K. Meissner wins USOC Female Athlete of the Month | Golden Skate

K. Meissner wins USOC Female Athlete of the Month

R.D.

Record Breaker
FYI

http://usfsa.org/event_story.asp?id=34274

Meissner won the 2006 World Figure Skating Championships in her first year at the event. She was the only lady to land a triple-triple combination in the free skate, and she actually landed two: a triple flip-triple toe and a triple Lutz-triple toe. Her technical elements score of 69.47 in the free skate was one of the highest in history.

Not a Meissner fan but major props to her.

jsteam4501s

On the Ice
Hey, that's great! I can forgive them for mistakenly typing "Month" instead of "Year" = :biggrin:

Gimmie Kimmie!:clap:

I don't understand the USOC position on giving an award based on a result from Worlds. don't get me wrong, I really like Kimmie and I'm happy with her progress but the Americans had several gold medal winners in the Olympics from which they could have chosen . Why a figure skater?

Joe

Joesitz said:
I don't understand the USOC position on giving an award based on a result from Worlds. don't get me wrong, I really like Kimmie and I'm happy with her progress but the Americans had several gold medal winners in the Olympics from which they could have chosen . Why a figure skater?
Joe, the Olympic athletes were honored in last month's awards. The USOC athletes of the month for February were skier Julia Mancuso (Sasha was second for the female athletes), Speedskater Joey Cheeks and (team) Belbin and Agosto.

Kimmie's award is for the best performance in the month of March in an Olympic sport. So ... winning the world championship in the most visible of the Olympic sports is right up there.

MM :)

Last edited:

show 42

Arm Chair Skate Fan
Record Breaker
Good for Kim. She's a class act in my book and well deserving of both the honor and the title............42

R.D.

Record Breaker
I wonder if she'll actually change her name to Kim when she gets older. :laugh:

SeaniBu

Record Breaker
I really believe in this young lady. I will never get sick of saying this - I hope I don't eat the words. There are so many "good" things to say about her. Deserving of this to be true. Tallented, not "overly athletic," Charming! (as stated by another in a earlier thread "more off the ice then on"), tenacious with reserve, and blaa blaa.... I do however feel her biggest challenge is the speed - but what do I know. Have a feeling she could already be around where Carolina is now, and control it in there very near future - as Carolina, I "pray" will get this too.

Red Dog said:
I wonder if she'll actually change her name to Kim when she gets older. :laugh:

Fine but that to me would be like Nancy going to Nan - well that's a stretch but I think you understand MO. I call Emily, Emmie anyway, again what do ˆ REALLY know?

R.D.

Record Breaker
No, I mean SHE goes by "Kimmie". It would be different if she went by Kim and some fans decided to call her Kimmie.

Some Irina fans call her "Ira". It's the same type of thing.

SeaniBu

Record Breaker
Ahhhh, I see what you mean, Like how I like to refer (but not post) Irina as "Rini" or as calling Emily as Emmie.

Are you sure I misunderstood?

Wolfgang

On the Ice
What's wrong with 'Kimmie'?
There are ladies in their 60's who go by 'Dot' , 'Buttons', 'Snookums'....etc. :)

SeaniBu

Record Breaker
Wolfgang said:
What's wrong with 'Kimmie'?
There are ladies in their 60's who go by 'Dot' , 'Buttons', 'Snookums'....etc. :)

Agree, I like Kimmie's name just the way it is, although I just can't imagine a announcement of, "taking the, Ice here is Snookums."