option too much. If you have to downgrade one of them, you lose a lot of important points (Javi in Sochi, Hanyu in Boston to mention some examples). Plus I wonder if that choice for the top guys is also being concerned with "image" - repeating one type of jump too much does not look good (and is not encouraged, hence the repetition rules) and judges might be inclined to react on that negatively?!

Hanyu does all three combos in the second part of the FS and Javi does more difficult stuff in the first part, but the final BV is amazingly enough about the same in the end. I kind of prefer the way Javi does the second jumping sequence - 4 in a row, but usually something else before the last jump (Hanyu usually does all 5 in a row)...

E

evergreen

On the Ice
Hi, my fellow fans, finally I am able to sit down for a while writing a short post while waiting for my return flight at NRT airport. I was super busy during the past three days but really enjoyed every minute in Nagano, especailly the FaOI shows. Originally, I planned to see the Friday's show only, as this was the only one which I could still get a ticket when I decide to go for the show. When I found on the night I arrived at Toyko that the host released additional tickets for Nagano's shows, I did not hesitate to purchase another show ticket for Day 2, and this time I got an ice seat. I wish I could have attended the final show tonight but two fantastic snows in a row worthed the trip.

Performance wise,Javi did better on Day two, especially the Barcelona program. It seems that his jumps were off on the first half of Day 1 show, he made little mistake at almost every jump, except 3 lutz, leaning forward his opening 3 axel, his Barcelona was the last program of the first half, he was a little tigh there, 3 axel step out, 3 loop double footed, 3 sal hand down but 3 lutz was solid. His jumps were back in the 2nd half, except a little step out of the 2nd jump of his 3sal~ 3 toe, every else was clean and fans scream at hid dance move before his final spin. He wore his black and red Malaguena costume, the music, the dance and the read dim light of the stage gave the program a majical touch.

Miki and Javi are really a couple, they even made similar mistake in Day 2 their Malaguena programs respectively. Both of them triped over the steps taking the final pose, either of them did not expect the mistake, so did the crowded, we laughed about it, in a good way.

The highlight, seeing Javi's beautiful spread eagle cutting the corner in front of me then a perfect 3 loop in the final group number.

I willl post more when I return to my PC at HK. I have to get boarded now. Sorry for any typos since I am in a rush.

honghe

On the Ice
Hi, my fellow fans, finally I am able to sit down for a while writing a short post while waiting for my return flight at NRT airport. I was super busy during the past three days but really enjoyed every minute in Nagano, especailly the FaOI shows. Originally, I planned to see the Friday's show only, as this was the only one which I could still get a ticket when I decide to go for the show. When I found on the night I arrived at Toyko that the host released additional tickets for Nagano's shows, I did not hesitate to purchase another show ticket for Day 2, and this time I got an ice seat. I wish I could have attended the final show tonight but two fantastic snows in a row worthed the trip.

Performance wise,Javi did better on Day two, especially the Barcelona program. It seems that his jumps were off on the first half of Day 1 show, he made little mistake at almost every jump, except 3 lutz, leaning forward his opening 3 axel, his Barcelona was the last program of the first half, he was a little tigh there, 3 axel step out, 3 loop double footed, 3 sal hand down but 3 lutz was solid. His jumps were back in the 2nd half, except a little step out of the 2nd jump of his 3sal~ 3 toe, every else was clean and fans scream at hid dance move before his final spin. He wore his black and red Malaguena costume, the music, the dance and the read dim light of the stage gave the program a majical touch.

Miki and Javi are really a couple, they even made similar mistake in Day 2 their Malaguena programs respectively. Both of them triped over the steps taking the final pose, either of them did not expect the mistake, so did the crowded, we laughed about it, in a good way.

The highlight, seeing Javi's beautiful spread eagle cutting the corner in front of me then a perfect 3 loop in the final group number.

I willl post more when I return to my PC at HK. I have to get boarded now. Sorry for any typos since I am in a rush.

Dear evergreen, thank you so much for taking time to post here while traveling!

I am glad to hear that you were able to go to two shows instead of one, and that Javi skated better on the 2nd day. It must be wonderful to see Malaguena in a show! I feel sorry for saying this, but both Miki and Javi tripping over before their final poses in their respective Malaguena programs sounds funny and cute. I definitely don't blame the audience for laughing! It's all in good humor:laugh:

I wonder what Javi's new costume for Malaguena would be, if he is not keeping the black and red costume. I mean, he looks great in it, so they must have some very good new ideas if they have decided to change a costume that is working pretty well.

(Oh, and you know I must ask this very important question: did Javi have his goatee? :laugh:)

Pardon my ignorance, but what is the Barcelona program?:confused:

eppen

Medalist
Country
Spain
Evergreen, did you get to witness the 4lo?! I hope so! Thanks for the reporting!

Honghe: Barcelona is the one he does/did with the Yoshida Brothers.

e

evergreen

On the Ice
Dear evergreen, thank you so much for taking time to post here while traveling!

I am glad to hear that you were able to go to two shows instead of one, and that Javi skated better on the 2nd day. It must be wonderful to see Malaguena in a show! I feel sorry for saying this, but both Miki and Javi tripping over before their final poses in their respective Malaguena programs sounds funny and cute. I definitely don't blame the audience for laughing! It's all in good humor:laugh:

I wonder what Javi's new costume for Malaguena would be, if he is not keeping the black and red costume. I mean, he looks great in it, so they must have some very good new ideas if they have decided to change a costume that is working pretty well.

(Oh, and you know I must ask this very important question: did Javi have his goatee? :laugh:)

Pardon my ignorance, but what is the Barcelona program?:confused:

I am home and can get back to you now, honghe.

No goatee in Nagano, Javi shaved cleanly in Day 1, but I didn't see any difference watching him live, because of the lighting effects at the rink. He was well rested and in a playful mood in the whole night. It appears he did not shave the second day, but one night was too short for him to grow a goatee. I was sitting very close to the rink for the second show, close enough to see the big dark circles under his eyes. He was more serious yesterday afternoon , I would have witnessed two stunning & clean programs from him if he did not tripped over towards the end. He was a little bit embarrassed and bowed to the crowd in a hurry, while most of fans amused at Miki & his mistakes, this was the funny side of ice skating shows which we usually did not have at competitions. The mistake Javi made did not take away the great performance, all the jumps were well executed, 3sal~3 toe, 3 axel, 3 flip, and the spin was very expressive.

Barcelona is the program he collaborated with Yoshida Brothers in the first half of the shows.

Last edited:

evergreen

On the Ice
Evergreen, did you get to witness the 4lo?! I hope so! Thanks for the reporting!

Yes, I did. This was done at the finale of the second day's show. His quad loop was placed at the right corner near the stage, quite some distance from where I stood, the up left corner. At the end of the show, we were allowed to come to the rink side, Stephen landed an almost perfect quad toe right in front of me, then here came Javi, he skated around the rink in a full circle before taking off, fans screamed loudly when he landed the jump, he and Stephen then had a big hug. :luv17:

Last edited:

tzazu

Medalist
2000 comments!!!!!!!😘 This was unthinkable three months ago! :yahoo:

Last edited:

xibsuarz

Record Breaker
Happy 2000 replies, everyone! :clap:
Evergreen thank you so much for your detailed report, and you were so lucky to see Javi's 4Lo live! Hopefully, some footage will be released soon so we can also see that spread eagle+3Lo from the group number :yes:

evergreen

On the Ice
Happy 2000 replies, everyone! :clap:
Evergreen thank you so much for your detailed report, and you were so lucky to see Javi's 4Lo live! Hopefully, some footage will be released soon so we can also see that spread eagle+3Lo from the group number :yes:

xibsuarz, I am very pleased to write a report covering as much details as I can, so long as my memory does not fail me :laugh:

Yes, it was my privilege to see Javi's 4 loop live, he just stated in TSL's interview last Monday that he had no intention to include a 3rd different quad jump in his free skate, then he landed a beautiful 4 loop a few days later, how cool was that :cool: he is such a natural jumper, as Brain said in his book, a quad genius, watch out, new quad teenage kings, don't count the "grandpa" out :dance:

Wee, 2000 posts already :hap10: let's keep on posting and sharing information about our beloved skater:luv17:

According to the flyer the staff distributed at the show, there would be more shows aired via cable CS TV Asahi-Channel 2 on the following dates:-

FaOI 2016 Makuhari July 24 (Sun) 13:00 ~16:00

FaOI 2016 Kobe July 31 (Sun) 13:00 ~16:00

FaOI 2016 Nagano Aug 7 (Sun) 16:00 ~ 19:00

And FaOI 2016 Sapporo will be televised again by BS Fuji on July 17, Sunday, 17:00 ~ 18:30.

Last edited: