Jeweling Edea E Guards! | Golden Skate

Jeweling Edea E Guards!

Vladik

On the Ice
Just wondering if there’s any specific glues I could use to add a couple rhinestones to my Edea E Guards? I know they’re a rubbery material so I’m just wondering what glue is most secure and would work best!

My friend is planning to get the same guards that I have (Grey Edea E Guards), and I want to be able to distinguish between the two of our guards so they don’t get mixed up. So I thought I could add a couple gems!

Thanks!!

tstop4me

Final Flight
Country
United-States
* I would strongly recommend that you use a marker or paint to decorate and distinguish your guards.

* But if you absolutely insist on rhinestones, drill at least a shallow recess in the guard for each rhinestone. Then use E-6000 glue. For best adhesion, pressure needs to be applied (via a clamp or weight) to hold the rhinestone against the guard. And maintain the pressure for a full 72 hrs at normal room temp for maximum cure and bond before you use the guards.

Vladik

On the Ice
* I would strongly recommend that you use a marker or paint to decorate and distinguish your guards.

* But if you absolutely insist on rhinestones, drill at least a shallow recess in the guard for each rhinestone. Then use E-6000 glue. For best adhesion, pressure needs to be applied (via a clamp or weight) to hold the rhinestone against the guard. And maintain the pressure for a full 72 hrs at normal room temp for maximum cure and bond before you use the guards.
Thank you so much! Why do you recommend I don’t use rhinestones? I’m not certain yet, I could use paint or other alternatives!

tstop4me

Final Flight
Country
United-States
I see skaters who carry guards (in their hands or in the outer pocket of a bag) and skate to a hockey box to stow their gear. At times they drop the guards on the ice. If the rhinestones are not attached properly, they can pop off onto the ice. If you don't ever carry your guards over the ice, then there's no problem.

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
I'm going to agree here with @tstop4me, you cannot risk getting rhinestones anywhere people will be walking or skating with blades. Even on the off-ice black rubber mats flooring in the rink, it's not safe. Just don't do it.

Ic3Rabbit

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Why would someone want to do that? Those charms are just as dangerous, even more so to try to walk on guards with those attached and the charms are usually BIGGER and wider than the guard itself.

Minz

It's not over till it's over
Medalist
Country
United-States
In addition to the potential safety hazard, the process of rhinestones will most likely be a giant mess. Without the proper tools, drilling anything into rubber is going to be quite a pain and so will trying to not make a giant mess with the glue. Once you buy the proper clamps, the rhinestones, and the glue, let alone a drill, (if you don't already have one) you might as well have just gotten a new pair of guards in a different color.

NanaPat

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
If the eguards has a hole somewhere, or if a small hole could be made, perhaps a Sparkly Keychain Charm or something like that could attached instead.
I would worry about the sparkles detaching from the charm. Same problem as with putting rhinestones directly on the guards, but with no assurance about the quality of the glue or the installation.

If there are holes, would it be possible to tie colorful yarn on the guards in a way that would be both functional and secure?

Minz

It's not over till it's over
Medalist
Country
United-States
@Vladik the simplest option if you just want to be able to differentiate your guards from your friend's is to just write your initials somewhere on them with a Sharpie. When they eventually wear off you can just re-write them. That way you don't need to worry about anything falling off and/or becoming a safety hazard to anyone.

Ic3Rabbit

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
@Vladik the simplest option if you just want to be able to differentiate your guards from your friend's is to just write your initials somewhere on them with a Sharpie. When they eventually wear off you can just re-write them. That way you don't need to worry about anything falling off and/or becoming a safety hazard to anyone.
You can even use the metallic sharpies to do this! @Vladik

Vladik

On the Ice
Thank you guys for all your advice! Sorry for the stupid idea, didn’t know it’d spark so much controversy lol.
I do briefly carry my guards over the ice and even if I didn’t, I now understand it wouldn’t be a good idea anyway.

I might stick to the metallic sharpie idea! Thank you so much!
Hope you guys all have a great week!!! :biggrin:

Ic3Rabbit

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Thank you guys for all your advice! Sorry for the stupid idea, didn’t know it’d spark so much controversy lol.
I do briefly carry my guards over the ice and even if I didn’t, I now understand it wouldn’t be a good idea anyway.

Not stupid, you just didn't know. Now you do! :)

tstop4me

Final Flight
Country
United-States

Yes, please don't feel bad. It was certainly a reasonable idea; just had some collateral issues you weren't aware of. We're here to learn, exchange information, and support one another. Also, the lead-in to this forum reads:

Figure Skating: The Lutz Corner​

Post thread

The Lutz Corner features technical info and references as well as open discussion on advice, understand scoring, and personal progress in the sport of Figure Skating.
There is no such thing as a "stupid question" :)

Of course, on occasion, there are stupid answers. :biggrin: