Keiji Tanaka | Page 14 | Golden Skate

Keiji Tanaka

surimi

Congrats to Sota, #10 in World Standings!
Record Breaker
Watching Keiji was a delight as usual, who needs jumps? 😆
Jokes aside, I'm very curious about what he'll do next. Will he try to remain in competitive singles? Maybe it's selfish from my part, but if he feels he can't continue in singles, I would love to see him taking a leaf out of Daisuke's book and trying out ice dance. He has the height, the flair and the skating skills! I know he said he wouldn't have the core strength for lifts but this can be worked on...

I think I have read a few years ago that he has chronic back issues, so I think he can't do ID -_- But he would surely make for a charming partner. 👍 For my part, I can really imagine Keiji becoming a TV personality, for his good looks and achievements and extroverted personality on the ice, and I think his voice isn't bad either. :]

KiraraChin

Medalist
I think I have read a few years ago that he has chronic back issues, so I think he can't do ID -_- But he would surely make for a charming partner. 👍
Oh nooooo there goes my dream 😭 Seriously, though, I hope he keeps performing, either competitively or at least in shows.

rRainbow

On the Ice
Country
Japan
News article on Keiji's Nagoya Festival performance:

On the 4th, Nagoya Figure Skating Festival (Nagoya, Japan, NGK Arena)

Keiji Tanaka (27) of Kokusai Gakuen, who finished 11th in the men's competition at the All-Japan Championships last December, debuted his new exhibition piece, "Godzilla.

He appeared as the first performer after the ice was finished, wearing a black tank top, and said, "Please watch my performance and enjoy it as much as you can in this short time. Let's have some fun today," Tanaka said, showing his determination. He has shown unique programs at Nagoya Figure Skating Festival in the past, but this time he performed powerful steps and triple jumps to the melody of "Godzilla," which is familiar all over the world. He gave an encore performance to conclude his appearance this year.

KiraraChin

Medalist
Hi everyone, I saw a summary/translation of Keiji's latest NowVoice, thought I should share the bit about nationals here (he also speaks about Yu-Gi-Oh later on which I thought it was a bit too niche for this forum lol) Thanks to the user Fefe on Twitter, full thread here: https://twitter.com/hanageshinken2/status/1487116639732596738

SP: v nervous, never had to skate after yuzu before, knew yuzu would knock the ball out of the park, made himself nervous thinking about having to skate in that atmosphere, was never so nervous in his life, legs shaking

managed 4s, normally the layout was 4s -> 3a -> 3f+3t but wasn't landing them this season so switched to 4s -> 3f+3t -> 3a, still messed up the axel but was really glad to skate to eva

always wanted to skate to eva at nationals so he's glad he made that dream come true, but still wanted to go clean

fs: pops, but the program as a whole was a new endeavor for him, physically demanding, felt like it showed how he wanted to move beyond his comfort zone, grateful, again wanted to perform well, so overall a little disappointing

grateful for having a comp in covid, in front of an audience and not in empty rinks, a lot of hard work from a lot of people made it possible

a lot to be dissatisfied about but feels the support from many people brought him there

diff from prev nats, came back from russia, had to train while in quarantine. going back and forth between rink and hotel day after day. it was hard, but had nothing to do with not performing well, felt like it's a matter of experience, a lot of trial and error trying to train

other coaches who were quarantining as well helped him out a lot

ppl who had their gp comp earlier eventually started to leave, cor was the last comp, so kazuki and rino stayed with him in quarantine and they practiced together, felt like day by day it was wearing everyone out but especially him lol

saw everyone gambaru-ing and it pushed him to also gambaru. kazuki did well in russia and stayed in good condition after coming back too, impressed at how good he's become inside his senpai heart

it was just him, kazuki, and rino in quarantine, three of them doing runthroughs one by one endlessly, he and kazuki would mess up the first few jumps then start over, but rino would never start over, she would do it perfectly from the start, he couldn't believe her stamina lol

he found it funny, he and kazuki were battered to death and theyd look at rino and be like... she's doing her free??

nationals was one week after quarantine ended, part of him felt very pressed realizing that once he was "outside" so to speak, but part of him also pumped up

thinks it was a good experience for him, he didn't know what the right way to do things were but thinks an athlete with a variety of experiences will always be in a better position

hopes to pass on what he learned to his juniors someday, was conscious about piling up as much knowledge as he could, it was hard but a good experience

again, diff from prev nats, couldn't put out all he had, disappointed, but got to experience things he couldn't before, glad to have skated there, thank you for your support

Last edited:

KiraraChin

Medalist
Quadruple Axel published a short video of Keiji on Twitter:

It seems that he mentions the words 'next season' so it doesn't sound he's retiring 👀

surimi

Record Breaker
He sure does mention next season, so thanks for the catch! ☺️ Are you sure you don't want to start learning Japanese, since you aleady know a number of important words? :biggrin:
I think Keiji is saying he couldn't skate this season's performances the way he wanted to, but he thanks everyone for cheering for him, and wants to skate in his own way next season.

And, Keiji was the third boy in the photoshoot that Kazuki and Sota took part in. Here are some photos from his visit to Onomichi in Hiroshima: https://www.instagram.com/p/Cbb7RZupVcW/?utm_source=ig_web_button_share_sheet (that sundae! yum! And LOL at the makeup guy in the second photo, putting makeup on Keiji's nose when Keiji looks like he just wants to start eating :biggrin: )
I wanted to share more, but for some reason IG now suddenly wants me to log in, probably I browsed more than I am allowed to without signing up, or IDK... so here are the remaining photos in the blog entry I found them in: https://ameblo.jp/shelley39/entry-12734610873.html

KiraraChin

Medalist
He sure does mention next season, so thanks for the catch! ☺️ Are you sure you don't want to start learning Japanese, since you aleady know a number of important words? :biggrin:
Haha I must confess I cheated, a Japanese speaker I follow on Twitter had already said this lol
In any case, I'm happy Keiji seems like he's going to continue! His programmes are always so fun to watch, can't wait to see what he does next

surimi

Record Breaker
Unfortuntely it seems that Keiji reconsidered that 'next season' remark, and decided to retire. 😭 So sad to hear this. But it's not like he had many chances in competitions. He'd have to hope for a Challenger, being out of Nationals top 10. He didn't compete anymore in the second half of this season. I wonder what would have happened had Hayashi not been arrested. Keiji had great results with Hayashi, and when Sayaka Yodo became his coach out of necessity, it was just not the same. Such bad luck for Keiji in the last few years... I am still hoping he wants to coach.
All the best in your next career, Keiji, and thank you for your memorable programs! 🍀 I'll always remember seeing his 'Memories' live at Nepela Trophy.

Leocadia

On the Ice
Oh no, I was really hoping he would compete a little longer! This makes me sad, he has had some really interesting programs, and I was looking forward to seeing what his next programs would be.

I hope he continues to skate in lots of shows, and I wish him all the best in his new projects.

rRainbow

On the Ice
Country
Japan
Yahoo Japan report on Keiji's retirement:https://news.yahoo.co.jp/articles/52bd458398a1c970740ceeda1b316baa2f05b1c8
Translation:

Keiji Tanaka Announces Retirement: "Happy Athletic Career" and Becomes a Professional Skater and Coach

Same age as Yuzuru Hanyu and a member of the men's single team for the Pyeongchang Olympics.

Figure skater Keiji Tanaka, a member of the Pyeongchang Olympics team, announced his retirement from competition on his Twitter account on November 11. He posted a text in an image and wrote, "It has been a happy life as a competitor."

Tanaka, 27, from Okayama, emerged as a standout after placing second at the 2011 World Junior Championships, and won the 13th All-Japan Junior Championships. At the All-Japan Championships, he placed second in 2016 and 2017, and third in 2018. He competed with Yuzuru Hanyu, the reigning Olympic champion in the same year, and competed in the World Championships three times. He also competed for the men's single team at the Pyeongchang Olympics in 2018, finishing 18th overall.

Tanaka performed in the "Stars on Ice" ice show, which ran until March 10. On his Twitter account, he announced his retirement with a photo saying, "To all of you who have always supported me, I have decided to retire from figure skating after 20 years of competition. The text of the post is as follows.

"To all of you who have always supported me,

After 20 years of skating, I have decided to retire from figure skating.

I would like to express my sincere gratitude to all the coaches and people who have guided me, my family and friends who have supported me, all the skaters who have worked hard against each other, and all the fans who have supported me, for making it possible for me to lead such a long and fulfilling athletic career.

The experiences I have gained throughout my athletic career have been the most precious treasures of my life. I would like to express my gratitude directly to each and every one of you, but first of all, I would like to express my heartfelt thanks in writing.

At the "Stars on Ice" Osaka and Tokyo performances that were held until yesterday, I performed my last performance as an active competitor, and I would like to express my gratitude to all of you.

For the time being, I will be pursuing a dual career as a professional skater and an assistant coach who aspires to become a mentor.

I am prepared that it will be very difficult to balance my activities as a professional ice show performer and as a coach. However, I hope to bring synergy to both careers. From now on, I will make further efforts to contribute to the figure skating community both as a professional and as a coach.

The upcoming "Prince Ice World" Yokohama show starting April 29 will be my first step as a professional skater. Also, thanks to the kindness of everyone involved at "Prince Ice World," I will be holding a retirement press conference at the end of the first performance on the same day. I will be able to talk about the details and answer any questions from the press at that time.

That is all for now.

When I was a competitor, I skated with the theme of "aggressiveness," and I will continue to work with that enthusiasm on my next path. Thank you for your continued support.

It has been a blissful athletic life.
Thank you very much.

April 11, 2022, Keiji Tanaka"

surimi

Record Breaker
Thank you, Kirara and Rainbow!
I am sad to see Keiji retire, but hearing his words about being satisfied with his long and successful career help me come to terms with his announcement. It's great that he was able to finish his career satisfied with what he's achieved. Hopefully his back issues get better, now that he has a freedom of choice in which elements he wants to do at shows.
He's a great entertainer, and coaching-wise, I like to think he's just what Nishinomiya rink needs at the moment. Looking forward to seeing Keiji still around in the FS world. :)

rRainbow

On the Ice
Country
Japan
Keiji's retirement press conference on Apr. 29:https://www.daily.co.jp/general/2022/04/29/0015260072.shtml

Figure skater Tanaka, a.k.a. "Deka," held a press conference to talk about his retirement: "The good things only last for a moment. I have been able to keep going without being discouraged.

Keiji Tanaka, 27, a member of the men's figure skating team for the 2018 PyeongChang Olympics and known affectionately as "Deka", held a retirement press conference in Yokohama on the 29th. He had announced his retirement on Twitter on April 11.

He said of his athletic career in which he competed in the PyeongChang Olympics and three World Championships, "It was really only for a moment that I had a lot of joy. It was only once or twice a year. Most of the time was tough, but the fact that I was able to continue this far without losing heart in the midst of it is something I can build on from now on.

He decided to retire after the All-Japan Championships last December. "I made the decision after the All-Japan free skate. I wasn't satisfied with my performance, and I didn't have a sense of accomplishment, but I decided to call it quits. Looking back on the season, I could not achieve the competitive results I wanted, and it was a frustrating season. But I set a new goal for myself, and decided to make a new start immediately without any lingering feelings for my life as a competitor," he revealed.

As for memorable competitions, "I tried to prepare for that questions I thought I would be asked, but nothing came to mind," he laughed and explained, "Every competition had some stories, and even the bad ones had a lot of things that left me with something.

One of his future goals is to become a coach. He revealed that at Nishinomiya Ice Arena, Hyogo, he is currently coaching skaters while learning how to be a coach working as an assistant coach under Utako Nagamitsu, who is known for having coached Daisuke Takahashi and others, and also coaching skaters.

He will also work as a professional skater. On this day, he appeared on the first day of the "Prince Ice World," Yokohama, his first ice show after turning pro.

surimi

Record Breaker
So he's working directly under Nagamitsu, hmm... Does that mean he'll now become one of Sena's coaches? I guess we'll see next season.
Thank you as usual, @rRainbow !

surimi

Record Breaker
Keiji's retirement press conference on Apr. 29:https://www.daily.co.jp/general/2022/04/29/0015260072.shtml

Figure skater Tanaka, a.k.a. "Deka," held a press conference to talk about his retirement: "The good things only last for a moment. I have been able to keep going without being discouraged.

Keiji Tanaka, 27, a member of the men's figure skating team for the 2018 PyeongChang Olympics and known affectionately as "Deka", held a retirement press conference in Yokohama on the 29th. He had announced his retirement on Twitter on April 11.

He said of his athletic career in which he competed in the PyeongChang Olympics and three World Championships, "It was really only for a moment that I had a lot of joy. It was only once or twice a year. Most of the time was tough, but the fact that I was able to continue this far without losing heart in the midst of it is something I can build on from now on.

He decided to retire after the All-Japan Championships last December. "I made the decision after the All-Japan free skate. I wasn't satisfied with my performance, and I didn't have a sense of accomplishment, but I decided to call it quits. Looking back on the season, I could not achieve the competitive results I wanted, and it was a frustrating season. But I set a new goal for myself, and decided to make a new start immediately without any lingering feelings for my life as a competitor," he revealed.

As for memorable competitions, "I tried to prepare for that questions I thought I would be asked, but nothing came to mind," he laughed and explained, "Every competition had some stories, and even the bad ones had a lot of things that left me with something.

One of his future goals is to become a coach. He revealed that at Nishinomiya Ice Arena, Hyogo, he is currently coaching skaters while learning how to be a coach working as an assistant coach under Utako Nagamitsu, who is known for having coached Daisuke Takahashi and others, and also coaching skaters.

He will also work as a professional skater. On this day, he appeared on the first day of the "Prince Ice World," Yokohama, his first ice show after turning pro.

BTW is it this press event? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5zF7S1QDBRU&t=16s It popped up at me randomly on Youtube. I like how it always supplies the kind of content I like watching ^ ^

rRainbow

On the Ice
Country
Japan
Does that mean he'll now become one of Sena's coaches? I guess we'll see next season.
No, I don't think so. Nagamitsu's base is Kansai University Rink in Osaka, while Keiji's base is Nishinomiya in Hyogo. According to Google map they are 1 hour 45 min apart by train and bus. I assume most of the time Keiji works under Sayaka Yodo at Hyogo rink while Nagamitsu is his mentor.

The article I posted earlier was written based on this press conference.

Last edited: