Just a thought on Johnny | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Just a thought on Johnny

jennylovskt

Medalist
Sorry to interrupt the current discussion but someone mentioned Johnny would be better off with TT. Isn't she busy with Alexei Yagudin, as he is apparently preparing for a comeback?

I believe that Alexei Yagudin has already announced that he will give up the idea of coming back because of his health.

GoldMedalist

Match Penalty
ETA: I take it back .... they have to do a spin in one position, and the USp takes care of that, so your suggestion of changing feet is definitely the best one! I think, though, if he substituted a FCCoSp for his CoSp, he'd get more points.

FCCoSp4 can take a lot of time and energy for just an extra half point, though. If I were planning his whole program out it would go as such:

4T
3A + 3T
3F
3A
FSSp
CoSp
----------
3Lz + 3T
3Lo
CUSp
2A + 2T + 2Lo
CiSt
3S
SlSt
CCoSp

daisies

Rinkside
FCCoSp4 can take a lot of time and energy for just an extra half point, though.
(That extra half point would given him the gold!)

If I were planning his whole program out it would go as such:

4T
3A + 3T
3F
3A
FSSp
CoSp
----------
3Lz + 3T
3Lo
CUSp
2A + 2T + 2Lo
CiSt
3S
SlSt
CCoSp

Interesting. More jumps after the half-way mark, repeating the 3T instead of the 3Lz, and a three-jump combo incorporating the 2A. Have you done the math? How big is the difference?

GoldMedalist

Match Penalty
(That extra half point would given him the gold!)

Yeah, but simply changing feet for the last position of the Upright spin would have given him that extra half-point too.

Interesting. More jumps after the half-way mark, repeating the 3T instead of the 3Lz, and a three-jump combo incorporating the 2A. Have you done the math? How big is the difference?

In terms of base values for doing a second 3-3 instead of a second 3Lz, the difference is between the 3Lz and 2T (his current plan), 7.3 points, vs. a 3T and 2A, 7.5 points.

That alone is not a big difference, however, Johnny hasn't been consistent with doing the 3Lz + 2T + 2Lo, so I figure having his 3-jump combination as 2A + 2T + 2Lo would work better.

I moved the 3F to the first part of the program because that's his least consistent Triple. He shouldn't be planning this jump as his final jump element, and in combination too! The 3S is so easy for him that he could consistently do it beautifully at the end of the program and out of some kind of nice transition move. It's almost a wasted element in his program right now. Doing the jump at the end of the program, right before the straight-line footwork, and out of some kind of transition move would just be great!

Including the bonus for having more jumps in the later half of the program, my plan would be worth .72 more in base value. Still not that much BUT it's enough to make a difference and the big thing about my plan is that it would almost surely be more consistent for him. He'll be far less likely to mess up the Flip and leave out combination jumps that he REALLY needs to do.

I really don't worry about Johnny, and I believe he doesn't give way to the judging. I don't particularly like his development since before he went into the boards but he is still an exceptional skater.

Joe

Vodka Shot

On the Ice
No offense, it's just my taste. I feel he is a "bad influence". I have no reason to attack his friends of any sort. Just don't like him mention it every time.
You think his best friend is a bad influence on him? I've never got that impression. I guess maybe if he was influencing Johnny to party too much or something, but I've never read or seen anything to make me think he did that.
I really have to wonder about how sheltered someone's life has been if this is the kind of stuff that shocks them.
:rofl:I know. Honestly, I'm like really *that* is offensive to you. These people must go through their every day offended or shocked about something.

Eddie Lee

On the Ice
well, If I may add something, like someone pointed out (and it is just my opinion) both Yagudin and Plushenko ( World and Olympic champions) openly said they didn't like each other, although they repected each other as athletes, and they were representing both a country. It's not a team sport or tag team, it's more like each country having 2 or 3 individuals representing it. If Johnny doesn't like Evan, that's his thing, and if Evan doesn't like Johnny that's his thing too. I think Johnny gave an honest answer (applied to his own view), which to some may seem like a shocker. Do you want him lo lie and say that he respects Evan as an athlete and also likes him as a person? How can he like him as a person if they are not friends? Was he harsh? maybe, but really don't take it so personal... unless you are Evan, that is.

I believe both were named to the World Team. Team is the right word, isn't it? Wasn't that why they were in St Paul? To contest for the World Team? They both made the team. So aren't they, shouldn't they be, team mates?

GoldMedalist

Match Penalty
I believe both were named to the World Team. Team is the right word, isn't it? Wasn't that why they were in St Paul? To contest for the World Team? They both made the team. So aren't they, shouldn't they be, team mates?

Team is not the correct word, no. "Group" would be the correct word.

That doesn't sound as good, though.

I believe there have been other 'off-the-wall' comments by other skaters. I don't think it's an 'age' thing. I am sure it is a 'fan' thing.

Joe

ranjake

Final Flight
for me, the reason i cared ( a little) is that i am a johnny fan. if i wasn't a fan, i couldn't care less about what he says. did any of you see him on the "kathy griffin show a while back? he was really cute and funny on there...anyway, i just want to watch johnny skte, and can easily mute the fluff pieces!

jennylovskt

Medalist
You think his best friend is a bad influence on him? I've never got that impression. I guess maybe if he was influencing Johnny to party too much or something, but I've never read or seen anything to make me think he did that.

It's really hard to make the connection between his beautiful, classic, classy image on ice and the coarse language, swear that kind of stuff off ice. These kind of stuff are the main tones of his best friend, and most of the posters on MySpace. (Yes, I was interested in Johnny Weir enough to go in there to read.:))More over, his friend has indicated clearly that the winning (for Johnny's skating) is not important. The important thing is to leave marks. Here he goes, to leave the marks everywhere. Johnny's journal in his official website has made a little change too from his usual classic, caring, sweet style. Who knows, maybe there is nothing to do with his friends. It's just the direction Johnny wants to go into.

Ready for the back fire for my post.:biggrin:

tjs

Rinkside

THANK YOU

MY POINT EXACTLY.... TEAMMATES REPRESENTING THE U.S.A

seafoam

Rinkside
First of all, I want to say that I’m not in any way trying to be a bother because I know the age thing pisses some people off.
I think the majority of the people who are offended/shocked by what Johnny says are perhaps a bit on the older side. I can’t imagine the younger fans, or anyone whose ever read perezhilton or watched MTV for that matter, would be appalled by something like the truth booth or the infamous “vodka shot snort coke…” comments. .

You may have a point, although a lot of Johnny's fans (myself included) aren't exactly spring chickens, as Johnny would say, lol.

I think it's more based on personality type than age. To make a broad generalization, Johnny's personality tends to attract the more freewheeling, irreverent types of people, who can be of any age. Perhaps the people who prefer a more traditional skater tend to be a little more conservative themselves--a group that also includes all ages. The USFSA itself is widely known to be one of the more of the conservative sports organizations, and I think it's not unfair to say that they favor Evan's approach to the sport over Johnny's.

As I've said before, out in the "real world" I've related some of Johnny's scrapes with the federation to many non-figure skating fans, and virtually all of them couldn't believe what a fuss was made about something that was (to them) so minor.

As I've said before, out in the "real world" I've related some of Johnny's scrapes with the federation to many non-figure skating fans, and virtually all of them couldn't believe what a fuss was made about something that was (to them) so minor.
ITA. Compared with the "bad boy" athletes in other sports, Johnny Weir is not in jail for shootng someone at a nightclub, he is not doing community service for beating up his latest girlfriend, he is not on drugs, he has not been suspended from the sport for taking steroids -- he didn't so much as whack anyone's knee. What's the controversy?

daisies

Rinkside
THANK YOU

MY POINT EXACTLY.... TEAMMATES REPRESENTING THE U.S.A

It's semantics. When you think "teammate," you think of people working together toward a common goal. Tom Brady and Randy Moss are teammates on the New England Patriots. They work together to win.

Johnny and Evan don't work together. They want to keep each other from winning. They are most definitely rivals, despite the fact that they represent the same country.

tjs

Rinkside
It's semantics. When you think "teammate," you think of people working together toward a common goal. Tom Brady and Randy Moss are teammates on the New England Patriots. They work together to win.

Johnny and Evan don't work together. They want to keep each other from winning. They are most definitely rivals, despite the fact that they represent the same country.

They had better both be placing at Worlds. So hence even though they compete against eachother they work as a TEAM for the USFSA to make sure they both or someone else gets to Worlds next year.