Jimmy Ma in for another three seasons | Golden Skate

Jimmy Ma in for another three seasons

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Golden Skate caught up with USA's Jimmy Ma in Sheffield, Great Britain, at 2022 MK John Wilson Trophy on Nov 13, 2022. The 27-year-old from New York shares the relationship dynamics with new coaches Alexei Letov and Olga Ganicheva, his new programs, and goals for the rest of the season. The skater has rediscovered his love for the sport and is committed for the next three seasons!

surimi

Congrats to Sota, #10 in World Standings!
Record Breaker
Good for him, and fingers crossed! If Bychenko and Brezina could skate in singles until 30+, why not Ma. The audience love him and his lively interactions with them. I think he might be the only skater who shouts something back when shouted at?

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Jimmy is a delightful interview. I like hearing from someone who is an adult, with honest opinions, and clarity about why he is in the sport:

Paraphrasing: Even if I skate like trash, I want people to see the joy I have in skating, If I only get as far as Nats, that's OK, as long as I can show that joy.

And keeping that "crackhead energy" for the important things:LOL: (you need to watch to learn more...)

A man who can cook Chinese and Italian. Moonvine is a lucky gal. :biggrin:

Weathergal

Medalist
A married person can’t skate? I don’t see why not!

Look at World Champion Alexa Knierim, for example. She’s been married for several years!
True - I guess there's always the off season. Ha-ha!

I'll always remember Jimmy's "Turn Down for What?" program. It was such fun and really put him on a lot of people's radars. I love that he's true to himself and seems very clear on who he is and why he's skating. I also love that his ISU bio lists "annoying Amber Glenn" as one of his hobbies. Plus cooking and cleaning - that is awesome. moonvine I think you have a keeper LOL

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Jimmy is a delightful interview. I like hearing from someone who is an adult, with honest opinions, and clarity about why he is in the sport:

Paraphrasing: Even if I skate like trash, I want people to see the joy I have in skating, If I only get as far as Nats, that's OK, as long as I can show that joy.

And keeping that "crackhead energy" for the important things:LOL: (you need to watch to learn more...)

A man who can cook Chinese and Italian. Moonvine is a lucky gal. :biggrin:
I do love my fiancé. But I have to say I think he is fooling himself just a little. He does care about how he skates. He was NOT happy with his performance at Nationals last year.
In another interview, which of course I now cannot find, he said he peaked too early last year. I tend to agree - I think he peaked at Golden Spin.
So he was planning to (and has) skated last this year. Last year he was pretty clearly the #4 US man and behind Nathan, Vincent and Jason that’s not a terrible place to be.
Much though I love him, he just has not been skating well this season. I’m not sure what is going on. I will love him if he comes in dead last at Nationals, but he would not be happy with that at all.
Of course I am delighted to hear he will be skating for another 3 years (at least!!!!)

yelyoh

Medalist
Country
United-States
I'm so glad I listened to this. Funny when I was about his age I was cooking Italian food (sono Italiano Americano) at a friend's house and she said the most relaxed by far she had ever witnessed me was when I was cooking; I can completely relate to Jimmy on that count. He's such a down to earth introspective self aware young guy. I liked listening to him discuss his process. I'm sure he's a good person and friend to those in his life. I think it's between him and Camden for that third spot at Worlds this year. And since Camden has already been there...

Last edited:

Sai Bon

Final Flight
Country
New-Zealand
I'm so glad I listened to this. Funny when I was about his age I was cooking Italian food (sono Italiano Americano) at a friend's house and she said the most relaxed by far she had ever witnessed me was when I was cooking; I can completely relate to Jimmy on that count. He's such a down to earth introspective self aware young guy. I liked listening to him discuss his process. I'm sure he's a good person and friend to those in his life. I think it's between him and Camden for that third spot at Worlds this year. And since Camden has already been there...
Jacinda Ardern, the NZ Prime Minister, also said she cooks to relax. That's what she will be doing during the holidays. I find kneading bread dough relaxing, but can rarely find time to do it.

yelyoh

Medalist
Country
United-States
Jacinda Ardern, the NZ Prime Minister, also said she cooks to relax. That's what she will be doing during the holidays. I find kneading bread dough relaxing, but can rarely find time to do it.
I have so much admiration for Jacinda Ardern. And for making bread. I bake a lot also.