Javier Fernandez | Page 99 | Golden Skate

Javier Fernandez

evergreen

On the Ice
Hello, in this video you can see that Javier is a big fan of Real Madrid Soccer Club: last year he did the honour kickoff in a match.

https://youtu.be/6aU4-ZmpBy4

Many thanks for sharing the link, Gema, it is great to see the crowd greeted him with applause :luv17: doesn't Javi look very tiny compared to these football players? it seems he inherited small body type from his mother, but Brian said that Javi's father passed on his genetically strong constitution to his son, naturally lean and muscular, Javi can eat whatever he wants and never gain weight :laugh: I am super jealous :dev2:

tzazu

Medalist
Many thanks for sharing the link, Gema, it is great to see the crowd greeted him with applause :luv17: doesn't Javi look very tiny compared to these football players? it seems he inherited small body type from his mother, but Brian said that Javi's father passed on his genetically strong constitution to his son, naturally lean and muscular, Javi can eat whatever he wants and never gain weight :laugh: I am super jealous :dev2:

Eat whatever you want and no gain weight, my dream!!!:drama: Now I want to kill him :rofl:

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
Eat whatever you want and no gain weight, my dream!!!:drama: Now I want to kill him :rofl:

LOL, I enjoyed that same freedom until reaching the age of about 40 years lots of years ago... After that it has been veeery different :rofl:. Anyway, I`m happy for Javi that he can enjoy his food fully (at least now).

Last edited:

eppen

Medalist
Country
Spain
Not only Javi represents a small federation, he was born and raised in a country with no winter sport tradition, mostly because it hardly snows :disapp: in addition to short of funding, career supporting system, lack of facility/world class coaches and other resources, I cannot imagine how hard it is for a youngster pursuing a career in skating which the majority of his countrymen hardly understand or appreciate at the outset. I think that both Julian Zhi Jie Yee from Malaysia and Michael Christian Martinez are in similar situation, I admire these young men's talent, pure passion for the sports and amazing courage despite all the hurdles they have to overcome, they are the pioneers of their own countries in the figure skating, regardless of their world standings. On the other hand, what Javi has accomplished are really extra-ordinary and I have to say that his path of success is full of miracles :cool:

And even the guy from the Philippines has a somewhat similar track record to the majority of the successful guys despite the tiny federation and no traditions in winter sports in his country. ;) Even with this example, Javi's career development is a bit of an outlier...

A new pic from Fantasy on Ice FB page with Nobunari Oda: https://www.facebook.com/1581188472...609754854766/1753614934854248/?type=3&theater

Backstage at FaOI: https://www.instagram.com/p/BG4Yue9D_kT/?tagged=javierfernandez

And The Skating Lesson has done another interview with him and Miki: https://www.instagram.com/p/BG5qzugKEGg/?tagged=javierfernandez

I hope that PJ Kwong will someday get around posting the interview she apparently made at SOI Toronto... (https://twitter.com/skatingpj/status/728691848001294337)

E

evergreen

On the Ice
And even the guy from the Philippines has a somewhat similar track record to the majority of the successful guys despite the tiny federation and no traditions in winter sports in his country. ;) Even with this example, Javi's career development is a bit of an outlier...

Yes, Martinez has pretty solid junior competition record and won some Senior B titles, and unlike Javi, he moved up to the free skate session in the first two/only two worlds competitions he has competed. I think training with John Nicks and Ilia Kulik in his early teens attributed to the solid foundation of his skating skills, jumping technique and posture, etc. He is a very good spinner.

And The Skating Lesson has done another interview with him and Miki: https://www.instagram.com/p/BG5qzugKEGg/?tagged=javierfernandez

I hope that PJ Kwong will someday get around posting the interview she apparently made at SOI Toronto... (https://twitter.com/skatingpj/status/728691848001294337)

E

cannot wait for these two interviews, especially TSL's, their first one is one of the most watched TSL interviews, a lot of funny & lovely moments :luv17:

eppen

Medalist
Country
Spain
Jenny and Dave are btw some of the commentators who prior to last season did not really give Javi much attention in their analyses -despite Jenny's self-confessed crush on Javi... In that first interview it seemed to me that they had really not done their homework on Javi, not that many questions and the ones asked were pretty common ones. It'll be interesting to see what'll be like this time!

E

evergreen

On the Ice
Jenny and Dave are btw some of the commentators who prior to last season did not really give Javi much attention in their analyses -despite Jenny's self-confessed crush on Javi... In that first interview it seemed to me that they had really not done their homework on Javi, not that many questions and the ones asked were pretty common ones. It'll be interesting to see what'll be like this time!

Understandable, Javi is not the type of skater Jenny & Dave fancy, and Dave had a hard time to get Jenny's crush on Javi; like many observers and fans, they focused on Chan vs. Hanyu rivalry and they even made a special edition on the rivalry at the very beginning of the season.

it appears they knew more about Miki's competition career than Javi's, though both of them, particularly Dave criticized Miki's skating style a lot. I guess Jenny & Dave were pretty amazed by Javi & Miki's out-going personality, their capable of speaking English eloquently.

Last edited:

xibsuarz

Record Breaker
The skating lesson already posted the new interview with Javi and Miki: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XIcYWyobzGM :hap85:

Thanks for posting it, Sol!
So Javi will keep Malagueña? And he will do an Elvis FS? I'm getting excited about it already :yahoo: I wonder which songs by Elvis he'll use? I would love to see Suspicious Minds in there but I'm not sure if it's suited for a competitive program.

Last edited:

eppen

Medalist
Country
Spain
That was interesting, much better on the Javi front than the first one - this time they did seem to have done a bit of homework. Although it seems that their main source of information is social media...

And yes, the main thing OF COURSE were the news about the programs for next season. I like the idea of keeping Malagueña - it was never done to perfection in competition and even with changes it'll be good! (It would kind of need more transitions, in the current version he stands in one place too much.)

I kind of like the Elvis FS, but hope that they will have some other kind of connection between the songs apart from just the same artist... With some trepidation I put my trust in David Wilson and Hugo Chouinard - they've done very good job in Javi's case in the past two season ;)

E

evergreen

On the Ice
Malagueña again!Love the idea:love:

I'm so thrilled that Javi is keeping Malagueña for the next season :love: I always feel that the program still has a lot of potential :) interesting Javi is going to have a new costume for it, I cannot imagine other than black and red, what design can fit for a Flamenco male dancer, other than that I am pretty sure we will see two versions of Javi in each competition next season, one with goatee, one not, Sorry, honghe, you may have to put up with Javi's goatee one more season :laugh:

I really felt for Javi's parents during the last worlds, worrying about Javi's injury so much but had to refrain from checking upon him in person, because they did not want to distract him from the competition, how did Javi's mother manage to make a Spanish desert from a hotel room? Javi has a sweet tooth, and it must feel so special to have a piece of mom-made sweet when he was in pain :luv17: what a lovely moment & sweet touch and what a emotional roller coaster they went through in Boston :drama:

Javi & Miki was heading to Nagano yesterday, while I will fly to Tokyo from Hong Kong tomorrow afternoon and take a train next day to Nagano for Friday's FaOI show, cannot wait seeing the couple on ice together, and other brilliant & my all time favorite skaters :love:.

Last edited:

eppen

Medalist
Country
Spain
How cool, evergreen! Enjoy the show and report back what it was like!

With Yoshida Brothers in Kobe: https://twitter.com/javierfernandez/status/745491040874856448

With Miki on a bus to Nagano: https://twitter.com/M1K1_ANDO/status/745491702182383616

What came to mind later was that hopefully they will do the right decisions about the choices of technical difficulty from the start. There are certainly benefits for maintaining the status quo, but, at the same time, changing things mid-season (again) seems not such a good idea either. Hanyu chose to be proactive and changed things last season, but I guess we'll have to wait and see where things will go now. Reactive vs. proactive? Now that is the question...

E

Last edited:

evergreen

On the Ice
How cool, evergreen! Enjoy the show and report back what it was like!

With Yoshida Brothers in Kobe: https://twitter.com/javierfernandez/status/745491040874856448

With Miki on a bus to Nagano: https://twitter.com/M1K1_ANDO/status/745491702182383616

What came to mind later was that hopefully they will do the right decisions about the choices of technical difficulty from the start. There are certainly benefits for maintaining the status quo, but, at the same time, changing things mid-season (again) seems not such a good idea either. Hanyu chose to be proactive and changed things last season, but I guess we'll have to wait and see where things will go now. Reactive vs. proactive? Now that is the question...

E

Thank you, eppen, I am sure I will write a repo when I come back, but no photo I am afraid, because of the no-camera rule for Japanese shows

If skaters need to include new jumps in the upcoming season, they usually have to practice them in summer so as the technical layout are ready when the season begins, it is very rare and almost impossible to include new jumps mid-season. Probably Brian Orser will make Javi try new jumps when he resumes his training in August. It is better to get him ready earlier than later.

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
I´m very glad that Javi will keep "Malagueña", hopefully we see it as a faultless performance (especially at Worlds). It's a wonderful program and with some changes even better!!! With "Elvis" freeskate I´m not enthusiastic, as I cannot see his kind of music (whether slow or rock) to contribute in creating an awesome choreography. But I´ll keep an open mind though:) and wait until seeing it from GP. Anyway better that program now for the coming season and not for the Olympic one...

Looking forward to your Nagano reports, Evergreen! Have fun! WOW, Nagano, where Ilia Kulik won his Olympic gold medal in 1998...

Last edited:

Crossover

All Hail the Queen
Record Breaker
Keeping Malaguena as a short program is kind of expected because he managed to make a clean performance only once last season. The program is so well choreographed, so I'm glad he decides to utilize the program. I wished he performed it at Pyeongchang though. Elvis Medley...not so much cheer to be honest.

evergreen

On the Ice
Looking forward to your Nagano reports, Evergreen! Have fun! WOW, Nagano, where Ilia Kulik won his Olympic gold medal in 1998...

Thank you Jaana, I am sure I will, two of the three medalists of 98' Olympics men event would be there for the show, Kulik & Candeloro, super cool :cool:, though the venue is the big hat, not the white rink host the figure skating events back in 98, but I cannot ask more :laugh:

xibsuarz

Record Breaker
Thank you, eppen, I am sure I will write a repo when I come back, but no photo I am afraid, because of the no-camera rule for Japanese shows

If skaters need to include new jumps in the upcoming season, they usually have to practice them in summer so as the technical layout are ready when the season begins, it is very rare and almost impossible to include new jumps mid-season. Probably Brian Orser will make Javi try new jumps when he resumes his training in August. It is better to get him ready earlier than later.

Well, he said in the TSL interview that he occasionally tries and lands the 4Lo but he only does it for fun and doesn't have plans to include another quad since he said it's too much work for very little reward. He said that the point difference between a 4Lo and a 4S is not that much. However, perhaps he may want to add a second 4T instead of a second 3A...
Brian gives their skaters a lot of freeway on what they want to do with their technical content. He said that he didn't come up with the idea of the 2nd quad in the SP and the 2nd 3A in the FS, Javi did. He said that imposing things on his students doesn't work and he wants them to take the initiative themselves.

BTW, I hope you have a lot of fun in Nagano! As it will be the last stop, perhaps they will do something special for the finale or something :luv17:

Last edited: