Kanako Murakami | Page 40 | Golden Skate

Kanako Murakami

MaiKatze

Record Breaker
Can you imagine a coaching partnership Oda/Murakami? They would cry and laugh and everything in between with their skaters. What a ride that would be!

Altie

On the Ice
I am shocked to learn of Kanako's retirement. Really, team Japan for Sochi Olympics was pure gold. I will miss her bright smile and positive energy on the ice.

On a side note, I noticed that Yuzu seemed kind of cold to her during the WTT gala. I wasn't expecting him to cry (like how Nobu reacted), but at least I was hoping he would hug her at least. They are childhood friends after all. Sorry for even mentioning it, but it just kind of bothers me a bit. :sad4:

I was a bit worried too at first, but then I saw this gif - you can see that Yuzu and Shoma are the closest hugging her in the group hug, and Yuzu even touched her hair softly with his forehead. And they seemed to be pretty moved while watching her skate.
I guess that they wanted to celebrate in private, and not taking the spotlights from her. Which is sweet. And they probably already knew.

Last edited:

MaiKatze

Record Breaker
I was a bit worried too at first, but then I saw this gif - you can see that Yuzu and Shoma are the closest hugging her in the group hug, and Yuzu even touched her hair softly with his forehead. And they seemed to be pretty moved while watching her skate.
I guess that they wanted to celebrate in private, and not taking the spotlights from her. Which is sweet. And they probably already knew.

Shoma looks like he's in love.... :love:

MaiKatze

Record Breaker
I think Nobu and Kanako are a special case. Knowing that Nobu is happily married and a father of three, hanging in Kanako's arms is not the same as if Kanako and Yuzuru would caress each other in public. Yuzuru is even more affectionate with Shoma than with any female skater. And then icha icha is usually not happening in Japan. It's a different culture. Even married couples don't go around showing physical affection in public like that. They know there are cameras everywhere so I think they are conscious about it, more than in say, 2011, when they were younger.

skatefan22

Medalist
I am shocked to learn of Kanako's retirement. Really, team Japan for Sochi Olympics was pure gold. I will miss her bright smile and positive energy on the ice.

On a side note, I noticed that Yuzu seemed kind of cold to her during the WTT gala. I wasn't expecting him to cry (like how Nobu reacted), but at least I was hoping he would hug her at least. They are childhood friends after all. Sorry for even mentioning it, but it just kind of bothers me a bit. :sad4:

I actually wrote a long message to you this morning defending Yuzu but just deleted it after I saw many Yuzu interactions with "others" at that gala. Anyway, he might be cold, but what matters is that Kanako doesn't seem to care about that. She doesn't mind at all. She enjoyed last night and she is grateful to everyone according to her latest tweet.

MaiKatze

Record Breaker
I actually wrote a long message to you this morning defending Yuzu but just deleted it after I saw many Yuzu interactions with "others" at that gala. Anyway, he might be cold, but what matters is that Kanako doesn't seem to care about that. She doesn't mind at all. She enjoyed last night and she is grateful to everyone according to her latest tweet.

I agree. I don't know why everyone keeps harping on about it. The Skating World doesn't revolve only around Yuzuru Hanyu and he doesn't seem to think so either. This was Kanako's moment, and maybe he didn't want to push himself into the spotlight? Maybe he is aware of scary fans and keeps his distance in public for a reason? Whatever it is, I doubt Kanako, when thanking her fans from her heart and looking back on her skating career that lasted almost all of her life, thinks "Oh, gosh...why was Yuzuru so cold at the WTT Gala? Poor me." To be honest, I don't think she gives a *****. It's all in the head of others.

skatefan22

Medalist
I agree. I don't know why everyone keeps harping on about it. The Skating World doesn't revolve only around Yuzuru Hanyu and he doesn't seem to think so either. This was Kanako's moment, and maybe he didn't want to push himself into the spotlight? Maybe he is aware of scary fans and keeps his distance in public for a reason? Whatever it is, I doubt Kanako, when thanking her fans from her heart and looking back on her skating career that lasted almost all of her life, thinks "Oh, gosh...why was Yuzuru so cold at the WTT Gala? Poor me." To be honest, I don't think she gives a *****. It's all in the head of others.

You are so right. I don't think she gives a ***** either. :cool2:

Meoima

Match Penalty
It's the shippers who fell bad that their ship doesn't go on. On Tumblr I have seen them from time to time. I have seen some of them harping on rumors like vultures. Too bad, real people are not fictional characters. Let real people have their own lives.
I hope Kanako a great pro-career. She went clean at National and that counts a lot. She is a happy girl and she will be fine.

Thank you for all your opinions. I, for one, am not a shipper of any skaters being partnered with another. I just happened to notice it especially considering their friendship. I do understand that expressing one's emotions towards a friend who just announced her retirement could vary from person to person. Nobu may be showy, but Yuzu is not.

On a side note, I keep on glancing at MaiKatze's avatar. Kanako just looks splendid in that pic! Good for her having another project :agree:

Altie

On the Ice
Thank you for all your opinions. I, for one, am not a shipper of any skaters being partnered with another. I just happened to notice it especially considering their friendship. I do understand that expressing one's emotions towards a friend who just announced her retirement could vary from person to person. Nobu may be showy, but Yuzu is not.

On a side note, I keep on glancing at MaiKatze's avatar. Kanako just looks splendid in that pic! Good for her having another project :agree:

Same, thank you.
I'm not a shipper either - and we're not "harping about it" ??? Can't we just express our concern without being catalogued in the "frustrated shipper box", thank you ?

Anyway. Yuzu fought back tears when Kanako announced her retirement.

And yes, Kanako look absolutely gorgeous in that pic. I love the design - it looks a bit Mononoke-ish <3

Last edited:
Same, thank you.
I'm not a shipper either - and we're not "harping about it" ??? Can't we just express our concern without being catalogued in the "frustrated shipper box", thank you ?

Anyway. Yuzu fought back tears when Kanako announced her retirement.

And yes, Kanako look absolutely gorgeous in that pic. I love the design - it looks a bit Mononoke-ish <3

You've said EVERYTHING I wanted to say, Altie. Thanks for understanding where I was coming from :)

skatefan22

Medalist
SkatingChina (weibo) posted an article about what their reporter witnessed during Kanako’s last competition at Japan National 2017.

The post is long. The reporter said Kanako didn’t appear in the first day practice and she was the only skater absent at pre-skate interview. In the second day practice, she was in a very bad situation. Not only did she look heavy at jumps, she even fell during her step sequence. She lied on the ice for such a long time that other skaters wondered what happened. But instead of getting depressed, Kanako still managed to laugh while lying on the ice. She surprised everyone by pulling off a clean FS at Nationals. She earned herself a place as substitute at World Championship 2017.

Then everyone in the reporters’ room relaxed a bit as they imagined Kanako might continue to skate towards next season. But it turned out that at that time Kanako had already seriously planning her retirement. Her post on her official website is not long but very emotional. She has sweet and bitter moments, ups and downs in her skating life. And we wish her all the happiness in her second life.

SkatingChina also included a photo of the most precious moment of Kanako's retirement skate when she kneeled and touched the ice.

skatefan22

Medalist
Kanako Murakami choreographed her new ex - Hometown Glory (Adele) | PIW2017

No video yet, just some photos [[link expired]]. But I am glad that she is trying new things. A future coach and a choreographer, just like Coach Higuchi.

Last edited by a moderator:

skatefan22

Medalist
Kanako was on TV today having an interview with Mai Asada.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4hBv9sjTVo0&feature=youtu.be

A funny part is that they showed Kanako's ideal type requirements when she was 16. Kanako got embarrassed with her long list of requirements.

Then there are some questions asked by street people to Kanako, including how does she managed to smile during hard times, and does she have a boyfriend, etc.

Kana said she doesn't have a boyfriend and jokingly asked Mai and the other two hosts to introduce her to someone. When asked whether her ideal type changes, she said definitely different from what she said when she was young. Her ideal type now is someone who is fresh and clean.

Last edited: