Kaitlin Hawayek on IG: It is not your place to discuss a skater's body | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Kaitlin Hawayek on IG: It is not your place to discuss a skater's body

labgoat

Done updating WJC rewatches!
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Sadly, this happens in dance as well. Even when I was dancing professionally. I had more than one choreographer tell me.....For such a big guy, you have really nice leaps. Another said "Wow, you're really great, you're the Heaviest dancer I've ever hired." I did NOT take it as a compliment. These athletes are already hyper conscious about how they look. For dancers, we trained hours a day staring into a mirror. Trust me, we KNOW how we look. Imagine a complete stranger telling you, you look better in person. They always say "The Camera adds 10 pounds" I remember seeing Tonya Harding and Kristi Yamaguchi in 1991 and could not believe how tiny they were. I'm sure that Kristi didn't way 100lbs, and was about 5ft tall. Tonya, who always appeared very athletic, especially her legs, was maybe 105lbs and not much taller than Kristi. Why not just tell these skaters, "I love your skating, could I take a picture, please" When people are polite, it's nice to hear good things. These athletes spend YEARS in a freezing rink and between the short and long programs, they spend about 10 minutes at an event smiling and doing their absolute best. Flowers, or a stuffed animal can go a long way. Having an event program is also a nice way to ask for an autograph. Here's one of the final music videos I was in ( More than 30's ago ) It's Chaka Khan's "Love of a lifetime" You can see me, I'm the black boy wearing an aqua Tank Short when she sings "Good for you" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2igCau3i87s
Awesome, how fun, thank you for sharing this piece of your life.

labgoat

Done updating WJC rewatches!
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
There are no overweight elite skaters. I just can't even. But even someone on this board called Gracie "ponderous". What's next - "elephantine?" I personally think we need to be as careful with our speech online as we should be with our speech offline. You never know who is reading this. It could be - and sometimes is - someone's mom or other family member.
This echoes Mr Rice earlier. Another reason, if you’ve never gone to an event, competition or exhibition, you should. When you see people in person outside of the tv or video lens, it changes your perspective.

When I think of Kait, I see those one foot step sequences, her glow and fun expressions and see a healthy girl in love with her skating life right now.

Sai Bon

Final Flight
Country
New-Zealand
A bit OT, but according to the recent TV interview, Ryuichi Kihara was 60kg when he skated singles, but bulked up to "almost 80kg" for pairs. He said that even then he's not particularly strong, but "Riku is so tiny she makes it easy for me."

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Last edited:

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
A very tactless woman, all thoughts should not be said aloud. Besides, it was not her business to comment on Kaitlin´s weight. I think that only her partner has the right to comment as he is the one who has to lift her.

Minz

It's not over till it's over
Medalist
Country
United-States
A person's weight is the business of themselves, their doctor, and whoever close people they choose to share that information with. It is not the business of anyone else. And commenting on someone else's weight is just disgusting.
Edit: grammar

Last edited:

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
No one has that right and there are no obese elite figure skaters. Amber mentioned something about how her costume was the first sleeveless one she had ever worn because she was embarrassed by her arms:(
Yes. I know these things.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Perhaps the sport is better altogether without the Russians. Permanently.

I also do not think it is appropriate for this thread to be hidden away in the Cafe. It should be in the main section of the forum. This is a serious matter in the skating world and as evidenced by both the actions of this "fan" and the abhorrent views regularly espoused by the Russian cohort (and it is not solely their view, they are just the most frequent offenders), it is one that is still running rampant. Kaitlyn's video and Amber's tweets should be given the broadest platform on this forum, not hidden away and stuffed into a place where casual conversation takes place.

Weathergal

Medalist
Perhaps the sport is better altogether without the Russians. Permanently.

I also do not think it is appropriate for this thread to be hidden away in the Cafe. It should be in the main section of the forum. This is a serious matter in the skating world and as evidenced by both the actions of this "fan" and the abhorrent views regularly espoused by the Russian cohort (and it is not solely their view, they are just the most frequent offenders), it is one that is still running rampant. Kaitlyn's video and Amber's tweets should be given the broadest platform on this forum, not hidden away and stuffed into a place where casual conversation takes place.
I find Averbukh's and Zhulin's comments reprehensible, but let's not assume all Russians are the same. Case in point, Anastasia Skoptsova's recent comments in support of Kaitlin, which I thought were pretty well stated: https://fs-gossips.com/this-is-grea...ented-on-the-story-shared-by-kaitlin-hawayek/

Cilla70

On the Ice
Kaitlin shares the story of a spectator who told her at Skate America that "she needed to lose a lot of weight".

Kaitlin tells us, as fans, spectators, judges, coaches "It is not your place to discuss a skater's body or weight". Kaitlin talks about how she struggled with eating disorder

Kaitlin's measured and calm, yet passionate, statement, is well worth every fan's attention.

Bravo, Kaitlin, for sharing your story!

Thank you for posting.

mrrice

Record Breaker
Hey Guys, I googled and found this scene from "Tuff Turf" it's from the 80's so, sorry youngin's ;) This is the dance scene and you can only see me for a flash at 18 seconds when Kim says "Excuse Me" then again at 35 seconds. I'm wearing a white sleeveless shirt and because they said I looked fat..... Suspenders...Very 80's. This movie starred Kim Richards of the Real Housewives back when she was young and fun. I guess she's had some hard times but she was so great to us dancers. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VDx2iMtLNI8

Last edited:

macy

Record Breaker

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Kaitlin really has turned a negative incident into a force for good (and for those who said she should have "talked back", she did).

Love that they quoted the nutritionist for USFS:

"Body shape, size, composition, weight and image is deeply personal, multifactorial and constantly evolving," she explained. "It's impossible to know by simply looking at a person why they look a certain way or what their weight or composition should be. No research-based ideal body weight or composition exists for peak athletic performance."