Joubert's reaction to Lambiel's retirement | Golden Skate

Joubert's reaction to Lambiel's retirement

i thought this part was quite interesting, too.

In private, however, Joubert is also quick to recognize that his own personality also plays a role into his withdrawal. "When everything is going alright, when there is no problem, it is just impossible to stop me," he explained. "But, then, when there is a tiny sand stone that comes in my way, nothing goes right anymore."

It would be too bad that all the work Brian has done last summer falls into pieces just because of that problem [he can't get his blades sharpened just right]," Jean-Christophe Simond, who coaches Joubert, added. "He is in great shape, once we solve this everything will be back to normal."

"Also, you know how things go," Joubert said later. "One will pretend that the blades are okay, and that the problem is a mental one; to which I will reply that it is just the contrary. It is really frustrating, because everything gets rotten...," he added with a nod.

At the moment, Joubert is changing his blades over and over, trying to find back his feelings on the ice ...

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
I don´t understand :scratch:

It just irks me that Brian can make all of these reasons for why he isn't skating perfectly - or isn't quite ready, but then he turns around and puts down his competitors when they have major injuries that sideline them for a season or for a career. It just kills me.

calica

Final Flight
ohh Thank you ;)
I did not understood his previous comment, but honestly I do not know very well that I had to see the double standard, especially because I interpreted his "not understand" (on the withdrawal of Lambiel) has not that he did not understand the reasons but the time . That is, I sincerely not understand his withdrawal at this precise moment, and not at the end of last season.
I had to read their lengthy interviews later to see what has motivated him. :yes::yes:

Buttercup

Record Breaker
You said it! I used to be a fan of Brian, but his negative comments this year of Jeff and Stephane have really turned me off!

What goes around comes around, I guess.
What negative comments appear in the article? What double standards? Is Brian Joubert not allowed to say he's surprised that two top skaters retired seemingly out of the blue, and that it'll be really different without them? What kind of comment were you expecting?

He also talks about how difficult competing can be for him from a mental standpoint. Should even that be used as a sign that he is a mean-spirited whining loser, as some people seem to think he is? He's being honest about himself and the issues he's dealing with. He's not making an excuse - these are the kinds of things that lead many athletes to work with sports psychologists, which might be good for him to try as well.

Last edited:

museksk8r

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
What negative comments appear in the article? What double standards? Is Brian Joubert not allowed to say he's surprised that two top skaters retired seemingly out of the blue, and that it'll be really different without them? What kind of comment were you expecting?

He also talks about how difficult competing can be for him from a mental standpoint. Should even that be used as a sign that he is a mean-spirited whining loser, as some people seem to think he is? He's being honest about himself and the issues he's dealing with. He's not making an excuse - these are the kinds of things that lead many athletes to work with sports psychologists, which might be good for him to try as well.

Let's see . . . he feels he is entitled to winning every figure skating competition in existence. After several months, he still has not gotten over losing to Jeffrey Buttle, saying he doesn't do any difficulty in his programs and that he never would have won Worlds again. As far as Stephane Lambiel's injury and retirement, his comments come off to me as judgmental and unsympathetic.
I'm speaking of articles and threads circulating skating forums, not the particular article that is in this thread.

Buttercup

Record Breaker
he feels he is entitled to winning every figure skating competition in existence. After several months, he still has not gotten over losing to Jeffrey Buttle, saying he doesn't do any difficulty in his programs and that he never would have won Worlds again. As far as Stephane Lambiel's injury and retirement, his comments come off to me as judgmental and unsympathetic.
I agree he could have expressed himself better after Worlds. I don't speak French so I don't know if he said Jeffrey Buttle didn't do anything difficult or that he didn't do the hardest elements. The former is untrue, but the latter, I would argue, is true to some extent - and I'm not just talking about quads. Buttle won the title because his execution was excellent, not because of unusually difficult content. The stars pretty much aligned for him at Worlds: two perfect programs plus mistakes by everyone else.

Since Joubert mentioned two other skaters he considered serious candidates for the gold prior to Worlds, I don't think you can argue he feels entitled above all skaters. But let's agree to disagree on this one - I don't think we're likely to convert one another's way of thinking.

One last thing. I feel we (and yes, I've been at fault, too) are trying to analyze Joubert's thoughts, behavior and even his personality based on bits and pieces of things he's said in French, which for those of us who do not understand the language is basically an abbreviated Google translator version of his views, or on interviews in English, which is not his first language. I'm not sure that's really fair.

calica

Final Flight
One last thing. I feel we (and yes, I've been at fault, too) are trying to analyze Joubert's thoughts, behavior and even his personality based on bits and pieces of things he's said in French, which for those of us who do not understand the language is basically an abbreviated Google translator version of his views, or on interviews in English, which is not his first language. I'm not sure that's really fair.

Apart from the fact that you can not say anything about the personality of a person based on quotations or "sports" interviews , we must make clear that Brian and Steph are friends. Sportingl rivals but friends. Many times our passions to a certain skater makes us believe that "the other" is bad and who says things to hurt, but one thing is what the fans think and another reality. :biggrin:
If we add that Brian is very honest and vehement, and that to the press likes the polemic , since already we have discussion. :chorus:

The skating will are very boring if there were no these small discussions, ugly costumes, without bad judgind .... :laugh:

libby

Match Penalty
we must make clear that Brian and Steph are friends. Sportingl rivals but friends. :

What are you basing this statement on? I have never read or heard either of them say anything that would lead anyone to believe they consider each other "friends". :scratch:

Last edited:

SailorGalaxia518

Record Breaker
Well here I go with my opinion.

I agree with the fact about Joubert at 2008 Worlds. I was shocked and a little ticked off about his statements over Jeffrey Buttle. Buttle just proves that you can win World gold without the quad which was what ticked Joubert off since he and several other men do the quad. If Joubert she be angry at everybody it should be at the ISU for the simple fact that the quad IMO is devalued.

I believe the quad is worth around 10 pts and if you do a clean triple lutz-triple toe you get pretty much around the same points and more depending on the GOE.

Now on Stephane's retirement. I think Brian is just unhappy that he lost two key competitors that could have push him. Brian likes when his competitiors are on his heels and pushing him. That's what motivates him to do well. Evgeny Plushenko as well as stephane did that and it works well for Brian. As I said before Brian likes it when he has a buch of guys that he knows that can beat him, push him to the limit.

I am probably going to feel like Elisabeth Hasselbeck during the political talks at the table :laugh::laugh:

Buttercup

Record Breaker
I think Brian is just unhappy that he lost two key competitors that could have push him. Brian likes when his competitiors are on his heels and pushing him. That's what motivates him to do well. Evgeny Plushenko as well as stephane did that and it works well for Brian. As I said before Brian likes it when he has a buch of guys that he knows that can beat him, push him to the limit.
As I see it, elite level athletes usually want to compete against the best people and to really challenge themselves. I think it's good for figure skating for there to be skaters who can push each other to improve and make the sport/art better as a result.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker

I can only speak for myself, I am not just using this article to base my opinion. I'm using the last few years of his talking in the media. I jumped on the same comment that Mathman did in this thread to point out the double standard. I am not disagreeing with Brian - other skaters have had issues due to skate blades - but he expects me the viewer/reader to be understanding when it comes to his skating... but anyone else is just making excuses. THAT'S where the double standard lies, IMHO.

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
i guess Brian will always be like Manny Rameriez. Very talented and a great athlete, but always manages to say something controversial and never kid themselves about how good they are!

antmanb

Record Breaker
Buttle just proves that you can win World gold without the quad which was what ticked Joubert off since he and several other men do the quad. If Joubert she be angry at everybody it should be at the ISU for the simple fact that the quad IMO is devalued.

But truth be told, it has nothing to do with the points awarded to the quad and everything to do with what Joubert missed in his program that lost him the marks. Jeff skated his program as planned with all of the elements Joubert (from memory) had one combination and another that was 2A/1T. He rushed through some of his spins not completing the enhancements required for higher levels ( i think one of his spins was only level 1).

Ant

NatachaHatawa

Final Flight
As someone who has been following Brian Joubert for many years, and who is French so understands him perfectly well, here's what I can say about him:

a) He admires Stephane and respects him as an adversary, which explains his reaction to his retirement.
b) Brian hates the way the new system doesn't focuss all that more on jumps, although he has said that he think's it's good that steps sequences and spins are more important than before.
c) The reason for this is that Brian is first and foremost an athlete who always takes risks and believes in pushing the limits. He has a completely different approach to Jeff, whose skating, I think it's fair to say, Brian views as tacticaly good, but too easy.
c) Brian has a bad temper (for all those who hadn't guessed). Because of this, he says what he thinks.
d) Although he's honest, sometimes Brian's comments can be rather over-the-top and unfair, as he doesn't take time to think or analyse things.

Yes Brian can have some tough comments on his fellow competitors, but I don't know why everyone is criticising his reaction to Stephane's retirement. If anything it showed that he thought Stephane as a serious contender and respected him for it. There wasn't anything nasty in this particular comment.

To pick up on previous comments, undoubtly Brian will feel lost this season, at least at the beginning as he won't have any clear contenders to fight with, except maybe daisuke, depending on how the coach change went. Mentally Brian will have to adapt to the idea of his main contenders being people who previously were looking for bronze not gold medals, new, unexpected skaters or wild cards, a situation which has never suited Brian.

Hsuhs

Record Breaker
but I don't know why everyone is criticising his reaction to Stephane's retirement
Not everyone, there is geography involved. Or so I thought.

Brian has a bad temper
He does? At least not when it comes to fans. He's friendly, he's unbelievably patient and kind and all, even if it's pretty late and it's been a long day & a bad SP, and there is a car waiting for him outside. Not being a fan, I was impressed to see him like that on more than one occasion.

Last edited: