Joy in skating | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Joy in skating

Weathergal

Medalist
Midori Ito when she landed her 3A (and other big jumping passes) had just the biggest smile on her face. Definitely someone who loved to skate. And you loved to watch the joy in her skating.

And in her late 40s, she was competing at the Adult Skating comp at Nebelhorn in 2018. Props to her! Don't know if she's still competing, but I wouldn't be surprised.

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Another participant in the adult skating world who was a lifelong example of joy on ice.

Gary Beacom.:)

Here he is at 59 :clap: competing in Nebelhorn Masters:

And of course his classic as a pro "I'm Your Man":

ladyjane

Medalist
Country
Netherlands
Good to see that programme in Obersdorf @el henry. I read about it at the time in a magazine that made mention of it because 1) he was the first adult skater to get more than 100 points for a FS, and 2) he was accompanied by Aljona Savchenko. As some of us may recall, Gary choreographed her and Massot's FS in their first season together for Germany. Got them some results too.

His 'I'm your man' is a real classic. I really enjoyed watching it again, and of course his joy in executing it. Those moves!

He even enjoys doing 'figures' because I know he also takes part in competitions that focus on those (yes, they exist). His figures are very difficult to execute, but he's a master of the blade!

Indeed, a lifelong example of joy on ice!

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
"My" Todd as a pro! Yes, he has a very serious persona in most of his Olympic eligible competitive programs, but watch him in his pro/show programs like "Always Look on the Bright Side of Life" (from "Spamalot"), "Let Me Entertain You" (he skated to it in SOI).

Last edited:

ladyjane

Medalist
Country
Netherlands
"My" Todd as a pro! Yes, he has a very serious persona in most of his Olympic eligible competitive programs, but watch him in his pro/show programs like "Always Look on the Bright Side of Life" (from "Spamalot"), "Let me Entertain You" (he skated to it in SOI).
Serious persona or not, it did look like he was doing what he wanted to do, he enjoyed showing off his prowess and skating (except for some moments of frustration like falling on a 3A, and then at the end of the programme have another go, and then succeeding). He had a beautiful exhibition at the 1998 Olympics too.

Matthew

On the Ice
Good to see that programme in Obersdorf @el henry. I read about it at the time in a magazine that made mention of it because 1) he was the first adult skater to get more than 100 points for a FS, and 2) he was accompanied by Aljona Savchenko. As some of us may recall, Gary choreographed her and Massot's FS in their first season together for Germany. Got them some results too.

His 'I'm your man' is a real classic. I really enjoyed watching it again, and of course his joy in executing it. Those moves!

He even enjoys doing 'figures' because I know he also takes part in competitions that focus on those (yes, they exist). His figures are very difficult to execute, but he's a master of the blade!

Indeed, a lifelong example of joy on ice!
Here, he is skating the Beacom blossom (figure):

And, here, he is Beethoven:

elbkup

Power without conscience is a savage weapon
Medalist
Country
United-States
Life long joy for sure..
Kurt Browning
Born To Move..:dance3:

Last edited:

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
And what a 2A it was!! Absolutely huge...
Yes! And she was able to recently do level 4 spins at those competitions!

I would not be surprised if Midori did a double axel at 50 or even 60. She's the Oksana Chusovitina of figure skating. Just such a tremendous athlete with powerful technique that stands the test of time. So inspiring. Can't wait to see her at another adult competition!

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
This article about Josefin Taljegard is all about enjoying skating: https://www.isu.org/figure-skating/...blossoms-brightly-on-the-ice?templateParam=15 . Published on the ISU website. I've also posted it elsewhere on Golden Skate.

This article has fulfilled its purpose. I do not watch much of the ladies, and I watched very little of the ladies at Worlds this year.

But reading this article and learning of her admirable approach to skating:

“I actually feel because I took that time off, I'm still skating. If I hadn't stopped and reflected about what else I can do in life, I would have just continued in the same routine. Now I feel that I can still do this, because I have a more positive mindset and it's not life and death, if I fail at a jump. I take it a little bit more with ease and because of that, I can enjoy it so much more. And that's why I'm still doing it, because I enjoy it and I have fun with it. I think that shows.”

She will be added to my list of the few ladies I watch:)

skylark

Gazing at a Glorious Great Lakes sunset
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I'm resuscitating this thread, because I find myself returning over and over to watch Riku Miura/Ryuichi Kihara's Worlds SP to "Hallelujah."

I have loved this team for their joy since I (and the rest of the larger skating world) first saw their skates at 2019 NHK. At that event, what was so refreshing and engaging about them was their joy -- and surprise -- at performing so well.

This year, they've progressed very fast. Just as an indication, they bested Knierim/Frazier in the SP at WTT. And their Worlds SP was only .3 behind K/F and .6 behind Cain-Gribble/Leduc.

But the reason I want to see the SP again and again is because of the love and joy on Ryuichi's face. He puts his heart and soul into skating. I may be projecting, but I think he's also so happy to have found such a perfect partner for him. He's 28, which is no spring chicken for a pairs man, given that it's not easy lifting a 90-100 pound girl multiple times every day, and time takes its toll. And before Riku, he'd already put in 6 years with other partners, which had already won him 4 Japanese championships.

In what I saw with this year's programs, Riku's expressions complement Ryuichi's very nicely. But I watch him, because of Sheer Joy and Pure Happiness.

ladyjane

Medalist
Country
Netherlands
Oh yes @skylark! Their SP is wonderful (as you say they seem to glorify in the performance), but I like their FS as well. They do exude joy, both of them, but Ryuichi Kihara especially. The only time I saw when he didnt, was straight after the FS at WTT when he actually seemed to be in some pain, and certainly very tired. But that doesn't take away from them really enjoying their skating!

Sharon Whitlock

Rinkside
I agree with Janet Lynn, Midori Ito, and Gary Beacom, although I admit I had forgotten all about Gary Beacom! But wow, was he fun to watch. And Janet always had a beautiful smile, and still does, except when she is talking about the IJS! And Midori Ito--thinking about her and remembering her first appearance at the Olympics give ME joy!

I love watching synchronized skating teams at all levels--you get Joy x 16 (or sometimes a few less) when a team really loves their program and skates it well--you can see that love and joy on their faces as well as in their skating. Joy makes people fearless, and makes skaters fly.

BlissfulSynergy

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
This is a very worthwhile topic @ladyjane. What came to mind immediately for me is the OIP clip of Danny & Chelsea exuding joy training their new sp, and seeming so happy with their new partnership.

In addition, I came across the below linked article on Medium, from a skating aficionado who became a skater. She describes what she learned from participating in the sport. I didn't know where else to post this:

ladyjane

Medalist
Country
Netherlands
Dear @BlissfulSynergy , this is the perfect place to put such an article. She actually reflects my own feelings about falling (as an 'old' adult skater, I know exactly how she feels, the older you get the more fearful you are, even though you have fallen often enough without real problems). I was pleased to read it.

And yes, that clip of Danny and Chelsea made me feel joyful too! This is what the joy of skating is all about!

BlissfulSynergy

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Yes @ladyjane! Thanks for starting this thread topic. 🥰

Another skater I've always enjoyed watching for the joy and passion he exudes, is Sean Rabbitt!

Additionally, Michelle Kwan of course, plus Paul Wylie and Scott Williams. Petr Barna's Euro's performance when he won in 1989 as I recall, was so inspired. He was just as delightful in person when I met him several years later. Todd Eldredge is also one of the kindest skaters I ever met. Plus, Jason Brown, who is so incredibly sweet, genuine, kind and personable to everyone he meets.

Two of my favorite, iconic moments in the sport beyond MK moments are Rudy Galindo's reaction to winning the men's U.S. National championship in 1996, and Todd Eldredge placing his gold medal around his mother's neck spontaneously at rinkside during the 1996 Worlds victory celebration. 😃

Last edited: