Kurt Browning and Alissa Czisny announce their marriage | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Kurt Browning and Alissa Czisny announce their marriage

mrrice

Record Breaker
Also I didn't even know he'd divorced Sonia Rodriguez (who is quite famous in her own right as a principal dancer at the National Ballet of Canada, recently retired this year). If this is not something they/she wanted to draw attention to, then it's understandable that they were discreet about the new rela
Exactly.......I would have thought his divorce would have made the headlines first. Yuka and Jason, Jamie and David, I heard about their divorces before they were posting wedding pictures of new romance. Congratulations to the new couple.

Last edited:

BlissfulSynergy

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Congrats to Alissa & Kurt! How wonderful that they discovered a connection and a deep friendship with each other. I heard awhile ago that they have been together. So happy for them that they decided to tie the knot officially! 💞

Two other long-time fave skaters who came together after other relationships ended are David Pelletier and Katia Gordeeva. 💖

BlissfulSynergy

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Whew, I gasped when I saw this news. I had to do a double take and make sure the dude in the pic was Kurt Browning. Shocking.

Good for them. Hope they're happy together!
Are you shocked about them finding love or about the fact that skaters who we remember being young actually age?? The years pass by quickly. Be happy for love and blessings!

BlissfulSynergy

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Holy Cow.......They sure kept this quiet, I didn't hear a single word and I like to follow FS gossip. This is kind of like Andre and Steffi getting Married. Such an exciting time for both skaters. Congratulations!!!!
Well, neither of them are very high profile these days, aside from whatever show activities they may still be engaged with. It's nice to be able to enjoy a relationship discreetly, when you are both well-known in a particular field. I heard about them being together a couple of years ago. At the time, I hadn't realized that Kurt's marriage had ended. Kurt and Alissa are both lovely people. I'm happy for them. Kurt has such a fun, self-deprecating humor. 😆

BlissfulSynergy

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
I feel bad for Sonia though.
Why? We don't know the details of Kurt/Sonia's break-up. For all we know, Sonia wished to move on first. She may be very happy. It looks like Kurt and Sonia were both discreet about their relationship troubles for the sake of their kids. I wouldn't jump to a conclusion that Sonia requires any of our sympathies. She may be in a fulfilling relationship of her own at this point too. The main thing is that their kids grew up happy, nurtured, and protected.

mrrice

Record Breaker
Are you shocked about them finding love or about the fact that skaters who we remember being young actually age?? The years pass by quickly. Be happy for love and blessings!
Personally, my biggest surprise was that I didn't know that Kurt was single. His divorce never made headlines, at least not on GS.

amc987

On the Ice

It was a combination: 1) I thought Kurt was married with children; 2) I didn't know he and Alissa were even dating; and 3) he looks older than I remember, and significantly older than she does.

And as I said in my post, I'm happy for them, despite my initial shock.

mrrice

Record Breaker
Well, neither of them are very high profile these days, aside from whatever show activities they may still be engaged with. It's nice to be able to enjoy a relationship discreetly, when you are both well-known in a particular field. I heard about them being together a couple of years ago. At the time, I hadn't realized that Kurt's marriage had ended. Kurt and Alissa are both lovely people. I'm happy for them. Kurt has such a fun, self-deprecating humor. 😆
Well, as a 4 time World Champion, I think Kurt's NON "High Profile" days have been behind him for decades. Remember, he still performs in shows and as the skating voice for the CBC, I would consider him quite high profile in the skating world. In the US Skating World, Alissa has been a high profile skater for more than a decade. Any US fan who was around during her time knows that she became quite famous here. The fact that not a single story ( That I every saw ) was published on the GS, or other US skating sites is, IMO, quite shocking.

lizardlass

On the Ice
Well, as a 4 time World Champion, I think Kurt's NON "High Profile" days have been behind him for decades. Remember, he still performs in shows and as the skating voice for the CBC, I would consider him quite high profile in the skating world. In the US Skating World, Alissa has been a high profile skater for more than a decade. Any US fan who was around during her time knows that she became quite famous here. The fact that not a single story ( That I every saw ) was published on the GS, or other US skating sites is, IMO, quite shocking.

Yeah, the only place that talked about it was a figure skating gossip forum, so it never felt like "real" news to me until now. Not that I didn't believe it. They appeared together often in interviews and shows, and people who follow them on social media noticed that they were pretty obviously living together during the 2020 quarantine. They're both super private, so it seemed like they would never make it official, lol. Congrats to them!

BlissfulSynergy

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Oh of course. I just mean that neither are currently highly visible as competitors. They've been low-key and discreet about their relationship, but it hasn't been a secret. I saw something on Instagram once of them together. Thus, those people who are surprised obviously are not following them closely, which IMO is due to the fact they are not regular competitors on the current scene, no matter how high-profile famous they are in skating.

For sure, IMHO, Kurt & Alissa have both made iconic contributions to figure skating. It's cool they found a connection with each other. Being on the down-low with their relationship reminds me of how very discreet Michelle Kwan has usually been about her personal relationships, aside from her first marriage, which got too much media attention. These days we know practically nothing about Michelle's significant other. And she successfully kept her pregnancy quiet too. 👍

Last edited:

BlissfulSynergy

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
The fact that not a single story ( That I every saw ) was published on the GS, or other US skating sites is, IMO, quite shocking.
There actually was brief discussion on a popular skating forum in a thread about relationships awhile back, which is how I heard the news they were dating, and that Kurt was no longer with his first wife, Sonia. Obviously you missed it, but that doesn't mean it's never been discussed low-key. Some fans were surprised, but no one thought it was necessary to make a big deal over it. Of course, K&A weren't looking for their relationship to be widely publicized in skating publications! People in the skating community have respected their privacy.

AFAIK, David Pelletier and Katia Gordeeva have been dating too. And they have skated together in shows. No one has been gabbing profusely about them either.

Personally, my biggest surprise was that I didn't know that Kurt was single. His divorce never made headlines, at least not on GS.
Surely intentionally kept quiet to protect their kids. Fans don't get to know everything in real time. Good for Kurt and Sonia protecting their kids and being discreet about their break-up.

Last edited:

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
I had heard about K/A a while back... not sure how and where... so not surprised here... but I think it's worth mentioning that nowadays, in this crazy battle to protect individual privacy when social media is begging to reveal what everyone ate for dinner... let alone who is dating whom... I think it's great that some decide to try to stay as far away as needed from the internet crowd .. which is, let's be honest, not always pleasant considering comments we often see on twitter or youtube... or even on specialized forums.

So congrats to them on their wedding and for making sure they wouldn't turn their lives into a circus, as clearly, that's not what they wanted. I think if they were to come here and read this thread (hypothesis on my part) they would be thrilled to find out that not everyone knew :) as it would confirm that they managed to keep some privacy for themselves.

I say it often, we don't need to know everything :) we already are with the skaters during their highest ups and downs... on the ice and in the kiss and cry... I think it's enough :)

mrrice

Record Breaker
Oh of course. I just mean that neither are currently highly visible as competitors. They've been low-key and discreet about their relationship, but it hasn't been a secret. I saw something on Instagram once of them together. Thus, those people who are surprised obviously are not following them closely, which IMO is due to the fact they are not regular competitors on the current scene, no matter how high-profile famous they are in skating.

For sure, IMHO, Kurt & Alissa have both made iconic contributions to figure skating. It's cool they found a connection with each other. Being on the down-low with their relationship reminds me of how very discreet Michelle Kwan has usually been about her personal relationships, aside from her first marriage, which got too much media attention. These days we know practically nothing about Michelle's significant other. And she successfully kept her pregnancy quiet too. 👍
This is an absolute fact. IMO, Michelle having a child without a single cell phone snap of her being pregnant was a huge surprise. Unlike Alissa, Michelle can't slip into another country and lay low like Alissa can. Is Michelle actually in a relationship with the father?

luvsasha

Final Flight
Maybe because it's 21 years between them? It may be right for them but this a generation gap and would have caused lots of gossip I guess.
As someone who fell for someone 17 years older, you can't really chose who you're attracted to. It really depends so much on the people and their personal compatibility as far as relationships go. One of my cousins married someone 13 years younger and they're going to have their 2nd kid together soon <3

Anyway, always loved Alissa. Wishing her and Kurt all the best.

Last edited:

ptvvibezz

MK forever
Final Flight
Country
United-States
This is an absolute fact. IMO, Michelle having a child without a single cell phone snap of her being pregnant was a huge surprise. Unlike Alissa, Michelle can't slip into another country and lay low like Alissa can. Is Michelle actually in a relationship with the father?
In the Instagram post where she announced the birth of her daughter, she included a time-lapse video of her pregnancy. In one of the video stills, Michelle has an engagement ring on...

mrrice

Record Breaker
In the Instagram post where she announced the birth of her daughter, she included a time-lapse video of her pregnancy. In one of the video stills, Michelle has an engagement ring on...
Is the Father in the picture. I wish I'd seen it. She seems very happy and that's what really matters to me.