Jin: I want to bring out something perfect | Golden Skate

Jin: I want to bring out something perfect

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Jin, who withdrew from the Grand Prix Final and Chinese Nationals due to ankle injuries was second after the short program. To prepare for this event, he tried his best to recover and ensure that he could deliver.
“The injury was the worst I ever had,” recalled Jin. “I injured both feet and I had to get injections in both feet. I lay in bed for a few days and I never was in so much pain because of an injury. But after that, I gradually recovered and worked really hard to come back. I trained the hardest I could, and I think now I am recovered 90 percent. I was able to give an almost perfect performance today. The result of this competition gives me confidence to challenge myself to give two perfect performances in Pyeongchang.”
Jin’s “Star Wars” routine featured a total of four clean quads: Lutz, Salchow, and two toes.
On the upcoming rule changes regarding cutting down the long program to four minutes and one less jump, Jin has this to say: “I think one jump less means it gets a little bit easier and it gives me the chance to bring out more perfect performances. It means you can focus on higher quality and it gives me the chance to up the ante and increase the difficulty I have.”
In addition to his quad jumps, the two-time Worlds bronze medalist also landed five triples and earned a level four on all of his spins and footwork too earn 200.78 points for a first-place finish in the free skate and overall (300.95).

The 20-year-old is now headed to his first Olympics and isn’t really focusing too much on his placement.
“My goal is to bring out perfect performances, even better than today’s performance,” said Jin. “I want to bring out something perfect so that my efforts pay off.”
“For every top skater doing quads in practice is not that difficult, we all can put out good performances,” said the skater from Harbin regarding skaters reducing the number of quads in their program. “But when it comes to competition, the mindset and the mental condition really comes into play. For us, one less quad means that we can put out better performances to get the result that we want. Moving forward, I know what I am able to do, so I would like to maximize my efforts to put out my best performances.”

More...

Last edited:

da96103

Record Breaker
This part of his quote:

For us, one less quad means that we can put out better performances to get the result that we want. Moving forward, I know what I am able to do, so I would like to maximize my efforts to put out my best performances.”

One less jumping pass doesn't mean one less quad. It means one less triple rather.

Added: Shoma predicted it correctly. He said in his article

“With one jump less in the program, I am sure that most of the skaters are going to say they’re going to take out their easiest jump,” speculated Uno in regard to the upcoming rule.

noskates

Record Breaker
I thoroughly enjoyed Jin's freeskate. He has such a great personality and brings it out on the ice. Shoma Uno is fabulous but quite a bit more serious. Jin made me smile.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
The costume in the picture in the article looked more beautiful than in the youtube stream. I can the white spots representing stars in the galaxy.

I noticed the same thing rewatching his free skate this morning. I :love: the new costume!

yume

🍉
Record Breaker
He really worked on his basics. There are real improvments. I was impressed not only by his jumps but by his spins too.