Kanako Murakami | Page 41 | Golden Skate

Kanako Murakami

Arriba627

TWO-TIME WORLD CHAMPION 🔥
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
^^^Little brother with his big sister! They're so cute together. Of course I watched the 15 minute You Tube and didn't have a clue what they were saying. It's still fun!

My caption:
Shoma to Kana: Choreography? Do I have to do that?
Kana: Oops, maybe we better listen!

skatefan22

Medalist
I posted it in the Shoma thread and I will repost it here.

Some funny chat between Shoma and fans during piw.
Fan: Would it be possible that you skate to a program choreographed by Kanako?
Shoma: No! (Firmly)
Fan: ahhh (Pretend to leave)
Shoma: Absolutely no! (With a devil smile)

Fan: What do you guys think of the message “おつ" that Shoma left to Kanako?
Shoma and Kanako: laugh
Fan: is it always like that?
Kanako: I have really always been looked down upon by him. I am sorry. (Laugh)

Fan (presented two photo books to Kanako which contain photos of Kanako and Shoma): which photo book would you like?
Kanako: the black one, but I think Shoma would prefer the black one, so I will pick the white one then. Shoma would even say "photo with Kanako, I don't need them". He is so annoying.

Kana looking gorgeous at PIW. She's made for this, I swear. I love how close the fans can get to the skaters at these shows. Awesome! I would give her lots of gifts, only to see her smile at me like this.

Another one for a caption contest!

Tatsuki: Stand...
Shizuka: Still!
Shoma: What do I do, Kana-chan?
Kana: Huh? I didn't pay attention! Shoma!

I love PIW too and I wish to attend one in the future. Skaters are so close to fans, chating, greeting, etc. Look at all those beautiful flower rings [[link expired]] that Kanako got from fans. She looks great in all of them. And again, lots of Kana-Shoma moments. I find this one funniest [[link expired]]: Kanako was all into choreo, while Shoma just stood there in his little world again.

Last edited by a moderator:

skatefan22

Medalist
Kanako is on Spoken TV tonight:
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x5l2gso_引退の真相-

The part she indulged herself in eating that huge ice cream is hilarious.

From what I understand, she revealed that before Sochi, Coach Yamada already suggested her to retire. The hosts got surprised. They said that usually it is the skater who wants to retire and inform the coach. Kanako's case is different. It was the coach who brought the retirement thing up first. Kanako said she didn't want to retire after Sochi because she didn't feel satisfied with her Sochi performance and results and felt that she could still do better. So she continued to skate. Then after Nationals last year, she had a "ok, that's it" feeling for the first time. So she decided to retire. She has discussed this with Mao and Nobu.

Reflecting on her skating career, she found that her "Kanako-smile" for skating was at the lowest when she was 9-10 years old. For what reason, I didn't get due to my Japanese... Then she began to love skating increased year by year. She didn't want to progress to senior at the age of 15 because she felt senior world is scary. But her coach advised her to do so because she had won practically won everything in juniors. Her skating career stayed in quite high note during 13-19 years old. Then it hit the floor at the age of 21. The host asked her if she felt pressure from all those youngsters. I love Kanako's answer. She shook her head and said no, she didn't feel any pressure instead, she felt there is no one for her to look at as a role model.

About future, she said she wants to try everything related to skating and she think becoming someone like Nobu is not bad. The host laughed that they can be a duo: Nobu likes crying while Kanako always smiles. It will be funny to have them as commentators.

The last part made me cry. They showed her farewell skate at WTT gala and backstage hug with Marin, Shoma comforting a crying Kanako, Nobu crying while commentating Kana's gala performance, Akiko and Takahiko saying some nice words, Coach Yamada comments, Shoma's thanks to Kanako. Very emotional ending.

Last edited:

Arriba627

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
^^^So that was her I was hearing during DOI?! I kept thinking "Why do I know this voice?" Perfect job for her! And I would think her pleasant manner would put skaters at ease during interviews. Good for her!

MaiKatze

Record Breaker
Happy belated Birthday, sweetling Kanako! I miss you so much. Ah, pre-Sochi days come back to me.

Arriba627

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Happy Birthday to sweet Kanako! I miss that beautiful smile.

MaiKatze

Record Breaker
Thinking about Satoko's Memoirs of a Geisha SP, made me remember that Kanako skated to Memoirs of a Geisha, too. Her 15/16 LP was to this music. The costume was great, one of my favourite Ladies costume and her (back then) new short hair cut really complimented her look. I'm so sad she never skated that program to its potential. You could see that at the end of her career the confidence and even her interpretation skills left her a bit. Still, I remember her Roxanne SP at 4CC with 68 points being a last highlight of her career. Both programmes were choreographed by Fluffy herself. Good job!

I miss you Kanako!

Bonus: Yamada-sensei and Queen Midori with Kanako!
(subtitle: Family)

sakurano

Final Flight
She misses us all it is true that she had a great sensitivity arthistique . i least like his latest programs .
i like his interpretation of Sayuri is a different approach .

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
I just updated Kanako's OP. Even though she is retired, she is a very busy professional skater:

What has Kanako been doing since she retired?

May 2018 - Prince ice world 2018 "Sparkling Diamonds"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nTLPuERfyMI

Dec. 2017 XOI - 君がいたから (Because You Were There) performed by Crystal Kay
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IZaI-jO77wA

Ice Skate Academy at Tokyo Midtown with Kanako Murakami
An ice skating workshop for kids — with professional skater Kanako Murakami as the instructor — took place at Tokyo Midtown on Feb. 4, 2018.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4MKblomcOkA

While there, she gave this performance:
Kanako at Tokyo Midtown’s ice skate academy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5izE6hn_f7c
Feb 3, 2018 - Professional figure skater Kanako Murakami performs on Feb. 4, 2018, at the “Mitsui Fudosan Sport Academy for Tokyo 2020: Ice Skate Academy” event at Tokyo Midtown’s pop-up ice rink.

Former Olympic figure skater, Kanako Murakami made special performance on Japanese TV, for supporting all the athletes in Olympic 2018!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cx9RrGGsDlg

She skated with Mao Asada in The Ice 2017
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WI9NPAImaYc

She and Nobunari Oda were asked a silly question (Jan. 2018)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bNBtALdhRe4

MaiKatze

Record Breaker
Wow! :love: I'd really like to see that performance!

Here it is!

I know Kanako was never the strongest jumper and even here, her jump...idk if it was popped or intended that way, but all that aside, these 'otona' adult performances are just lacking in the current top ladies generation. I could watch this all day. I don't think a 15 year old should skate like that, of course, but the current competitors are not doing 'Ladies' skating, it's 'Girls skating' to me. I really miss Kanako and her cheerful, dynamic style. And she's a great performer, too!

sakurano

Final Flight
I do not know why watching this performance of Kanako made me nostalgic. Simply sublime.:love:

cathlen

Team Gorgeous Cacti!
Record Breaker
Country
Poland
Here it is!

I know Kanako was never the strongest jumper and even here, her jump...idk if it was popped or intended that way, but all that aside, these 'otona' adult performances are just lacking in the current top ladies generation. I could watch this all day. I don't think a 15 year old should skate like that, of course, but the current competitors are not doing 'Ladies' skating, it's 'Girls skating' to me. I really miss Kanako and her cheerful, dynamic style. And she's a great performer, too!

Loved it! And Mura had added do overall sexiness as well :luv17: