Kévin Aymoz Comes Out | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Kévin Aymoz Comes Out

Minz

It's not over till it's over
Medalist
Country
United-States
Visibility is important because not everyone will identify to the gay role models that are out there. I do not want to name anybody, but when I was growing up, there were some people out there who were out, but I couldn't identify to them...it actually made me stay in the closet even longer LOL.... and this is why I appreciate so much the effort of Carl Nassib for instance. At one point, I met some gay guys with whom I could relate... it was much later for me and only when I moved to a bigger city, got to university... so kuddos to Kévin, he can be a role model for some young guys, and thanks to everyone who is coming up with their stories....figure skaters are not as mainstream athletes as those in the big professional leagues or tennis players for instance. We need more of these guys to come out.
Yes, the more people who come out, the more acceptance it will hopefully gain.
I was just saying that it could help someone. And to me, that’s a win.

Ella339

On the Ice
Am I the only one who is really looking forward to the day when this just isn't necessary? Kevin's statement made it quite clear that he didn't really want to have to publicly "come out" and I feel very sad that he was pressured into it. Peoples' private lives should be permitted to remain just that, private. Maybe I'm a cock-eyed optimist, but I hope that one day in the not too distant future, the world gets over this obsession with gender and sexuality labels and starts seeing and treating everybody as equals and worthy of both celebration and/or anonymity as they each desire.
That's not what I'm getting from his statement at all. He merely says initially, he hadn't felt the need to come out to the general public.

But it's not like he was "in", even for strangers like us, if you were paying attention: unless my ears deceive me, he's been yelling "Marco je t'aime!!" in every one of his K&Cs for a while...

He sounds happy he did this. Good for you, Kevin! ❤️🌈

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
That's not what I'm getting from his statement at all. He merely says initially, he hadn't felt the need to come out to the general public.

But it's not like he was "in", even for strangers like us, if you were paying attention: unless my ears deceive me, he's been yelling "Marco je t'aime!!" in every one of his K&Cs for a while...

He sounds happy he did this. Good for you, Kevin! ❤️🌈

This is what I read from Kevin's statement too: he didn't feel the need to come out for himself, but he did the documentary and came out publicly for the future generations in the sport.

A tous ceux, ados, sportifs, adultes qui n’ont pas encore réussi à vivre pleinement, j’espère que ce reportage vous permettra d’être enfin vous.

To all those, teens, athletes, adults, who have not yet been able to live your life fully, I hope this story [the film] will allow you to finally be you. (translation mine)

Kevin did this on his own and for the reasons that all the other skaters have said they have come out publicly: to help others live freely.

Merci, Kevin🌈

ETA: and if anyone knows anyway for someone in the US to see "Faut qu'on parle" let me know:pray:

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Again while I am happy for the freedom for Kevin ; sad that this is news and that someone has to even come "out". I mean do I hve to come out I am straight? We should respect each other and realize what is important i the person. WHo cares who they prefer to have sex with. And really when it comes to skating - do I like their skating. Who cares about sexual preference. It is so sad or even worse when people have felt so repressed because they were scared of living who and wha they are. I wish regardless Kevin well.

JustSomeGuy

On the Ice
I mean do I hve to come out I am straight?
You know, this might be controversial but I would actually appreciate if more straight people did "come out". It would take the burden off of LGBT people to always be the ones who need to come out and make coming out not just a 'gay thing'. At least for the time being, until nobody just assumes anybody else's orientation and nobody has to come out. Kind of like cisgender people putting their pronouns in their twitter bios.

WHo cares who they prefer to have sex with
Homophobes care. And that is kind of the crux of the issue. If the only people who care about someone's orientation is people who want to make their life worse because of it then their life is going to become worse because of it. As stupid as it sounds, until nobody cares it's better that everybody cares, because the only people who care being bigots is kind of the worst case scenario. Note that "caring" doesn't mean that you have to throw a whole god damn party of even discuss the matter outside of this one specific thread, just acknowledge it and the fact that it isn't a bad thing (or an inherently good thing) to be gay, it's just a thing.

On that note, good for Kevin and all of the other skaters who've come out recently that they feel comfortable enough to do so, and in an Olympic season at that, because you know it's going to impact judging to some degree and not even necessarily maliciously, just subconsciously.

el henry

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
You know, it's funny. The "Who cares" crowd: are any of them gay, or trans, or queer, or bi? Or just straight people? (and I don't mean the I wish the world were a better place and we didn't have to care, I mean the straight out (pun intended) "don't care".)

To my fellow straight people who have said this: I don't care if you don't care:laugh:

Bravo to all the skaters, and all the athletes, who have come out during Pride month. ETA: As long as one gay or questioning child can take affirmation and hope from these statements, that is important, and worth caring about,

Happy Pride🌈

formersk8ter

On the Ice
I read the comment of soccerjc77 not as disliking it when people come out, but as hoping that everybody will be accepted as who they are and being who they are should all be normal (but correct me if I misunderstood that comment).

I've had discussions with haters who don't want LGBTplus (sorry, I always forget the latest term, plus is easy for me to include everyone) people coming out. These discussions always exhaust me and I'm straight. Imagine what it's like for LGBTplus people then! Having to explain yourself, your being, over and over and over and over etc. For many straight people this is just a topic once in a while, but for LGBTplus people this is daily life.

As long as society doesn't react normal to natural ways of life, which is not just hetero but also LGBTplus, then yes, coming out will remain important and those able to do that in public help many people and probably save lives by speaking up. I'm grateful to celebrities who come out, because they help the conversation along.
This, a thousand times THIS!

As a member of the LGBTQ+ community, a phrase I often hear (and am perhaps bothered by the most) is: "I have nothing against the LGBTQ+ community, but why do they have to shove it in my face?" Grrrrr.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Again while I am happy for the freedom for Kevin ; sad that this is news and that someone has to even come "out". I mean do I hve to come out I am straight? We should respect each other and realize what is important i the person. WHo cares who they prefer to have sex with. And really when it comes to skating - do I like their skating. Who cares about sexual preference. It is so sad or even worse when people have felt so repressed because they were scared of living who and wha they are. I wish regardless Kevin well.
1) it's not a sexual preference. gay people do NOT choose...
2) good that you seem to be tolerant and open-minded about sexuality... but it's not the case for everyone unfortunately
3) without the visibility, there won't be any progress. the fact that so many athletes are coming out in various sports right now is exactly because they feel it is necessary. They are the ones living in a world that could be more inclusive. They speak up because they think they can contribute with their visibility to help others.

Does it bother you? Maybe not.. .Does it bother some people ? Definitely so... and until it no longer bothers anyone, then people will need to come out. Violence against LGBTQ+ is still happening. Same sex couples still do not have the same rights in many cases as traditional couples. Transphobia is HUGE. Just yesterday, the Canadian government passed a bill against conversion therapy..... and 62 MPs voted AGAINST it.... IN Canada... Conversion therapies... OMG.

So, get used to it... the world is not ready and still needs coming out stories.

And yes, if you want to contribute, in your own way, to a better place for everyone, do so... Come out, as straight or whatever you are. Speaking about our differences is exactly what is needed.... whether you are handicapped, of colour, of a different orientation, first nations, etc

Last edited:

Wrenne

Rinkside
So, get used to it... the world is not ready and still needs coming out stories.

And this really is the point and we can only hope that the world will get there one day. But it is a long long way off. As others have mentioned phrases such as conversion and recruitment have been in the news in the past week due to governments internationally. And it's naive to think that there still aren't risks for people who are only being true to themselves.

But every story like Kevin's makes a difference to those who need to hear it.

CellarDweller

Ice Time
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
This, a thousand times THIS!

As a member of the LGBTQ+ community, a phrase I often hear (and am perhaps bothered by the most) is: "I have nothing against the LGBTQ+ community, but why do they have to shove it in my face?" Grrrrr.

People who say that don't realize we've had heterosexuality shoved in our faces since forever.

Love scenes in movies and TV, every TV show that featured happily married opposite sex couples. Young lovers walking around holding hands and kissing in public. Countless public proposals, engagement parties, weddings.

Yet, when we do the same thing, we're 'shoving it in their face'.

Getting back on topic, congrats to Kevin on coming out. I hope this leads to you finding greater joy in your skating.

cathlen

Team Gorgeous Cacti!
Record Breaker
Country
Poland
For people who ask why all these people are coming out? Well, because most people assume you're hetero unless you state otherwise. Maybe they're just tired of questions about their "girlfriends/boyfriends" or having to act like they're straight, because that's what people assume they are. I'm pretty darn sure majority skating fans thought Kaitlyn Weaver is straight, and she was clearly mentally tired of that assumption judging from her interview.

Congrats to Kevin! I'm glad he has accepting family and partner who supports him :)

ladyjane

Medalist
Country
Netherlands
I feel ashamed. There is a country within the EU that actually has recently passed an anti-gay law. Not my own country thankfully (in fact our Prime Minister was terribly angry about this law, and wanted to chuck this country out of the EU)) but it still is shamefull. I want anyone with a different sexual orientation than 'straight' to be him/herself, to feel sincere in who they are. Some of my best friends are gay/queer/ trans, it's never been an issue among us, and it's hurtful that some countries still want to hurt these friends of mine. On the one hand I treasure people like Kevin - who dare to open up although it shouldn't be necessary - on the other I cannot but be unhappy about people/governments/religions that suppress a natural thing as sexual orientation. Are they crazy?

el henry

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Canal + has posted an excerpt from the documentary on Twitter.

It is so sad. :cry:Kevin said "at the moment where you would wake up, and think, I'm going to have a good day, I would remember, I'm gay. It haunted my days and it was horrible. I would watch so that I did not wave my wrists, or roll my eyes, and I would try to walk like one of the guys.

The interviewer asks if Kevin was subject to insults or mocking. He answered: Yes, I was in figure skating, a sport of <slur for gay man>, homosexual, gay, <another slur for gay man>. Name calling.

Kevin didn't go to school for six months (he didn't specify the age, it was collège, typically 12 to 15 years old) until he transferred to another school.

(translations are very approximate and mine)

Kevin is not that old, this was not that long ago. This is why coming out stories and pride are important and celebrated🌈

Weathergal

Medalist
Canal + has posted an excerpt from the documentary on Twitter.

It is so sad. :cry:Kevin said "at the moment where you would wake up, and think, I'm going to have a good day, I would remember, I'm gay. It haunted my days and it was horrible. I would watch so that I did not wave my wrists, or roll my eyes, and I would try to walk like one of the guys.

The interviewer asks if Kevin was subject to insults or mocking. He answered: Yes, I was in figure skating, a sport of <slur for gay man>, homosexual, gay, <another slur for gay man>. Name calling.

Kevin didn't go to school for six months (he didn't specify the age, it was collège, typically 12 to 15 years old) until he transferred to another school.

(translations are very approximate and mine)

Kevin is not that old, this was not that long ago. This is why coming out stories and pride are important and celebrated🌈
Thanks for the partial translations. That is heartbreaking. I had no idea he had gone through so much.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
And this really is the point and we can only hope that the world will get there one day. But it is a long long way off. As others have mentioned phrases such as conversion and recruitment have been in the news in the past week due to governments internationally. And it's naive to think that there still aren't risks for people who are only being true to themselves.

But everory like Kevin's makes a difference to those who need to hear it.
thank you that is point. One day we cn only hope.

el henry

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
And now for the good news: Kevin was pleasantly surprised by the overwhelmingly positive response to his post:

Kevin Aymoz après son coming out: "J'ai eu peur d'une vague de haine, mais les retours sont 100% positifs"
Kevin Aymoz after his coming out "I was afraid of a wave of hate, but the responses were 100% positive"

He said that he is very happy with the response, as that was the goal of the documentary. He said that for himself, he would not really need to come out publicly, it wasn't his thing, but that he did it to help. (very paraphrased) "I spoke out".

"With all the messages and personal stories I received, I think and I hope that many can see this [documentary]. From my point of view, I would like it to be shown in schools. I think that would be very important for youth".

:clap: