Kentucky Derby Saturday, May 2nd | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Kentucky Derby Saturday, May 2nd

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
^ Looking forward to the Preakness. We'll have to DVR it, and play it back on Saturday evening.

Johar

Medalist
Preakness Stakes (gr. I) $1,500,000 Guaranteed
Post Horse Jockey Trainer Odds
1 American Pharoah-- Victor Espinoza-- Bob Baffert 4-5
2 Dortmund --Martin Garcia --Bob Baffert 7-2
3 Mr. Z-- Corey Nakatani --D. Wayne Lukas 20-1
4 Danzig Moon --Julien Leparoux-- Mark Casse 15-1
5 Tale of Verve --Joel Rosario-- Dallas Stewart 30-1
6 Bodhisattva-- Trevor McCarthy-- Jose Corrales 20-1
7 Divining Rod --Javier Castellano-- Arnaud Delacour 12-1
8 Firing Line --Gary Stevens-- Simon Callaghan 4-1

Last edited:

Dee4707

Ice Is Slippery - Alexie Yagudin
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Thanks Johar for the update on the Preakness entries.

I am not going to say who I want to win because I think I am a jinx. :shrug: :laugh:

During March Madness every team I rooted for lost, some being the favorites to win.

Dee4707

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Johar, anxious to hear what you think about the Preakness race and Triple Crown possibility...now.

What is your opinion about Victor Espinoza whipping American Pharoah? He was asked during an interview and of course he said it doesn't hurt the horse but I would like to hear your opinion on the subject.

solani

Record Breaker
Country
Austria
@Dee4707
I got an opinion on that: Mr. Espinoza seems to be a so called "stick rider". At least if a horse response to whipping is good, because some of them will just stop running if you whip them.
American Pharoah's response seems to be just fine and I don't think he hurt him.
But he did hurt Stellar Wind in this year's Santa Anita Oaks. Just watch it, he got fined for that. Broke the horse's skin.

elbkup

Power without conscience is a savage weapon
Medalist
Country
United-States
Deserves the fine!! Inexcusable!!!
That said: horses were born to run.. Feel their power... They need RESPONSIBLE riders b/c they are a team where trust is paramount...
One of the most dangerous sports there is.. Good luck to AP in the Belmont ..the most gruelling of the 3T events... Mind yourself Mr.Espinosa..https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=6EfwkGNfdJE

Johar

Medalist
If used correctly it doesn't hurt the horse.

Marcus Hersh , Pimlico Race Course , 2015-05-16 , Race 13 - DRF Live
Waiting at Belmont for Pharoah will be . . .

NYRA handed out the list of possible Belmont Stakes starters who did not compete in the Preakness. They are:

- CARPE DIEM, the Blue Grass winner

- FRAMMENTO, most recently 11th in the Kentucky Derby

- FROSTED, probably one of the main challengers, a good closing fourth in the Derby

- KEEN ICE, who sneakily ran an encouraging 7th in the Derby, and should stay the 12 furlongs

- MADEFROMLUCKY, who won the Peter Pan but got smashed by Pharoah in Arkansas

- MATERIALITY, the Florida Derby winner who is everyone's trip horse from the Derby, and who could deliver the strongest challenge to the would be Triple Crown winner.

-MUBTAAHIJ, the UAE Derby winner was 8th in the Kentucky Derby and has a 12 furlong pedigree

Who will come out of the Preakness and go onto Belmont? Can't see DORTMUND or FIRING LINE making the trip, but would be shocked if TALE OF VERVE doesn't go on to the Belmont. No insight into Divining Rod, but if I had to guess, I'd say he's out.

elbkup

Medalist
Country
United-States
Thanks Johar for your insights. Hope AP does well in the race but Secretariat was phenomenal... I remember watching the race on the day. According to Wikipedia his heart weighed in at 22 pounds on necropsy when he died... Sham's was a mere 14 pounds (average equine heart is around 7 pounds).. No wonder Secretariat ran like a tremendous machine. I believe both Sham and Secretariat were descended from Eclipse, English racehorse in 1700's that never lost a race. No one would bet on any other horse so Eclipse retired. Not sure if any of this is fact but makes a "good story".

Johar

Medalist
I got to meet Sham but only saw his butt. He wouldn't turn around in his stall, LOL.

Johar

Medalist
The Truth Or Else has been scratched from the Belmont. And Carpe Diem has been scratched as well.

elbkup

Medalist
Country
United-States
Johar: Meeting Sham!!! So cool... He was one of the greats, no question.

Johar

Medalist
I also met:

Affirmed: last Triple Crown winner. Sweetheart.

Easy Goer: Belmont stakes winner, 2nd in Derby and Preakness. Was relaxed but we didn't get to pet him (Was in a tour group)

John Henry: 1975-2007. Winner of Arlington Million, Jockey Club Gold Cup. Record of 83 starts, 39 wins, 15 seconds and 9 thirds. He was one mean dude! Had warning signs by his stall that he bites.

Foolish Pleasure: Winner of 1975 Derby and the ill-fated mach race between him and undefeated filly Ruffian. Was also mean and we were quite content not to have groom fetch him.

Cozzene: Won the Breeders' Cup Mile. Was gassy, LOL.

Holy Bull: His mouth was constantly moving as he paced along the fence. Was friendly. Was 1994 Horse of the Year.

Standing in Secretariat's old stall was awesome! I had chills run down my spine.

Last edited:

Dee4707

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Standing in Secretariat's old stall was awesome! I had chills run down my spine.

:bow: Johar, I love your insights and stories. It makes it more exciting to watch. :clap:

Johar

Medalist
Thank you.

On Sec's stall were brass nameplates of former great stallions from decades ago who also stayed in that stall. Nasrullah 1940 -1959. He sired Bold Ruler, who also stayed in that stall.

HORSE TRAINER JOCKEY LAST RACE, FINISH

American Pharoah Bob Baffert Victor Espinoza Preakness, 1st

Frammento Nick Zito Mike Smith Ky. Derby, 11th

Frosted Kiaran McLaughlin Joel Rosario Ky. Derby, 4th

Keen Ice Dale Romans Kent Desormeaux Ky. Derby, 7th

Madefromlucky Todd Pletcher Javier Castellano Peter Pan, 1st

Materiality Todd Pletcher John Velazquez Ky. Derby, 6th

Mubtaahij Michael de Kock Irad Ortiz Jr. Ky. Derby, 8th

Tale of Verve Dallas Stewart Gary Stevens Preakness, 2nd

Johar

Medalist
Belmont Stakes (gr. I) $1,500,000 Guaranteed. 1 1/2 miles