LA Times on Michelle's Test Skate | Page 5 | Golden Skate

LA Times on Michelle's Test Skate

Finally!!! Is there anyway we can hook up to the announcement? Hopefully some fan will post the results immediately. Baited breaths want to know.:chorus:

Joe

millie

Medalist
Joesitz said:
Finally!!! Is there anyway we can hook up to the announcement? Hopefully some fan will post the results immediately. Baited breaths want to know.:chorus:

Joe

Hey Joe, here is an article from the Associated Press, don't know if you have read it

QUOTE:

The Associated Press was offered one of the two spots in a reporting pool to watch Kwan's performance but declined because of the conditions imposed by the USFS. Pool reporters would be prohibited from reporting what they witnessed at the sessions for several hours, until after the panel announced its decision on whether Kwan could join the Olympic team. F.S. officials also insisted that the pool reporters agree not to write a column about Kwan's performance for 24 hours. "The AP couldn't agree to either of these restrictions," sports editior Terry Taylor said "Her skating is news and the embargo mounted to a news blackout." As for when a column is writen, we belive that's for us to decide.

Does this mean that we will find out the result, later than sooner.

getreal

Spectator
euterpe said:
Even if Kwan does two excellent skates, there will always be the Kwan haterz who will say Emily was robbed of her chance to compete in the Olympics. To them, no outcome that results in Kwan going to Torino (even if she wins a medal) is the wrong outcome.

Emily will have her chance to show her true mettle at Worlds. She could have gone to 4CC and shown it there, but she declined.
the USFS rules were in place before this flap. designed to pick the best team to win medals. the mistake they made was not requiring that Kwan go to Worlds if she goes to Olympics. US may wee lose the 3 spots for ladies in 2007 Worlds.
can someone tell us what Emily Hughes has done as a senior competitor to be considered one of US best? a 4 triple Nationals; disaster at Nationals at the lower levels; only one senior Grand Prix competition. isnt she just another senior lady skater and but for 2 things we wouldnt be reading about her every day: 1. she is Sarahs sister; and 2. she has a never stop PR machine behind her. my god. who has all that money to orchestrate this?

attyfan

Custom Title
Medalist
millie said:
Hey Joe, here is an article from the Associated Press, don't know if you have read it

QUOTE:

The Associated Press was offered one of the two spots in a reporting pool to watch Kwan's performance but declined because of the conditions imposed by the USFS. Pool reporters would be prohibited from reporting what they witnessed at the sessions for several hours, until after the panel announced its decision on whether Kwan could join the Olympic team. F.S. officials also insisted that the pool reporters agree not to write a column about Kwan's performance for 24 hours. "The AP couldn't agree to either of these restrictions," sports editior Terry Taylor said "Her skating is news and the embargo mounted to a news blackout." As for when a column is writen, we belive that's for us to decide.

Does this mean that we will find out the result, later than sooner.

We will find out the results at the press conference; whether we find out any details of how she skated will probably depend on (a) whether the USFSA modifies its demands; or (b) whether the chosen reporters honor them.

Doggygirl

Record Breaker
antmanb said:
Oh come on DG - how else are us Sandhu fans supposed to get to get a kick out of his skating unless we fantasize about where he might place if you take away one (or two!) of the segments??!!!

Ant <clearly in a silly mood cos its friday!>

LOL!!:laugh: You have a point there. And I am a Sandhu fan, so I've probably been subconciously doing this for years. ;)

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
attyfan said:
Jaana -- the comparable situation to Michelle is not Irina going to Torino, but Irina going to Dortmund in 2004. .

I answered to a posting by Kwanford Wife about Irina & Olympic team. That posting was not refering to season 2003-2004.

Kwanford Wife

Record Breaker
Jaana said:
Kwan´s bye cannot be compared to that of Slutskaya, because the latter has ISU results to show from the current season. She has competed in GP, GPF and Europeans and no lady skater in Russian Nationals had results to compete with those that Slutskaya has from the current season.

But this is my point... she didn't show up at the Russian Nationals because she didn't want to... totally different from couldn't.

If we're going to beat this to death based on the concept of "fair" then my question is: why is it fair for an Irina who's been competitng all year vs. an injured Kwan? Irina's ISU results don't make the arguement mute, but even more complicated.

I just don't see what the big deal is... she was injured and couldn't compete. If the point is to send the strongest team, then send the strongest team... a team that includes Kwan. That's why they have test skates & byes for winning athletes, like Kwan & Irina, to ensure that we put our best on the ice when they cannot compete at traditional competitions.

By following the approved process, she's petitioning for the bye - a bye that will only help the USFSA I might add - and after 3:30 we'll know the outcome.

R.D.

Record Breaker
I think we ALREADY know the outcome. It just needs to be confirmed. :cool: Come on, would they REALLY leave her off the team? She's Michelle Kwan! Doesn't matter what she does. Go figure...

Kwanford Wife

Record Breaker
Red Dog said:
I think we ALREADY know the outcome. It just needs to be confirmed. :cool: Come on, would they REALLY leave her off the team? She's Michelle Kwan! Doesn't matter what she does. Go figure...

Ha! That's sorta punny! Of course Kwan won't be left off the team. But its more fun to waste time at work arguing the point.

millie

Medalist
A reporter from FOX News said that the rink where Michelle is skating was closed today from 10:30 - 12:30 today. Keep watching FOX News they may have further details.:) Good luck to Michelle.

Piel

On Edge
Record Breaker
That's so they can set up the David Copperfield mirrors so the judges will actually be watching doctored film of Kwan's greatest moments set to her new music with new costumes. Also, it will take some time for all of the MKF members to decorate the rink and find their seats.:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

millie

Medalist
Piel said:
That's so they can set up the David Copperfield mirrors so the judges will actually be watching doctored film of Kwan's greatest moments set to her new music with new costumes. Also, it will take some time for all of the MKF members to decorate the rink and find their seats.:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

No Piel, that's the time the rink is closed for her to skate. How can you joke at a time this with everyone on the edge of their seats waiting. They probably did all the other things last night. Let's hope that all the MKF fans will be:chorus: :chorus: :not:cry: :cry:

A reporter outside her rink talked to Michelle and she said that it's just like practice.

Last edited:

R.D.

Record Breaker
I actually find it comical that people are hanging on the edge of their seats waiting for the announcement. It's not that bad.

Kwanford Wife

Record Breaker
Red Dog said:
I actually find it comical that people are hanging on the edge of their seats waiting for the announcement. It's not that bad.

Because its more fun that way... how else could I blow off an entire day of work w/o fear of losing money, clients or my job if I couldn't say "But Michelle Kwan's Olympic Destiny is At Stake!!!" :laugh:

VIETgrlTerifa

Record Breaker
ranjake said:
do you know SOMETHING????!!!!....sorry, i'm a freak!

According to MSNBC.com:

The session lasted slightly more than a half-hour at the East West Ice Palace in Artesia, Calif. Kwan started with her long program, hitting various triple and double jumps and combinations, and then the short program, where she fell once on a double axel.

This was from the Associated Press and was repeated on Fox News website.

Also, from the pics of her leaving EW, it seems that she looks pleased with how she did.

I hope we get more info on how she did, but I do think Kwan is going to buy an Italian-English dictionary soon ;).