Kaetlyn Osmond will not compete during the 2018-19 season | Page 5 | Golden Skate

Kaetlyn Osmond will not compete during the 2018-19 season

Shayuki

Record Breaker
This was very expected as soon as she announced that she'd be skipping the GP season. So it's really not a great surprise.

A more interesting topic will be to see if this is where she actually retires.

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
and nobody is even mentioning how well Caro is doing, without even all her jumps back... after her suspension... at a much older age

It’s not like she’d have to fight put in some unreasonable effort to make the national team next season. She’s good enough to come back after a season off and still be a top tier skater in not only Canada but internationally. Much like Caro she can go at a pace that works best for her and come back when she’s ready. She’s come back from injury...I’m sure this would be much easier and she’s in a position to utilize that option. Why not take it?

andromache

Record Breaker
From a purely competitive standpoint, this is a bad season to decide to skip. Sure, it's post-Olympics, and as has been pointed out, plenty of skaters skipped 2014-2015 and did fine (though none were able to return to their former competitive results, aside from V/M). The field is relatively open and Kaetlyn has a ton of momentum.

Like I said, I get it. If you don't want to compete, you shouldn't force yourself to. But taking time off in this particular context doesn't make a ton of sense if you expect to return to competition. That said, I suppose I could imagine Kaetlyn returning only for Canadian Nationals and Montreal Worlds in 2020, just for the home crowd experience.

Fluture

Record Breaker
It’s the Japanese too that seem to be contributing and dictating the flow of things. I never bought into that defeatist thinking myself of “I will be overshadowed so I’ll just retire”. People skate because they love it and the field just gets better for it. Kaetlyn like everyone else just seems to thrive off of the competition.

The competitive skaters I know don’t do it for the success but because of a love of the sport and a drive to push their athletic abilities. Lots of them use that experience to pursue their own ventures...be it on the ice or in another avenue of life. Any competitive athlete is just trying to reach their top goals. At every level.

I have a really close friend with a medal from the oVancouver games and she isn’t doing anything related to her sport but she uses her past experience in everyday life. You can bet on that!

Yes, sure Japanese skaters are pushing the technical limits, too. Have done it for ages. But for some reason all I ever hear are the Russians, Medvedeva, Zagitova, Trusova... And to be honest, it drives me mad. Because like you said, athletes compete for themselves and to reach their goals. It’s not only for the medals. It’s for the experience as well. Sure, if they compete, they thrive to win that’s only natural but I’m sure no skater would ever be like: ”Meh, I can’t defeat that Zagitova/Medvedeva/Trusova/insertname anyway so let’s just retire. No. They’re elite athletes. They know the pressure. If they still have the will and the determination, it will only push them to become better themselves. If they don’t want to compete anymore for whatever reasons we most of the time won’t know of, that’s okay too. To compete at an elite level takes a lot. You learn a lot but you also need to give a lot to the sport. Not everybody can do it a lifetime like Caro does. There are other things in life, too and maybe some just want more time for them? That‘s not giving up or being defeated. It‘s making life choices in an independent way.

And off-topic but it‘s really cool that you know an Olympic medalist personally! Am I allowed to ask which sport he/she‘s competing in?

Osmond4gold

Record Breaker
And while few have mentioned it, Kaetlyn has acknowledged she had psychological work to do to get through the past season. Not on motivation, but on recovery from trauma.

Like a skier, a gymnast, an equestrian and so many other professional athletes, there is no greater fear than getting reinjured after a near career ending fall. I applaud Kaetlyn for being BOLD enough to talk about her greatest fear, which was never about her competitors or up and coming juniors. Trauma can be all consuming on the road to recovery (insert Skate Canada 2015 here).

Thanks TGee for nailing it, like you always do!

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
From a purely competitive standpoint, this is a bad season to decide to skip. Sure, it's post-Olympics, and as has been pointed out, plenty of skaters skipped 2014-2015 and did fine (though none were able to return to their former competitive results, aside from V/M). The field is relatively open and Kaetlyn has a ton of momentum.

Like I said, I get it. If you don't want to compete, you shouldn't force yourself to. But taking time off in this particular context doesn't make a ton of sense if you expect to return to competition. That said, I suppose I could imagine Kaetlyn returning only for Canadian Nationals and Montreal Worlds in 2020, just for the home crowd experience.

ok... let's me ask you a question... you are saying that this is not the right season to take off for her... which one would be right then?

let's assume it's a hiatus à la Chan...

so in your views, Kaetlyn MUST continue this year... and then what? take off a season when it's Home Worlds? doesn't make sense...

Okay.. then she continues.. it's 2020... she's been going crazy hard since her return... went through 2018, the tour. made it work out despite a very short time between touring and nationals.. competed in both 2019-20 worlds... now... she takes a break????

so that would mean skipping 2021? the year before the games?

if there is one season to take a hiatus, it's this one... not 2019-20, nor 2020-21...

if she plans on coming back, that's the right thing to do... if she ends up retiring for good, she will have done so winning worlds and having two medals at the olympics...

I'd say smart move...

Elucidus

Match Penalty
I dont blame her for not returning. With the current trajectory of ladies field and the new +5 goe system, we will be seeing uncalled URed tiny quad jumps getting twice the points of a perfectly executed triple of the same jump. Osmond is from a different era and it will not only be impossible but also frustrating for her to compete with a bias judging system that value muscled tiny quads at double the points over huge triples. Heres hoping Evgenia and Alina remain competitive when Eteri's juniors turn senior.

:eek:topic: There is another fresh example of tiny muscled quads you so enjoyed to berate:
https://i.imgur.com/Xh1idQk.mp4
https://i.imgur.com/AIAA42n.mp4
:eekn: :bow:

actually it was part of 4Lz-3T-3Lo combination ;) Original full video https://www.instagram.com/p/Bmygo9Fj7tW/?utm_source=ig_share_sheet&igshid=b10ia9hcf8ul :p

i mean, i have seen kaetlyn live and her jumps were the biggest at the competition every time... i don't think comparing a quad toe and a triple loop is really a good comparison point... i don't think trusova's jumps are tiny, but i think the jumps you are using are very different in technique and do not constitute a valid example.

why not compare, kaetlyn's triple flip to trusova or if you want to keep the loop, fine but compare it to a triple loop

I am agree with your points but to find and prepare ideally appropriate jumps to compare requires some time and efforts. Which isn't even worthy now since my main goal was to refute haters claims about tiny quads - not to disparage Osmond or trying to prove that one skater is better than other, or similar childish reason ) It's a pity that initial instigator prefered to abstain from acknowledging falsity of his claims but I happen to be content with others replies)
Also, it's not about only Trusova - there are other tiny quads jumpers as well - see above :biggrin:

BillNeal

You Know I'm a FS Fan...
Record Breaker
Umm, why are there so many posts about Trusova in this thread? IIRC she is actually competing this season. I didn't expect video links of her to show up in this thread:confused2:

Elucidus

Match Penalty
Umm, why are there so many posts about Trusova in this thread? IIRC she is actually competing this season. I didn't expect video links of her to show up in this thread:confused2:
B-but last videos actually were about Scherbakova though )
I am sorry for offtopic. I will try to not do it again even if there will be another provocations.

Osmond4gold

Record Breaker
B-but last videos actually were about Scherbakova though )
I am sorry for offtopic. I will try to not do it again even if there will be another provocations.

No one asked for videos of non topic skaters here. There are other Threads that may be interested in same. We appreciate your participation Elucidus, but please stay on topic.

oatmella

陈巍
Record Breaker
I seriously doubt that the Russian junior skaters factored into Kaetlyn’s decision.

She will be missed this season!

russianfan

Match Penalty
If she's smart, she should know that the best time for her to retire is now. And seems like she is.
But the thing that may motivate her to come back is a complete absence of competition in Canada, which would allow her to grab few more national titles easily.

Osmond4gold

Record Breaker
If she's smart, she should know that the best time for her to retire is now. And seems like she is.
But the thing that may motivate her to come back is a complete absence of competition in Canada, which would allow her to grab few more national titles easily.

I would never limit her future potential to Nationals only, as if she returns I know Kaetlyn would have higher goals. Many had underestimated Kaetlyn previously and I would hate for some to make the same mistake, twice.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique

except she isn't even the current Ladies Canadian Champion. So it's not that easy.